NBC Sports Edge Forums

Comprehensive List of Opt-Out Players

1 hour ago, WahooManiac said:

Sigh. I get it.  But my username becomes less relevant by the day! 

I hope they don't pick something super safe and lame. Go back to the Spiders if you must change.  

My vote would be the Naps!

• Like 1
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Full list so far: Mike Leake, Ryan Zimmerman, Ian Desmond, Tyson Ross, David Price, Felix Hernandez, Nick Markakis, Hector Noesi, Buster Posey, Michael Kopech   https://www.sportingnews

Tell me Angel Hernandez is one of the opt outs please

45 minutes ago, charger_ss24 said:

My vote would be the Naps!

Well,  we also can go history angle and pick from:

In no particular order as im going from memory,  that could be slightly impaired currently

Bluebirds/Blues

Rustlers

Perfectos

Broncos

Infants/Babes

Wanderers

Napoleon's/Naps

Forest Citys

Im sure i missed a few lol 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

Well,  we also can go history angle and pick from:

In no particular order as im going from memory,  that could be slightly impaired currently

Bluebirds/Blues

Rustlers

Perfectos

Broncos

Infants/Babes

Wanderers

Napoleon's/Naps

Forest Citys

Im sure i missed a few lol 

How about Cleveland Native Americans, or maybe Cleveland Indigenous Americans, although this one would turn into CIA real quik.I would vote for Cleveland Humans Who Were Here Before Others as their new team name.

• Like 1

Rotoworld blurb about David Price:

David Price has decided against playing this season, he announced Saturday.

Price said he looks forward to representing the Dodgers next year. His absence will open up a spot in the rotation for Ross Stripling, Dustin May or Tony Gonsolin. It's possible that two of the three could open up as starters should the team choose to go with a six-man rotation.

Jul 4, 2020, 4:44 PM ET

Once a player ends up in an ICU and I think a ton of players will opt out.  I think the league will finish with a lot of minor leaguers getting their taste in the show.  Owners might like that as well in that the guys like Price walk away from $11M owed and replaced by a minor leaguer on a league minimum and their TV revenue is still the same. 

• Like 1

Not an opt out but someone to monitor if you are thinking of drafting him or own him:

Zack Wheeler -- whose wife is due to give birth to their first child later this month -- admitted Sunday that he's unsure whether he will play this season after the baby is born.

Either way, Wheeler will miss at least two starts once his wife gives birth, as he must go through the intake process again, etc. It sounds like it's possible, though, that he might elect to not come back at all this year. The pitcher added that while he feels comfortable about playing right now, he's always thinking about whether playing is the right thing to do.

Source: Matt Gelb on Twitter            Jul 5, 2020, 12:29 PM ET

Also:

Sean Doolittle said Sunday that "I think I'm planning on playing" this season.

He added, however, that "if at any point I feel unsafe ... then I'll opt out." Doolittle also noted that he had his intake testing on Friday and is still awaiting the results. The reliever is just one of what's surely many players wrestling with the decision of whether or not to play.

Source: Mark Zuckerman on Twitter   Jul 5, 2020, 12:11 PM ET

I include this quote here just to show that some players are still debating this in their head and take the safety issues very seriously.  I think Doolittle isn't in some small minority either with his take.  The recent re-surge in the last week plus is giving a lot of players pause.

Doolittle’s wife has a chronic lung condition, so that in particular makes him one to watch here. He says they have a plan to keep her safe and he thinks he’ll play, but that’s why he won’t confirm 100% yet that he won’t opt out.

• Thanks 1

Price has been up and down in the last four years anyway, although this was supposed to be one of his "good" years if he followed the trend.  But this isn't football where you go to war with your brothers, and have your finger amputated so you can continue to play.  He's a veteran, past his prime, has made his money.  So he made the decision that is best for his family and safety.  Can't judge him for that.

At this point, it's clear the owners are all about saving money, so yes, Dodger management probably doesn't care that he's opting out.  As I understand it, if a player opts out, he doesn't get paid, right? Maybe I'm wrong about that.  60 game season, the owners are really just trying to keep afloat relatively speaking and try to minimize how much money they're losing.  They don't really care about the product that they're being forced to put on the field.  Just any product.  The WS winner of this year will always have an asterisk or a "But..." attached to them anyway.

Kris Bryant just had a baby during this pandemic.  I'll be curious to see what decision he makes.  Maybe the plan would be to stay away from the family during this short season.  But that would be hard as a brand new father.

