NBC Sports Edge Forums

I pre text:  mods. If there is this existing thread, please merge mine

with the covid 19, how are league managers handling 2020?

im thinking(assuming nfl starts normal), normal draft, normal buy in, if league gets shut down immediatlely, top scorer wins.  Or just give the money back?

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm the Commish in my ESPN league. This weekend, I had to face my opponent who owned Taysom Hill. He slotted him in his TE spot and had Mahomes in his QB spot. Some other members in my league talked a

Heres my thing: it was well established Taysom's position eligibility before the season.  If a commissioner wanted to make a rule PRIOR to the season I get that. But to try to pull rank during the sea

Posted Images

For my league, I would like to do extra IR spots (probably 2) reserved for coronavirus cases only. But I don't trust ESPN to make timely 'out' designations. I think I will allow each team to drop the player from their roster while retaining their rights, so long as they post that as their intention with a link to a blue checkmark media source confirming the diagnosis. Pickups that were already diagnosed are not eligible unless you use your standard IR spot.

Money back to everyone if a certain threshold of weeks are not reached (I'm thinking 8). If the threshold is reached, pay out regular season standings and split the playoff payments evenly among all teams still alive.

Good call getting the ball rolling on this. I love Cantaloupe's post as I was thinking very similarly.

My plan (12tm league w/ 2 flex, std scoring w/ yd bonuses):

Put for league vote on adding a) 1 roster spot; b) 1 IR spot; c) 1 roster spot and IR spot - currently have 6 bench

as well as

Confirming with league that payout and winning will be as follows: If 8 game threshold is reached and season canceled, winner will be standings leader with points as deciding factor, normal payouts (1st 2nd 3rd and most points); If 8 game threshold is not reached and the season is canceled, all players will be refunded.

Our main league is switching to dynasty this year, so I'm kind of worried how this all turns out. We essentially did 2 measures:

- we decided to start with 10 taxi squad spots and instead of allowing only rookies, we will also allow sophmore players this year (I will manage that manually) so the pool of players is bigger (also we set the deadline to adding to the TS to end of reg fantasy season, so during the reg season you can still add players)

- we have 5 IR spots where everything is allowed (IR, out, NA, DNR, Doubtfull) as long as it's corona related (again...manually checked by me)

• Like 1

I am going to hold the draft as normal, as of now. However I will bring it up at the draft and have the league decide which direction we want to go if for some reason season is cancelled. I will also be adding an extra IR and bench spot this year. We do play IDP, so those IR spots can fill up quickly. 

• 4 weeks later...

For those who do an in person draft, how are you going about drafting this year?  I hate 100% online drafts and want to come up with a good alternative.  Right now I'm leaning towards doing a Zoom call with the entire league while streaming the draft board on a site like Twitch.

3 hours ago, SnickSnack said:

For those who do an in person draft, how are you going about drafting this year?  I hate 100% online drafts and want to come up with a good alternative.  Right now I'm leaning towards doing a Zoom call with the entire league while streaming the draft board on a site like Twitch.

Zoom call, still host a party for whomever wants to come over in my league, but if they dont, no harm no foul, just zoom in and fire up the clickydraft

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, SnickSnack said:

I do something even better and easier and overall more enjoyable as its like a little 2 to 3 day event..we do a slow draft and I plug the picks into this board that everyone watches 

https://clickydraft.com/draftapp/board/171991

Its fun because it's like a real NFL draft a bit waiting for the picks to come thru. Takes us about 2 and half days but as I said thats what is fun, its not a wham bam over in 2 hours setup and since fantasy comes once a year I love the drafts to last a little 

But yea id imagine zoom is best for stand in option for in person drafts 

Edited by Savatage79
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

I do something even better and easier and overall more enjoyable as its like a little 2 to 3 day event..we do a slow draft and I plug the picks into this board that everyone watches 

https://clickydraft.com/draftapp/board/171991

Its fun because it's like a real NFL draft a bit waiting for the picks to come thru. Takes us about 2 and half days but as I said thats what is fun, its not a wham bam over in 2 hours setup and since fantasy comes once a year I love the drafts to last a little 

But yea id imagine zoom is best for stand in option for in person drafts 

Slow draft, we do that for the rotoworld mock real league

but, theres nothing better than a true draft party, one of my favorite times of the year

• Like 1
8 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Slow draft, we do that for the rotoworld mock real league

but, theres nothing better than a true draft party, one of my favorite times of the year

Agreed. 

