NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm the Commish in my ESPN league. This weekend, I had to face my opponent who owned Taysom Hill. He slotted him in his TE spot and had Mahomes in his QB spot. Some other members in my league talked a

Heres my thing: it was well established Taysom's position eligibility before the season.  If a commissioner wanted to make a rule PRIOR to the season I get that. But to try to pull rank during the sea

Posted Images

On 11/20/2020 at 12:22 PM, Flynfiesta6 said:

Plot Twist... He is going to be TE eligible this week... IF ESPN changes it to only QB next week BUT... you don't move him out of the TE slot then its gunna get fun! 

I wonder in leagues where there is no LM if he would continue to rack up points in the TE spot even if he isn't eligible?  Popcorn Time! 

Called it! 

54 minutes ago, afl5013 said:

In general? Tons of players switch positions to extend their career, get more opportunity, etc. Plenty of CB transition to S later in their careers, and Mark Barron was a pretty good linebacker for my Rams after starting his career at safety.  

Now if you're going to limit me to only fantasy relevant players (like Ty Montgomery or Terrell Pryor), that narrows down the list because it narrows down the field. That's a pointless parameter for my statement pointing out that NFL that players do switch positions a lot. 

Actually, in a debate on a fantasy football site, the only measure that matters is fantasy relevant players. The fact that these debates almost never happen is proof that Hill is a very rare outlier.

I am leaving him at TE until i have to make a roster move or the LM steps in.

9 minutes ago, oban14 said:

Actually, in a debate on a fantasy football site, the only measure that matters is fantasy relevant players. The fact that these debates almost never happen is proof that Hill is a very rare outlier.

You playing for money?  

14 minutes ago, oban14 said:

The statement was 'Players switch positions all the time'. You said they didn't. That's false.

Cool story bro. Glad I don't play in a league with you. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, afl5013 said:

In general? Tons of players switch positions to extend their career, get more opportunity, etc. Plenty of CB transition to S later in their careers, and Mark Barron was a pretty good linebacker for my Rams after starting his career at safety.  

Now if you're going to limit me to only fantasy relevant players (like Ty Montgomery or Terrell Pryor), that narrows down the list because it narrows down the field. That's a pointless parameter for my statement pointing out that NFL that players do switch positions a lot. 

We’re on a fantasy website, so the assumption is we’re relegating the field to a typical fantasy relevant league. Sure, CBs may move to S, or a safety like Barron might move to LB, both of which are still rare. But how many RBs move to WR...or WRs to RB...or TEs to WR...or WRs to TE? How many fantasy relevant players switch to QB or vice versa. 

To say tons of players move positions is only true is in the absolute most literal interpretation of the claim, as in adding up the weights of every player. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, oban14 said:

Of course.

Then why risk giving the commissioner/league an excuse for disqualifying you?  Don't know your league but if moneys involved someone's going to complain, save yourself the hassle.  Just my 2 cents. 

Week 10: "Look...I'm just taking advantage of the ESPN platform. If they hadn't intended him to be a TE they wouldn't have listed him as a TE. I'm still playing by the rules. I was just more clever than you. Don't hate the player, hate the game"

Week 11: "f--- ESPN and their stupid website. I'm just gonna leave this guy in here and never touch any position on my team ever, I don't care what ESPN has designated him as. How can they change his position designation?! This isn't fair!"

I think that about sums it up?

For those of you who got to play him as TE last week, congratulations. You had the forethought to take advantage of ESPN being a bit daft and got rewarded for it. However IF his eligibility is changed and if I was your commish and you tried that "He doesn't have TE eligibility anymore but if I don't move him or touch my team the rest of the season I can leave him here" stuff I'd hand-of-god down and switch that **** in a hot minute. In the first case you're playing well within the rules and just taking advantage of any edge you can find. In the second situation you're basically just exploiting a bug or shoddy programming to play outside of the clearly intended ESPN parameters. One is good gameplay, the other is cheating. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

You playing for money?  

