NBC Sports Edge Forums

social distancing inside of someone's home seems like overkill, but whatever. we already switched to online drafting last year to speed things up, seems like adding a zoom video call into the equation will be a piece of cake

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm the Commish in my ESPN league. This weekend, I had to face my opponent who owned Taysom Hill. He slotted him in his TE spot and had Mahomes in his QB spot. Some other members in my league talked a

Heres my thing: it was well established Taysom's position eligibility before the season.  If a commissioner wanted to make a rule PRIOR to the season I get that. But to try to pull rank during the sea

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

social distancing inside of someone's home seems like overkill, but whatever. we already switched to online drafting last year to speed things up, seems like adding a zoom video call into the equation will be a piece of cake

It's not overkill if it's in the name of safety.  That's why my suggestion up above about getting everybody covid tested prior to coming is a serious one.  No test, then you do it online.

If it's too difficult for everybody to follow the rules of the draft in regards to the covid changes, then I would just say hold it online.  We've had ours online for several years also in the interest of time (that Yahoo clock doesn't stop even if you have to go to the bathroom, at least we haven't figured out how to make it stop), so drafts are a lot faster now that we are no longer single carefree bachelors and now are all busy with family, work, and kids.  Zoom wasn't a thing last year for obvious reasons, but now that everybody knows what it is, we could set one up so we still can see everyone's faces.

can anyone vouch for a good alternative software for video conferencing? zoom is the standard, but their free tier is limited to like 40-50 minute call durations which isn't enough time. desktop/laptop access is preferred, I just haven't messed around with google or facebook video stuff to know if they're capable at all. skype/teams is good for the corporate environment, but again probably require a paid tier or something to host.

just curious what people have used previously or are considering for their drafts

edit: this seems interesting https://meet.jit.si/

Edited by lolcopter
19 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

can anyone vouch for a good alternative software for video conferencing? zoom is the standard, but their free tier is limited to like 40-50 minute call durations which isn't enough time. desktop/laptop access is preferred, I just haven't messed around with google or facebook video stuff to know if they're capable at all. skype/teams is good for the corporate environment, but again probably require a paid tier or something to host.

just curious what people have used previously or are considering for their drafts

I believe Skype is free for up to 50 people with no time limit but every member in the league would need to have it downloaded with an account.  For my league's draft I think I'm going to subscribe to the 1 month of Zoom for $15, it'll be equivalent to buying the physical draft board which won'r be needed this year.

Edited by SnickSnack
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, afl5013 said:

We're still holding our in person draft, but I made some adjustments. Last place person who is usually beer bitch is now sticker bitch, to limit the touching of those. It's BYOF and BYOB. Seats will be spaced out a little further and masks need to be worn whenever you get up from your station. 

Of course, some of the guys had to be difficult and thought being distant ruined the entire day, so they requested one area where multiple people could sit without masks. I fought it, but gave up after a while. As long as they are masked up when they leave that area, it won't hurt the people who are being responsible. 

It really doesn't have to be. That's the same mindset a few of my owners had, but it's fine with the precautions above. It's not like wearing a mask or sitting a little farther apart is a asking for a kidney.

Well you might think your precautions are fine others might not. Who to say they are. Also, don’cha think some users on these forums think this virus is manufactured by politics ... or other agendas? I have read some opinions (before those threads were locked) from some they sure think this is fake. 

My offline drafts are totally screwed, that is what I am hearing from my leaguemates in both leagues, that comes from two different set of owners. We are hoping ... the majority thinks we won’t getting in a full schedule. Pizza, beer, friendship the whole atmosphere we set just won’t have the ooooomp feeling. 

good luck with your draft and stay safe... 

Edited by shakestreet
3 hours ago, CooL said:

It's not overkill if it's in the name of safety.  That's why my suggestion up above about getting everybody covid tested prior to coming is a serious one.  No test, then you do it online.

If it's too difficult for everybody to follow the rules of the draft in regards to the covid changes, then I would just say hold it online.  We've had ours online for several years also in the interest of time (that Yahoo clock doesn't stop even if you have to go to the bathroom, at least we haven't figured out how to make it stop), so drafts are a lot faster now that we are no longer single carefree bachelors and now are all busy with family, work, and kids.  Zoom wasn't a thing last year for obvious reasons, but now that everybody knows what it is, we could set one up so we still can see everyone's faces.

You don't have to give up on enjoying things just because you have kids and aren't a bachelor anymore.

I'd be willing to bet my league has more total children than yours.

Everyone has the right to do what they prefer, I'm not trying to infringe on you doing what you think is best in anyway.  

