NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Drew Lock 2020 Outlook

J.T. Marlin

It's a stretch he finishes as a QB1, but claiming he'll be lucky to finish the season and QB32 is his ceiling is completely insane and it shows that you've never actually watched the kid play. He has elite arm strength, it's just a matter of finding out if he is Jay Cutler 2.0 or something better/worse. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

58% and 61% completion percentage his last two college seasons at Missouri?  Questionable decision making?  Being and Elway pick?  I think the NFL is going to eat this kid alive, unfortunately.  Because he is a good rap song lip-syncer.

I don’t think this is anywhere close to a valid argument. Drew Brees had a 61% career completion percentage in Purdue. The highest he ever had in a season was a 63%. He also threw more interceptions in 3 seasons than drew lock did his 4 years as a starter And now Brees is the most accurate NFL qb ever. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Yes, I would say QB22--25 is overrated for this player.

QB32 if he plays all season.

17 hours ago, BMcP said:

This requires some form of explanation.

It's an absurd take that cannot be taken seriously.  DEN does not have a potentially winning QB behind Lock and, unless he's historically bad (and Lock was far from historically bad during his 5 game stint last season), he's playing the whole year.

I'm sure your takes on Goff after his disaster rookie year were how great he was going to be in year 2 for fantasy under McVay...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, J.T. Marlin said:

It's an absurd take that cannot be taken seriously.  DEN does not have a potentially winning QB behind Lock and, unless he's historically bad (and Lock was far from historically bad during his 5 game stint last season), he's playing the whole year.

I'm sure your takes on Goff after his disaster rookie year were how great he was going to be in year 2 for fantasy under McVay...

Goff is horrible, too.  Maybe I should revise my projection--Lock moved up to QB31.

45 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Goff is horrible, too.  Maybe I should revise my projection--Lock moved up to QB31.

i still don’t understand the hatred. You’ve listed no reasonable explanations. Do you just not like his style of play or something unquantifiable? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

i still don’t understand the hatred. You’ve listed no reasonable explanations. Do you just not like his style of play or something unquantifiable? 

Drew Lock seems like a cut-rate Jay Cutler to me.  I don't think it is going to work out.  But I will keep him on my watch list.

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Drew Lock seems like a cut-rate Jay Cutler to me.  I don't think it is going to work out.  But I will keep him on my watch list.

Because they played for the same franchise?  Can you provide some support for your reasoning?

Lock has a lot of similarities to Cutler, who player for Denver, Chicago and Miami.  Strong arm, questionable decision making, history of poor coaching on losing teams in college.

Cutler was more highly rated as a prospect, and he had just an okay NFL career.  I think Drew Lock is worse than Cutler.  So I think the NFL defenses are going to chew him up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Lock has a lot of similarities to Cutler, who player for Denver, Chicago and Miami.  Strong arm, questionable decision making, history of poor coaching on losing teams in college.

Cutler was more highly rated as a prospect, and he had just an okay NFL career.  I think Drew Lock is worse than Cutler.  So I think the NFL defenses are going to chew him up.

His coaches are top-notch now...agree on the strong-arm point.  I expect his judgment to improve as he acclimates to his scheme and develops a rapport with receivers other than Sutton.

3 hours ago, BMcP said:

His coaches are top-notch now...agree on the strong-arm point.  I expect his judgment to improve as he acclimates to his scheme and develops a rapport with receivers other than Sutton.

Not sure how much coaching Lock is going to get this offseason.  Lock was not getting first team reps last TC because Flacco was the starter.  And I am not at all sure that there will BE any first team reps leading up to the 2020 season.

On 6/27/2020 at 11:28 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

Not sure how much coaching Lock is going to get this offseason.  Lock was not getting first team reps last TC because Flacco was the starter.  And I am not at all sure that there will BE any first team reps leading up to the 2020 season.

Not even sure about a season happening, honestly.  But if it does, I’m intrigued by his possibilities.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BMcP said:

Not even sure about a season happening, honestly.  But if it does, I’m intrigued by his possibilities.