It's unfortunately looking like it might be taken away this year too. 

I have zero clue how I'm gonna handle my live auction draft of 11 years. Having 1-2 on a phone or Skype is doable. Having 12 already feels impossible and I haven't even tried it yet. 

34 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Agreed. 

I have zero clue how I'm gonna handle my live auction draft of 11 years. Having 1-2 on a phone or Skype is doable. Having 12 already feels impossible and I haven't even tried it yet. 

I've been in plenty large online meetings with 20 or more people over the past period. It takes a bit of discipline, but it's not impossible.

Do a test a couple days beforehand so you can be sure everyone has the technology set up correctly and you have some rules in place so people speak in turn etc.

8 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

I've been in plenty large online meetings with 20 or more people over the past period. It takes a bit of discipline, but it's not impossible.

Do a test a couple days beforehand so you can be sure everyone has the technology set up correctly and you have some rules in place so people speak in turn etc.

There's zero discipline in a drinking Fantasy Football Auction Draft.

THere's zero rules either.  You just yell a number out before the buzzer and half the people will be on delays.

I've done 40 person meetings for work, with fear of embarassing yourself, and everyone's sober.

These 2 will not have any similarities IMO.

• Like 1

Can I get yalls thoughts on my proposal to my league?

FYI - This is ONLY IFF we don't complete 16 regular season games.

If the season makes it to 8 games then I would like

1st Place - Best record (Tie breaker points)
2nd Place - 2nd best record (Tie breaker points)
3rd Place - 3rd best record (Tie breaker points)
4th Place - HIGHEST REMAINING POINTS

FYI - There's a separate pot to exclusively reward high points.

If the season goes 7 games or less, I'm leaning full refund to everyone.

I haven't quite locked in the total amount of games yet either though, I'm still going back and forth on that one.

8 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Can I get yalls thoughts on my proposal to my league?

FYI - This is ONLY IFF we don't complete 16 regular season games.

If the season makes it to 8 games then I would like

1st Place - Best record (Tie breaker points)
2nd Place - 2nd best record (Tie breaker points)
3rd Place - 3rd best record (Tie breaker points)
4th Place - HIGHEST REMAINING POINTS

FYI - There's a separate pot to exclusively reward high points.

If the season goes 7 games or less, I'm leaning full refund to everyone.

I haven't quite locked in the total amount of games yet either though, I'm still going back and forth on that one.

I posted what my league is doing in another thread, but what would your league do if it got shut down during the fantasy playoffs? 

12 minutes ago, SnickSnack said:

I posted what my league is doing in another thread, but what would your league do if it got shut down during the fantasy playoffs? 

My Basketball League actually had this happen.

Everything divided out evenly between playoff teams.

Once playoffs begin everything is reset IMO.

The biggest difference is my basketball team divided money evenly between 6 teams.

I'm not commish, so I just accepted the decision.

I do believe though that the 2 teams with 1st round BYE weeks should've deserved more money as they are guaranteed to be final 4, but those 2 teams didn't fight for that and I was one of the 4 outliers so I wasn't gonna fight for them.

Obviously w/ basketball no one saw any of this coming last October.  Today, we can see and prepare for this.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I will now propose a scenario where this happens as well for the league.

4 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

8 games sounds fair, so does your proposal. For the playoffs it makes sense to just divide the money but you'll have to consider which week of the play-offs it's cancelled. In any case, that may well be a moot point.

• Like 1
On 7/28/2020 at 9:52 PM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Agreed. 

