NBC Sports Edge Forums

Comprehensive List of Opt-Out Players

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

More teams are NOT in the playoffs.  That was a proposal that looked like it might get accepted but from what I read the final agreement just calls for the usual 10 teams making the playoffs again this season.  After FanDuel posted the below they just went on to cite the exact same playoff rules from last year to the letter including just the 10 teams with NL and AL Wild Cards having the one game and out thing as usual then first round of 5 games before the remaining rounds of 7 games.   Same old same old in other words.

He didn’t say more teams are in the playoffs. He said more teams in the playoff race. Which is true. There’s 60 games left and everyone is tied for first. Unlike the usual marathon, where great teams have time to distance themselves, anything can happen. Going to be a sprint to those playoff spots. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Full list so far: Mike Leake, Ryan Zimmerman, Ian Desmond, Tyson Ross, David Price, Felix Hernandez, Nick Markakis, Hector Noesi, Buster Posey, Michael Kopech   https://www.sportingnews

Tell me Angel Hernandez is one of the opt outs please

6 hours ago, sjs1890 said:

That would be brutal for the angels having to pay Trout, while wasting Rendons first year while having zero consistent pitching. Trout sitting out could bury the Angels for years to come.

If a player opt's out they are not getting paid correct?

13 minutes ago, MrWannaBee said:

If a player opt's out they are not getting paid correct?

It depends.  If the player meets the requirements set of for just this then they will get paid.  That is if they have underlying conditions and/or their families or family situations in some cases.

6 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

He didn’t say more teams are in the playoffs. He said more teams in the playoff race. Which is true. There’s 60 games left and everyone is tied for first. Unlike the usual marathon, where great teams have time to distance themselves, anything can happen. Going to be a sprint to those playoff spots. 

Right, I never said anything about more teams in the playoffs I knew it was going to be the same. Reading is hard I guess for some these days, but yeah it will be a sprint and more teams should be in the hunt.

• Like 1

The health concern makes this a pretty wise choice:

Jordan Hicks has opted out of MLB's planned 2020 season, citing "pre-existing health concerns."

Hicks is a Type 1 diabetic, so he will still receive his full prorated salary for the 60-game campaign. The hard-throwing 23-year-old right-hander underwent Tommy John surgery last June and had been projected to return to the Cardinals' bullpen sometime around early-to-mid August. Instead, he'll continue his rehab at home. Hicks should open the 2021 season as the primary closer in St. Louis. For this year, it could be Carlos Martinez, presuming he doesn't transition back into a starting role. Giovanny Gallegos is missing from summer camp workouts for undisclosed reasons. Ryan Helsley looks like a possible darkhorse for saves.

Source: St. Louis Cardinals on Twitter

• Like 1

Not players but related:

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that 11 MLB umpires have opted out of participating during the planned 2020 season.

No word on any specifics just yet, but that is a rather large number. In addition to the umpires' own health, Heyman notes that some of them have family members who are ill. Much like the players, it's understandable why anyone would decide to sit out a season being played in the middle of a pandemic.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter               Jul 14, 2020, 11:54 AM ET

I guess some AAA umps get their chance now.

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Not players but related:

I guess some umpires are older and figure it’s not a good season for having people yell in their faces every night.   I wonder what Earl Weaver would have been like during this.   He’d have to be able to kick dirt at least six feet.   

I continue to be hopeful that MLB is gonna have a season and playoffs. They seem to be figuring things out. There were links to work out and they seem to be getting worked out. 
To be honest, this process is prob necessary for a 2021 season. People kept saying “just pack it up until next year.” But the virus isn’t necessarily gone by then. We might be living in similar conditions next spring to what we have now. So getting some of the groundwork laid now is valuable for baseball and any sport or public gathering. Letting organizations adapt and adjust to new protocols, and getting players and others used to masks, social distancing, precautions in lifestyle, interviews done a new way, empty or mostly empty ballparks. All new norms that have to be adapted to for both this year and perhaps next year or longer. 
So I think there’s value in doing this, I’m glad they’re doing it, and so far, I’d say things are going as well as I’d hoped. 
Selfishly, I’m happy that all the opt-outs so far have either been fantasy-irrelevant, or haven’t affected any of my teams. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, countseth said:

I continue to be hopeful that MLB is gonna have a season and playoffs. They seem to be figuring things out. There were links to work out and they seem to be getting worked out. 
To be honest, this process is prob necessary for a 2021 season. People kept saying “just pack it up until next year.” But the virus isn’t necessarily gone by then. We might be living in similar conditions next spring to what we have now. So getting some of the groundwork laid now is valuable for baseball and any sport or public gathering. Letting organizations adapt and adjust to new protocols, and getting players and others used to masks, social distancing, precautions in lifestyle, interviews done a new way, empty or mostly empty ballparks. All new norms that have to be adapted to for both this year and perhaps next year or longer. 
So I think there’s value in doing this, I’m glad they’re doing it, and so far, I’d say things are going as well as I’d hoped. 
Selfishly, I’m happy that all the opt-outs so far have either been fantasy-irrelevant, or haven’t affected any of my teams. 

Agreed, they can learn from this to make a smoother 2021 season.  I read somewhere that things won't be back to "normal" until summer of 2022, so all sports will have to find a way to coexist with the virus in the meantime.

On 7/14/2020 at 2:20 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Not players but related:

Tell me Angel Hernandez is one of the opt outs please

• Haha 3

It's good to know who's opting out for sure. The ones that make it hard for fantasyballers are the players still undecided like Wheeler and missing for "undisclosed" reasons. Kela and Gallegos are two guys who, according to the last updates I saw, are still missing from camp, but no public explanation.

3 hours ago, papasmurf said:

It's good to know who's opting out for sure. The ones that make it hard for fantasyballers are the players still undecided like Wheeler and missing for "undisclosed" reasons. Kela and Gallegos are two guys who, according to the last updates I saw, are still missing from camp, but no public explanation.

"Missing" tends to indicate a positive test result, not an opt out.

• Like 1

Minor opt-out to note:

Collin McHugh (elbow) has opted out of the 2020 season.

McHugh's case is more about an injury than the COVID-19 pandemic, as he has struggled to bounce back from an elbow issue that plagued him last year in Houston. The 30-year-old right-hander was going to be on the injured list for most of -- if not all of -- MLB's planned 60-game 2020 campaign. 

Source: Ian Browne on Twitter                  Jul 19, 2020, 4:28 PM ET

He was going to be the swingman/6th starter originally when signed.  Could have been in rotation for sure if he had recovered.  Red Sox need to start recruiting sandlot pitchers at this point, hah.