Edited by CooL
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Caelum said:

Doolittle’s wife has a chronic lung condition, so that in particular makes him one to watch here. He says they have a plan to keep her safe and he thinks he’ll play, but that’s why he won’t confirm 100% yet that he won’t opt out.

Yeah.  I wonder if that plan just basically means he doesn't see her for the duration of the season.  That's the only way to keep her safe.

I'm also wondering if a lot of these players opting out are really following strict social distancing and quarantining procedures.  Which means Instacarting everything, not being in public places where you're within six feet of each other, not going to restaurants especially dining inside, not working out with teammates, etc.  If they are indeed really concerned about the health of their family and putting them first, then they're hopefully taking all precautions to stay safe, I would hope.  

37 minutes ago, itslarry said:

For players that opt out and recieve no pay, does it still count as a year on their contract, just one without salary?

Or does it just vanish, and contract picks up next year like nothing happened?

For guys like Carassco and Rizzo leukemia and cancer surivors they get paid and year of service. Others who aren't playing for health and safety reasons or are more at risk type thing also will get paid and their year of service should they not play. Everyone else who opts out gets no pay, no service time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, CooL said:

...    At this point, it's clear the owners are all about saving money, so yes, Dodger management probably doesn't care that he's opting out.  As I understand it, if a player opts out, he doesn't get paid, right?   ...

Nope.  It's like turner46 said above.  The agreement lists situation where players can opt out and get paid.  Add to the ones turner46 mention is family situations like Trout's and Wheeler's wives about to give birth.  I don't know the details and correct me if I'm wrong but I think that is also covered by the agreement and they would get paid in full if they opt out.  I don't know if Price qualifies under the agreement or if he won't get paid. 

It would be good to know the exact conditions the Players Association and MLB have agreed on in that regard.  But definitely Doolittle could opt out and get paid because of what Caelum said in his post above about his wife having a lung condition because pre-existing conditions extend to family members is my understanding anyway.  Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Nope.  It's like turner46 said above.  The agreement lists situation where players can opt out and get paid.  Add to the ones turner46 mention is family situations like Trout's and Wheeler's wives about to give birth.  I don't know the details and correct me if I'm wrong but I think that is also covered by the agreement and they would get paid in full if they opt out.  I don't know if Price qualifies under the agreement or if he won't get paid. 

It would be good to know the exact conditions the Players Association and MLB have agreed on in that regard.  But definitely Doolittle could opt out and get paid because of what Caelum said in his post above about his wife having a lung condition because pre-existing conditions extend to family members is my understanding anyway.  Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

The player has to be high risk to receive pay if they opt out according to the agreement however the club can make exceptions at their own disgression.

• Thanks 2
20 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

The player has to be high risk to receive pay if they opt out according to the agreement however the club can make exceptions at their own disgression.

Thanks.  I'd think the teams will be pretty liberal with their definitions because it would look bad otherwise.  Price may have no real reasons but Trout and Wheeler do to most people.

2 hours ago, duke of queens said:

This article out of Boston suggests that Price isn't high risk.  https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2020/07/david-price-opting-out-will-save-boston-red-sox-nearly-6-million-could-mean-cbt-relief-leading-to-expensive-additions-in-2020.html

So he forfeits his almost $11.85M salary.

Which is how it should be.  You don't play, you don't get paid.  And it's nice if you're considered high risk that they'll pay you.  (Meaningless aside:  Lots of essential workers in this country are high risk, yet if they don't go to work, they likely don't get paid.  The charmed life of a professional athlete.)

Anthony Rizzo, a Hodgkin's survivor, is playing.  I'd be curious to learn more about Price's reasoning.  Not the best way to show your new teammates that you're one of them, but who knows what's going on.

13 hours ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Is there official paperwork players sign that blocks them from changing their minds should the MLB protocols prove to be effective in keeping players safe?

Would Price be worth stashing with an NA spot (if your league has them of course)? 

I do not believe he is eligible to play now.

On 6/29/2020 at 5:01 PM, countseth said:

The idea is to tally the list of all players opting out of the abbreviated 2020 season. Please list all names on each additional entry. 
Maybe we can add an additional column of players who might benefit as a result of each opt-out?

To start:

Mike Leake

Joe Ross

Ryan Zimmerman

countseth if you could update this with any new players confirmed to be out that would be great.