I just absolutely HATE HATE HATE the "oh I have kids, I have a job" arguments that I think are just excuses.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, lolcopter said:

FB Rooms is easy AF.  I use it weekly for a poker game I host online.

Your league mates don't even need FB.  Just the person creating the room.

There's also 2 Google options (Hangouts and Duo).

I'm only mentioning FREE things with no 40 minute time outs as well which Zoom does unless you're a premium member (PAID).

• Thanks 1

Just tell everybody to man up and quit being bi****s.   Hell, I've run fantasy football drafts out of moving cars with half the managers being passed out.   Another time, our draft got raided by the cops.  Guess what....the season still happened.  The NFL just had a remote draft.   Listen buddy...these players put their lives on the line every Sunday so we can have a chance at winning a couple hundred dollars.   And you want me to tell them you can't play fantasy without a live draft!?!!?!?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
2 hours ago, K197040 said:

Just tell everybody to man up and quit being bi****s.   Hell, I've run fantasy football drafts out of moving cars with half the managers being passed out.   Another time, our draft got raided by the cops.  Guess what....the season still happened.  The NFL just had a remote draft.   Listen buddy...these players put their lives on the line every Sunday so we can have a chance at winning a couple hundred dollars.   And you want me to tell them you can't play fantasy without a live draft!?!!?!?!

You can’t just drop these 2 bolded gems without telling the stories.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29w52avm8lcc830t1npo

5 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

You don't have to give up on enjoying things just because you have kids and aren't a bachelor anymore.

I'd be willing to bet my league has more total children than yours.

Everyone has the right to do what they prefer, I'm not trying to infringe on you doing what you think is best in anyway.  

I just absolutely HATE HATE HATE the "oh I have kids, I have a job" arguments that I think are just excuses.

We've got 24 children collectively in our league.  As the years went by, some would call in to our live draft and try to do it that way.  And this was before FaceTime and iPhones.  So you'd have to repeat all the players to them each time it was their turn.  We then tried some kind of GoogleDoc that people could see online.  Eventually we just moved online because it was easier.  We'd still get together for the draft party, it's just that everyone would bring a laptop or iPad.

I still enjoy fantasy football.  But things after kids do change.  I used to sit on the couch for 12 hours straight on Sundays.  That's impossible with kids and a honey do list.  But I'm still as fanatical about fantasy football as I've always been, just like all of us here on these forums.  The speed of an online draft is nothing but a positive.  It's so hard to schedule a draft in the first place between family vacations, work, prior commitments, etc.  Then once you find a date, you have to wait for piano practice to finish, or the kid's soccer game, or a parent teacher conference.  So sometimes we aren't starting until 9 pm.  Nobody wants to draft for 4-5 hours and then have to get up at 5:30 AM the next day for work.

5 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

FB Rooms is easy AF.  I use it weekly for a poker game I host online.

Your league mates don't even need FB.  Just the person creating the room.

There's also 2 Google options (Hangouts and Duo).

I'm only mentioning FREE things with no 40 minute time outs as well which Zoom does unless you're a premium member (PAID).

I've used Microsoft Teams for a lot of work conferences because there is no 40 minute time limit.  However, I'm not sure if it's being paid for by the company.

If Zoom is only $15 for the first month, then heck yeah, just do that.  Roll the extra $1 cost into the league entry fee if you wanted to.  For our draft parties, people would always bring food and beer, or contribute for the food that was being delivered.  $1 is way cheaper.

17 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Well you might think your precautions are fine others might not. Who to say they are. Also, don’cha think some users on these forums think this virus is manufactured by politics ... or other agendas? I have read some opinions (before those threads were locked) from some they sure think this is fake. 

My offline drafts are totally screwed, that is what I am hearing from my leaguemates in both leagues, that comes from two different set of owners. We are hoping ... the majority thinks we won’t getting in a full schedule. Pizza, beer, friendship the whole atmosphere we set just won’t have the ooooomp feeling. 

good luck with your draft and stay safe... 

Look, I'm not going to get into the politics aspect. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I won't let the owners that actually believe that potentially harm the ones who abide by the rules. Even if they think it's fake, they can man up as said earlier and respect the other owners in the league enough to wear a mask for a portion of the day. It's about compromising and erring on the side of caution so that the day can still run at about 80% of a normal draft day. 

Most of them have eaten out at restaurants since this whole thing started. I told them to pretend that they are in that type of environment, and while it won't be the exact same as other years, it won't be the bare bones draft day people are making it out to be. 

Seems like you are dealing with a little tougher of a crowd though so good luck. Hope it works out for ya. 