People play fantasy football not for money?  They endure weekly stress and anxiety for just sheeats and giggles?  Yikes, no thanks.  If I'm going to raise my blood pressure and lose sleep over start/sit dilemmas, I want to know I'm playing for greenbacks.

I don't want my leaguemates pissed at me and say I won the ship unfairly, so I'm going to move Hill out, even though technically the platform will allow it as long as I don't need to make any more roster or lineup changes.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Yes, jersey numbers do determine a player's position in the NFL. It has been that way for decades.

Maybe “decades” ago, but that’s not even REMOTELY close to true anymore, with the possible exception of linemen.

Just look around the league at all the WR Jersey numbers.

Taysom Hill’s jersey number should have nothing to do with this discussion.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Maybe “decades” ago, but that’s not even REMOTELY close to true anymore, with the possible exception of linemen.

Exactly.  Evans is 13.  Godwin is 14.  They should be QBs then instead of WRs, right?  Kenyan Drake is 41.  That seems more like a DBs number.  

22 minutes ago, yossarian said:

Week 10: "Look...I'm just taking advantage of the ESPN platform. If they hadn't intended him to be a TE they wouldn't have listed him as a TE. I'm still playing by the rules. I was just more clever than you. Don't hate the player, hate the game"

Week 11: "f--- ESPN and their stupid website. I'm just gonna leave this guy in here and never touch any position on my team ever, I don't care what ESPN has designated him as. How can they change his position designation?! This isn't fair!"

I think that about sums it up?

For those of you who got to play him as TE last week, congratulations. You had the forethought to take advantage of ESPN being a bit daft and got rewarded for it. However IF his eligibility is changed and if I was your commish and you tried that "He doesn't have TE eligibility anymore but if I don't move him or touch my team the rest of the season I can leave him here" stuff I'd hand-of-god down and switch that **** in a hot minute. In the first case you're playing well within the rules and just taking advantage of any edge you can find. In the second situation you're basically just exploiting a bug or shoddy programming to play outside of the clearly intended ESPN parameters. One is good gameplay, the other is cheating. 

Id say its more like keeping a kicker or defense in your lineup while theyre on bye versus giving up quality bench depth to pick up a one week streamer. Keeping hill at TE versus putting my qb1, wr1, and rb3 back in the lineup, not to mention sitting out of waivers are the costs to this benefit.

I may terrorize this league. Tell them that the only way Hill leaves my lineup is if they cut something good enough on the WW for me to justify dropping him... And no one picks him up before me (i am dead last in ww priority at the moment, btw). Lets make fantasy football fun again.

4 minutes ago, oban14 said:

Id say its more like keeping a kicker or defense in your lineup while theyre on bye versus giving up quality bench depth to pick up a one week streamer. Keeping hill at TE versus putting my qb1, wr1, and rb3 back in the lineup, not to mention sitting out of waivers are the costs to this benefit.

I may terrorize this league. Tell them that the only way Hill leaves my lineup is if they cut something good enough on the WW for me to justify dropping him... And no one picks him up before me (i am dead last in ww priority at the moment, btw). Lets make fantasy football fun again.

no. it's not like that at all. That's you taking a hit in points now to not give up quality talent due to byes or injuries or whatever and lose potentially more points in the future. You're also not taking advantage of platform programming limitations to get away with plugging a player into a slot he's not supposed to be in. 

as for your second suggestion--you and I have a different definition of what "fun" is. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I just called ESPN talked to a live representative ...if you leave Hill in the TE spot your team will get his points. If this is what you want to do ..then do not take him out. 

Glad you called to confirm what I already told you in the other thread lol

37 minutes ago, CooL said:

People play fantasy football not for money?  They endure weekly stress and anxiety for just sheeats and giggles?  Yikes, no thanks.  If I'm going to raise my blood pressure and lose sleep over start/sit dilemmas, I want to know I'm playing for greenbacks.

