NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alexander Mattison 2020 Outlook

2019 stats (Rookie Year) -

Rushing: 100 carries for 462 yards, 1 rushing TD

Receiving: 10 recs on 12 targets for 82 yards

Although it's still very early with the breaking Dalvin Cook news, Mattison should be viewed as a top 10 RB option in one of the most run-heavy schemes in the NFL in the event that Cook holds out for a prolonged period of time.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You must work for the cable company.

No.  Game won't happen because my team getting Alexander Mattison in a cake matchup against my chief rival, who also happens to be a Dalvin Cook owner, is simply too good to be true.

Dalvin got injured Week 15 last year and missed Week 16 and 17. Mattison missed Week 15, 16, and 17 with an injury of his own. He has started 0 games, you're completely talking out of your a** an

Posted Images

2 hours ago, pushaZ said:

I don't think Cook will play this year at all. guys like this are why I draft in May.

I never get why people draft before mid to late August.

Fantasy football is already the most luck based fantasy and drafting this early makes it even more so with injuries, holdouts, and trades.

Imagine drafting Cook like a week ago. RIP. 

20 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Fantasy football is already the most luck based fantasy and drafting this early makes it even more so with injuries, holdouts, and trades.

Yeah, that'll get you sometimes. But drafting Cook should have been seen as an obvious thing to not do. So many red flags is not even funny.

If you can target high upside guys behind these risky situations, like Mattison, drafting in May is great.

Plus you get to draft rookies in the fourth or fifth round that can slide up to borderline first rounders by September.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Yeah, that'll get you sometimes. But drafting Cook should have been seen as an obvious thing to not do. So many red flags is not even funny.

The only red flags with Cook are injury. If he’s not injured he’s pretty much a guaranteed top 5 RB in that offense.

A holdout wouldn’t even cross your mind if taking Cook. With Kamara maybe it’s something that would get considered but with Cook it’s way out of left field. 

Just now, Gohawks said:

The only red flags with Cook are injury. If he’s not injured he’s pretty much a guaranteed top 5 RB in that offense.

A holdout wouldn’t even cross your mind if taking Cook. With Kamara maybe it’s something that would get considered but with Cook it’s way out of left field.

I think a Cook holdout makes perfect sense. One more major injury and he's Derrius Guice. Bad knee, bad shoulder, runs like Marshawn, got a guy who runs like Marshawn right behind him. He'll likely never play 16 games. Not behind a great oline. Crazy good RB UFA group next year, and that's not even including rookies.

If anyone's value could fluctuate more in 12 months it's him. I'm sure he wants to be able to feed his family for life. And if he holds out all year he"ll get enough money from SOME team that'll let him do that.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

I think a Cook holdout makes perfect sense. One more major injury and he's Derrius Guice. Bad knee, bad shoulder, runs like Marshawn, got a guy who runs like Marshawn right behind him. He'll likely never play 16 games. Not behind a great oline. Crazy good RB UFA group next year, and that's not even including rookies.

If anyone's value could fluctuate more in 12 months it's him. I'm sure he wants to be able to feed his family for life. And if he holds out all year he"ll get enough money from SOME team that'll let him do that.

His contract is worth nearly 7 million. Even if he doesn’t play another snap after this contract ends he should be set with life along with his family if he manages and incests the money properly.

As for your first point, it makes no sense because the Vikings know it as well. They’re never going to pay him with his injury risk.

1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

His contract is worth nearly 7 million. Even if he doesn’t play another snap after this contract ends he should be set with life along with his family if he manages and incests the money properly.

As for your first point, it makes no sense because the Vikings know it as well. They’re never going to pay him with his injury risk.

Hmm yeah, maybe the "feeding the family" thing is a bit hyperbolic.

He gets paid 1.3 million this year. How much did Melvin Gordon make with the Broncos? 8 million per? What about LeVeon Bell? 4 years, 52 million? Of course Bell won't see all that. But he's at 20 million plus through two years.

What are Cook's odds of another serious injury? I'd have to imagine they're high enough to make that 1.3 million a sound gamble. Really the gamble for him would be taking that 1.3 million and risking the potential second contract that may never come. And it sounds like he and his agent agree.

Of course he may have reasonable demands and a deal may get done. Who knows. A lot still in the air.

3 hours ago, Gohawks said:

In a league with some posters on here, he was drafted Saturday with #9 pick and then this news Monday....Happy that owner drafted him before I did

Edited by hockeyfan77
  • Haha 2

I don't think there is a scenario where Cook sits out the whole year.  He is in more of a Melvin Gordon situation and not a Leveon Bell situation.  He doesn't have the leverage (injury history with very strong backup RB and contract issues).  Melvin Gordon had to report eventually.  So will Cook.  He may not be the starter at that point, but he will have to report.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, pushaZ said:

Has anyone ruled out the possibility that Dalvin's shoulder is still hurting him and that this holdout is an attempt to keep this info away from the team doctors?

Dalvin might’ve.

• Haha 1

Mike Boone is the man to have. Mattison missed time for being injured as well. Boone is going to mix both of them in a pot and cook them lie Gumbo. Dalvin Cook is going to accept a payment around 10 million a year. He sees the market and knows the 2021 NFL Draft is deep with RBS. 

• Haha 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

my guess is dalvin will be there week 1 and when you look at the vikings wr it is prob one of the weakest in the league without diggs. Irv smith might have some prime jordan reed in him.As a non dalvin owner in shallow leagues it is hard to hold onto mattison unless you are dead set on fading dalvin staying healthy in 2020. i own a mattison ffpc share as a non dalvin owner and i can no envision dropping mattison all season unless it is clear that boone has jumped him in the depth chart. 

3 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

seeing people snag irv and drop Mattison, what's the haps?

Dalvin reportedly told Zimmer he’s going to report. Between that and the new CBA it seems super unlikely that cook is going to hold out, but mattison is still a very valuable handcuff. 

3 minutes ago, aapox said:

Dalvin reportedly told Zimmer he’s going to report. Between that and the new CBA it seems super unlikely that cook is going to hold out, but mattison is still a very valuable handcuff. 

Yea, just didn't understand why yahoo was showing drops but I mean I guess that's just attributed to people who don't have cook and don't want to carry a cuff

• Like 1
Dan Graziano:
Players were told on NFLPA rep call that, as long as you're on the Week 1 roster and you play at least one game, your contract this year won't toll and you'll still get an accrued season and benefits.
3:19 PM · Jul 24, 2020

Adam Schefter:
Dalvin Cook’s agent, Zac Hiller: “First, congrats to Coach Zimmer on his well-earned extension. However, Dalvin has not spoken to him in regards to reporting to camp. We are unsure why this was said. I hope Dalvin can continue to play a major role in the Vikings future success.”
6:59 PM · Jul 25, 2020
Edited by MrCantaloupe
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

What are everyone's thoughts on his keeper/dynasty value? Cook is UFA next year and hasn't signed an extension yet. The Vikings also just traded for the DE from Jax, and he'll need to get paid now. We've seen big RB contracts backfire, so maybe MIN is thinking about that. Maybe a chance Cook is elsewhere in 2021 and Mattison takes over next year? 

• tonycpsu locked and unlocked this topic