In this unprecedented time, I think you have to move it to an online platform. And one like Yahoo or ESPN where the entire auction is online and no live bidding and “going once twice...”. So that means likely you won’t be seeing faces or even hearing people talk. I suppose you could get everyone to be on a Zoom call on their phone and then at the same time have everyone on a laptop or desktop to log on to the platform to draft, but not everyone might be able to or even want to do that.

I feel it would be irresponsible to host a draft party of 12 or 14 guys for obvious reasons. But if you feel you must... Maybe you instruct everyone to get covid tested and need to quarantine after the test is done and until you come to the draft. Hold it outside and set it up so people are sitting six feet apart. Everyone brings their own food. Clorox wipe down everything including the bathroom when it’s over.  I know I wouldn’t feel comfortable hosting because sadly I don’t trust some of the guys in my league to be taking this seriously and wouldn’t want to risk my family’s health. 
Nothing is normal in 2020. I think it would be perfectly reasonable to move the draft online.

• Like 1

I don't know when (just checked today), but Sleeper added a special status flag (out, IR, DNP etc.) called "C" including the function to allow said players to be eligable for IR.

Our League decided that we allow DNP on IR, too. Since that's the status a opted out player gets. So you don't have to drop the players that opt out.

On 7/28/2020 at 11:38 AM, SnickSnack said:

We're still holding our in person draft, but I made some adjustments. Last place person who is usually beer bitch is now sticker bitch, to limit the touching of those. It's BYOF and BYOB. Seats will be spaced out a little further and masks need to be worn whenever you get up from your station. 

Of course, some of the guys had to be difficult and thought being distant ruined the entire day, so they requested one area where multiple people could sit without masks. I fought it, but gave up after a while. As long as they are masked up when they leave that area, it won't hurt the people who are being responsible. 

15 hours ago, shakestreet said:

I’m pissed off ...  my offline in person drafts will be f@cked. 

It really doesn't have to be. That's the same mindset a few of my owners had, but it's fine with the precautions above. It's not like wearing a mask or sitting a little farther apart is a asking for a kidney.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, naomi200 said:

Hello Friend .

It is a pleasure meeting you , I will love us to be good friends . My name is Naomi from syrian  .please reply me with my  email is very important  from there i will tell you many 
important things  about me with some of my pictures for us to know yourself better   .

naomihaider9@gmail.com .

Seems legit. 

• Haha 3
25 minutes ago, afl5013 said:

We're still holding our in person draft, but I made some adjustments. Last place person who is usually beer bitch is now sticker bitch, to limit the touching of those. It's BYOF and BYOB. Seats will be spaced out a little further and masks need to be worn whenever you get up from your station. 

Of course, some of the guys had to be difficult and thought being distant ruined the entire day, so they requested one area where multiple people could sit without masks. I fought it, but gave up after a while. As long as they are masked up when they leave that area, it won't hurt the people who are being responsible. 

It really doesn't have to be. That's the same mindset a few of my owners had, but it's fine with the precautions above. It's not like wearing a mask or sitting a little farther apart is a asking for a kidney.

They thought sitting six feet apart ruined the entire day?  LOL.  My league is full of dudes that don't feel the need to be rubbing shoulders and thighs with each other.  Your guys can't sit near each other without masks?  Are they wanting to make out?

If it's my house and I'm the commish, I make the rules.  I have to think about my family as well.  

Over/under on how many times you'll tell one of these guys to put their mask on?

• Like 2
1 minute ago, CooL said:

They thought sitting six feet apart ruined the entire day?  LOL.  My league is full of dudes that don't feel the need to be rubbing shoulders and thighs with each other.  Your guys can't sit near each other without masks?  Are they wanting to make out?

If it's my house and I'm the commish, I make the rules.  I have to think about my family as well.  

Over/under on how many times you'll tell one of these guys to put their mask on?

Idk man, we have some divas in our league lol. I'm the commish and the guy who is hosting agrees, but most of the other (louder) guys are the ones making it difficult. Funny thing is they want to be closer than 6ft, but far enough to hide their rankings. 

I'm going to make a point in the pre-draft speech to lay down the law so I think they'll be fine, but I'm expecting to "remind" them at least a handful of times. 

• Like 1
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Commissioner's Corner 2020