• Like 2

2 IR spots vs. 2 Bench Spots for COVID

I was initially thinking of adding 2 IR spots for my league, but now I'm going to add two full bench spots instead of IR only.There's a very real possibility the NFL could postpone games, let's say if too many players on either team test positive for COVID. You may have a guy who is healthy on your roster and doesn't contract COVID, who you can't put on the IR, but his team's game gets postponed because his teammates are sick. The bench spots give more flexibility for COVID if guys have to miss games but are healthy otherwise and can't be put on the IR. I know the NFL has postponed games due to weather in the past (Miami in particular), and those guys weren't given IR designations, you were just screwed for that week. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Have a guy who texted me this afternoon saying he had moved Sean Newcomb to his bench, but his ESPN app glitched and didn't save the move.  It's a league of friends and we've been playing together for years, so I'm sure he's telling the truth.

Was thinking maybe have him text me and the guy he's playing to see if the opponent doesn't mind if I reverse the transaction?

We've had guys in the past who accidentally dropped a player, and I've gone and reversed the transaction.

I just don't want to get in the habit of reversing people's transactions because they didn't confirm their moves had saved.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

Have a guy who texted me this afternoon saying he had moved Sean Newcomb to his bench, but his ESPN app glitched and didn't save the move.  It's a league of friends and we've been playing together for years, so I'm sure he's telling the truth.

Was thinking maybe have him text me and the guy he's playing to see if the opponent doesn't mind if I reverse the transaction?

We've had guys in the past who accidentally dropped a player, and I've gone and reversed the transaction.

I just don't want to get in the habit of reversing people's transactions because they didn't confirm their moves had saved.

Thoughts?

Sorry.  Wrong board.

4 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Thoughts?

You would know more than me but that really sounds kind of sketchy

• Like 1

Update on our live draft: With a little social distancing, masks (when closer to each other or community items), and plenty of sun, the draft went really well.

The only issue was one of the owner's developed a fever the day before, so he had to draft through facetime. Was kind of a pain in the a**, but everyone still had a great time so it is possible. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Thoughts?

ESPN "glitched"?   That usually means that the owner screwed up.  Ask him to explain what happened.   My guess is that he didn't confirm.   That's on him.

It takes 3 extra seconds to check your roster to make sure your transaction worked.

All my leagues have at least 4 IR now. Two for normal injury. Two for COVID. 

I assume yahoo and ESPN will allow COVID guys to go on IR.

If anyone interested in dynasty devy, click here to view our new start up league. 

Edited by PizzaBeerFF
  • Like 1

Hey all, would like some feedback on IR/Covid.

Yahoo, 12 team, mostly standard league settings, 8th year. We've never had an IR spot and always have 6 bench spots.

For 2020, we're going to have 1 IR and I'm wondering wether to drop bench spot down to 5. This seems to be counter to what most people are saying for this year, though.

My worry (and it's a worry every year) is that teams hoard players. This seems to happen with QB, RB, and TE. I tend to prefer more action and availability on the WW and even late into the season. It helps to keep things exciting for more players in the league for longer. We've all been there, having a lousy season with little hope, and the WW is mostly picked over.

Is adding 1 IR and going down to 5 bench too severe?

51 minutes ago, leebattle said:

Hey all, would like some feedback on IR/Covid.

Yahoo, 12 team, mostly standard league settings, 8th year. We've never had an IR spot and always have 6 bench spots.

For 2020, we're going to have 1 IR and I'm wondering wether to drop bench spot down to 5. This seems to be counter to what most people are saying for this year, though.

My worry (and it's a worry every year) is that teams hoard players. This seems to happen with QB, RB, and TE. I tend to prefer more action and availability on the WW and even late into the season. It helps to keep things exciting for more players in the league for longer. We've all been there, having a lousy season with little hope, and the WW is mostly picked over.

Is adding 1 IR and going down to 5 bench too severe?

Yes, it's too severe.

This is a special season.  

I'd make a 1 year exception (hopefully 1 year) of adding the IR specifically and ONLY for COVID designations.  

As you return a player from COVID you're forced to drop one of those bench guys to fit that person back onto your roster.

Just enforce the COVID designation only as best you can.  

If this IR spot is only used for COVID as it sounds like you intend it, hoarding shouldn't become a thing, but merely trying to field a functional roster week to week.

35 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Yes, it's too severe.

This is a special season.  

I'd make a 1 year exception (hopefully 1 year) of adding the IR specifically and ONLY for COVID designations.  

As you return a player from COVID you're forced to drop one of those bench guys to fit that person back onto your roster.

Just enforce the COVID designation only as best you can.  

If this IR spot is only used for COVID as it sounds like you intend it, hoarding shouldn't become a thing, but merely trying to field a functional roster week to week.

Ok yea. That's a good point - only covid. Thanks for the input.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Commissioner's Corner 2020