I don't want my leaguemates pissed at me and say I won the ship unfairly, so I'm going to move Hill out, even though technically the platform will allow it as long as I don't need to make any more roster or lineup changes.

There a lots of friends and family leagues with nothing on the line other than bragging rights. 

I only play in money leagues so I wouldn't keep hill in at TE in my situation but if I had a F&F league I would 100% keep him in the TE slot if no one would experience a monetary loss because of it.  People can get real butt hurt about getting "cheated" out of any amount of money, not worth it imo. 

5 minutes ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

There a lots of friends and family leagues with nothing on the line other than bragging rights. 

I only play in money leagues so I wouldn't keep hill in at TE in my situation but if I had a F&F league I would 100% keep him in the TE slot if no one would experience a monetary loss because of it.  People can get real butt hurt about getting "cheated" out of any amount of money, not worth it imo. 

Interesting.  I think in a friends and family league, there's really nothing at stake, so why bother risk ruining family and friend relations over something so meaningless?  I'd be more inclined to take Hill out in those leagues.  I'd also take out in money league, but I'd expect that the league manager would step in if I didn't do it anyway.  Are there ESPN leagues where there are no managers and people pay and the money is given out by ESPN (sort of I think like a Yahoo pro league?)?  If I was playing in a league that had no manager, and it was for money, and I completely didn't know the people I was playing against....heck yeah, I'm keeping him in and I'm going to ride him hard to the ship.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, CooL said:

Interesting.  I think in a friends and family league, there's really nothing at stake, so why bother risk ruining family and friend relations over something so meaningless?  I'd be more inclined to take Hill out in those leagues.  I'd also take out in money league, but I'd expect that the league manager would step in if I didn't do it anyway.  Are there ESPN leagues where there are no managers and people pay and the money is given out by ESPN (sort of I think like a Yahoo pro league?)?  If I was playing in a league that had no manager, and it was for money, and I completely didn't know the people I was playing against....heck yeah, I'm keeping him in and I'm going to ride him hard to the ship.

Because if my Cousin/Aunt/Uncle/Dad or whoever would actually get that upset over a free league, I would happily remind them about the time I beat them with Taysom Hill for the next 20 years!  That's my families style though so to each there own, I wouldn't do it if I actually thought it would ruin my family lol

Edited by Flynfiesta6
spelling
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Check your facts before spouting off.

I play in a 20 year old, BIG MONEY league with pretty much the same group of guys. It seems like every 5 years or so, something like this comes up where it puts our league in a frenzy. It gets SERIOUS and NASTY. With big money, that’s sort of to be expected. But in the end, things really seem to work themselves out. I really wish 4 of the guys that were in my league were around to see this Hill fiasco though. Still can’t get over the fact that all 4 guys went mysteriously missing over the years. Their families are still devastated. 

Edited by Sonny_D
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

If I was the commish of an ESPN league in which an owner planned to leave Taysom in his lineup at TE no matter what, I would politely remind him that Hill needs to be replaced. If he refused, I’d tell him one more time to make a change. If he still refused, I’d manually sit Hill 2-3 minutes before the Saints kicked off and leave his TE slot empty. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

We’re on a fantasy website, so the assumption is we’re relegating the field to a typical fantasy relevant league. Sure, CBs may move to S, or a safety like Barron might move to LB, both of which are still rare. But how many RBs move to WR...or WRs to RB...or TEs to WR...or WRs to TE? How many fantasy relevant players switch to QB or vice versa. 

To say tons of players move positions is only true is in the absolute most literal interpretation of the claim, as in adding up the weights of every player. 

No, making the assumption of a limited field to a simple statement like "Players switch positions all of the time" is a cop out. It was a general statement that someone dissected because they felt the need to justify screwing over their leaguemates. 

And if we wanna play this game, what about IDP leagues? S to LB transitions are not rare. CB to S even less so. What about college QB who switched positions when they got drafted? Should the passing stats from college the year before dictate the fantasy designation the rookie gets? 

• Haha 1