If the season is canceled, I am going to spend a lot of typing time explaining why I would have been right, had it not been.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

If the season is canceled, I am going to spend a lot of typing time explaining why I would have been right, had it not been.

I think it would be a golden opportunity for all of us. I mean, for years to come we'll all be the champion of the season that never was.

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2020 at 2:59 PM, mocha4313 said:

I want the Broncos to suck as much as the next guy but this isn't right.

His only bad game was in a snowstorm on the road against the Super Bowl Champs

And those "trash heap Texans" won a playoff game

Houston Texans fan here.  

They also gave up like 53 points in the playoffs in 3 quarters when they had a 24 - 0 lead and lost by 20 points.

Their offense being solid doesn't take away from their defense being a trash heap.  I don't bother checking stats, cause I trust my balls, but I'd be willing to bet they were in bottom 3-5 of every single defensive category in 2019.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 3:01 PM, mocha4313 said:

Stidham sucks though.

And Pat Shurmur is a great OC (not a good head coach--but he got Case Keenum one game away from the Super Bowl)

I want nothing to do with Melvin Gordon because he is just not good at this point (3.8 YPC and fumbling problems show that) but I see nothing wrong with the Broncos passing offense or even Lindsay as a sneaky PPR flex play

Convince my league mates to draft all the Broncos please.

On 6/27/2020 at 12:49 PM, Stonej14 said:

I, and clearly a few others of us, don't understand the love.

I wasn't impressed in college.

Still not impressed in the Pros so far.

New OC in COVID Pandemic year and the guy seems dumb on the field (I've watched his decision making).  This isn't clicking overnight.  I feel defense is a much more natural form of football.  With fewer practices and less gelling I believe a defense (with solid players) can still have some success.  I can't say the same for offense with fewer practices with a guy I'm viewing as below average intelligent QB with one of the youngest offenses in the NFL.

Bottom line.  I think defenses gonna eat Lock and the Broncos up for COVID lunch.

Yall that think this dude is so good, feel free to call your shot.  If you're playing in a dynasty league and don't expect him to be a viable starter until 2022 please preface your arguments with that so I can just ignore your comments.

I'm playing to win titles in 2020 though, and starting a QB25ish (Where I predict he lands ON A PER GAME AVERAGE) will NOT get me into my playoffs.  I need a top 10 QB to make the playoffs, and I don't think any of yall can honestly tell me you give this guy a fighter's chance to crack top 10.  Feel free to call your shot though, I'm sure he finishes within 2 of where I predicted.

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares

I think this is a make or break year for Lock. If he falters, I see Elway going for a proven veteran next year (Cam, Winston, Dalton even). Can’t wait long for a young QB to figure it out when you have an aging Von Miller making 20 million a year

4 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

I think this is a make or break year for Lock. If he falters, I see Elway going for a proven veteran next year (Cam, Winston, Dalton even). Can’t wait long for a young QB to figure it out when you have an aging Von Miller making 20 million a year

If he wouldn't go after Cam for $1 M guaranteed on in incentive based salary to POTENTIALLY get $7 M, he's not EVER going after Cam.  That's pretty evident IMO.

6 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

If he wouldn't go after Cam for $1 M guaranteed on in incentive based salary to POTENTIALLY get $7 M, he's not EVER going after Cam.  That's pretty evident IMO.

There were apparently a few teams that did not want Cam or Jameis as a backup to their young QB so they were not looking over their shoulder all year. Maybe Denver was one of them. Jets, Cleveland also? Some teams just don’t want the potential controversy after 1 bad game. Maybe Cam is never in Broncos plans, but I do think Lock has to show vast improvement this year to guarentee his starting job next summer

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

No, it's not. He will get his whole rookie contract unless he falls completely flat on his face. If Elway brings in another "proven" veteran only to continue sucking the fanbase will revolt.

Edit: can't confirm for sure since I'm just shooting from the hip phone posting but this will be something like Lock's 5th or 6th offense in as many years of football played. He should get at least two years with Shurmur's offense before his long term viability will be assessed.

Edited by lolcopter