NBC Sports Edge Forums

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

That's collusion and a dump trade.  Unless it is dynasty or something, trade is a no from me.

Agreed. I will almost never veto a trade. But the circumstances here (twin brothers, one team in the playoff hunt and one team done for the season, pretty serious disparity in player values, etc.) suggest collusion. I think you'd be right to reject this trade and doubly so given that the league majority voted it down.

• Like 1
  • Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm the Commish in my ESPN league. This weekend, I had to face my opponent who owned Taysom Hill. He slotted him in his TE spot and had Mahomes in his QB spot. Some other members in my league talked a

Heres my thing: it was well established Taysom's position eligibility before the season.  If a commissioner wanted to make a rule PRIOR to the season I get that. But to try to pull rank during the sea

Posted Images

That’s the definition of a collusive trade, imho. And if it was vetoed once, it shoulf be vetoed every time. These twins shouldn’t be allowed to bully the league into allowing it to pass. Can you veto it, yourself, as the commish? 

And if they continue, an extreme option would be to lock the teams. But, I understand the difficulty of that in a friends and family league. 

Honestly we need more information. What are the players on both teams? Full PPR, 1/2 PPR, or no PPR? Are there consequences for last place? Everyone is saying veto veto veto, neither Mike Evans and Josh Jacobs are exactly lighting the world on fire at the moment. Lamar is not on Lamar pace as of last year. Trade is probably collusion, but this is a hard one to veto. And on that as a commissioner you should get rid of the veto power, hold for 24 hours and make a discussion about it. Honestly people get hung up on name value vs actual stats for the year. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Trifecta said:

The trade never processed. It just... Vanished. Some very Halloweenesque. Disappeared in thin air it seems. There's no indication that the trade was vetoed. It's no longer up for vote or showing pending. It's just... Gone.

I'm curious what actually happened here. I see 3 possibilities:

1. It was a glitch. The trade should have processed but for some reason didn't.

2.  NFL.com has a rule against an already vetoed trade being processed to prevent something like this sequence happening. 

3. Divine intervention:  The fantasy football gods spoke.

In Yahoo, I believe trades can vanish when one of the teams have a player who is on IR when the trade was accepted but comes off of IR when the trade is processed as that would put them over the roster size.    With so many guys coming off IR this weekend, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the reason it disappeared...just a guess. 

Edited by Child_Please
1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

That’s the definition of a collusive trade, imho. And if it was vetoed once, it shoulf be vetoed every time. These twins shouldn’t be allowed to bully the league into allowing it to pass. Can you veto it, yourself, as the commish? 

And if they continue, an extreme option would be to lock the teams. But, I understand the difficulty of that in a friends and family league. 

This.

I don't like the system where the league votes on trades, I prefer that only the Commish can veto a trade if it is collusion. But you have that system and the trade was vetoed and that should be the end of it. Trying to get the same trade through in the hopes people aren't paying attention is exploiting the system, should not be allowed and they should get a warning that there will be consequences if they try it again.

And if that wasn't enough: That trade is so clearly unbalanced that as a Commish, I might even think about vetoing that trade without taking the other factors (twin brothers, winning vs losing team) into account. A quick look at the FantasyPros trade values: Newton N/A, Harris N/A, Evans 16 vs Jackson 17, Jacobs 31. That's 16 vs 48, exactly 3:1. Plus, the winning player frees up an additional bench slot.

The trade values are in no way perfect and of course anyone values players differently, but they give a good sense of what you might be able to get for a player. And if the values are that far apart, I start to question the trade. Let's put it that way: You might really, really love bread, but if you pay 200 dollars for a single slice, there is something fishy going on.

2 hours ago, sneer said:

Honestly we need more information. What are the players on both teams? Full PPR, 1/2 PPR, or no PPR? Are there consequences for last place? Everyone is saying veto veto veto, neither Mike Evans and Josh Jacobs are exactly lighting the world on fire at the moment. Lamar is not on Lamar pace as of last year. Trade is probably collusion, but this is a hard one to veto. And on that as a commissioner you should get rid of the veto power, hold for 24 hours and make a discussion about it. Honestly people get hung up on name value vs actual stats for the year. 

It's a half ppr. No consequences for last place. 

1 hour ago, Child_Please said:

In Yahoo, I believe trades can vanish when one of the teams have a player who is on IR when the trade was accepted but comes off of IR when the trade is processed as that would put them over the roster size.    With so many guys coming off IR this weekend, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the reason it disappeared...just a guess. 

There's no IR

Here's what I messaged the league. This was last night before it was supposed to process and I was sure it was about to go through:

"1. I can't prove collusion. To attempt to do so is a fool's errand. And this is supposed to be the friends and family league, so we aren't investigating each other here. Instead...
2. We have the vote. And this league voted the trade down. The league spoke. We discussed it here. Not a peep from the trading parties. So it feels like the they are thumbing their noses at the league. Just sayin fellas, if you have even been seeing any of this."

I didn't take action because I felt it might be considered an abuse of power, but I see most here say I should have immediately vetoed the trade when they tried it after it was already voted down.  I definitely will if they try it again.

Edited by Trifecta
2 hours ago, Trifecta said:

I didn't take action because I felt it might be considered an abuse of power, but I see most here say I should have immediately vetoed the trade when they tried it after it was already voted down.  I definitely will if they try it again.

To me, it’s not an abuse of power when the you are simply reinforcing what the league had already determined was the proper course of action. To exercise your commish powers if they try this stunt again is not abuse...it’s properly executing the powers entrusted to you by the league. As a commish and also a regular owner, that’s my perspective. 

1 hour ago, lolcopter said:

I don't think it's all that bad when you take into consideration that Lamar is total garbage this season

He's better than anyone the other team is trying to send over.

9 hours ago, Trifecta said:

I can't prove collusion. To attempt to do so is a fool's errand.

This is what always baffles me about leagues that say "no trade vetoes unless there's collusion". Just as you indicated, you can never prove collusion, ever, unless you were accidentally carbon copied on an email or something (which I've never seen happen in 20 years of playing fantasy). To me, a veto is really simple for two scenarios - first, if a trade clearly benefits one side only while offering absolutely no benefit to the other (either currently or in the future), then it should be vetoed as that goes against the very idea of trading. And second, if a trade clearly has an established top player (or players) being exchanged for only an established low level player (or players) that have no history of performing at a top level where comparable value is available from the waiver wire.

That's it - that's the only criteria I ever use when considering a veto. 95 plus percent of the time I have no issue with a trade.

This one would get a veto from me if Mike Evans doesn't clearly help the other party's team since the Harris/Newton for Jacobs/Jackson portion makes absolutely no sense on any level.

5 hours ago, GriffeySwag said:

It's a RB1 & QB1 for a WR3, RB4, and QB2 between twin brothers. 

Easy veto.

Where is the QB1?

Veto systems are dumb and I'd have no issue with a commish reversing this one, I just don't think it's all that egregious is all. I'm tempted to straight up drop Lamar and ride the Herbert Express ROS, so I see no issue with a dump trade like this necessarily. Depending on rosters Evans and Jacobs could be relatively similar value, and Cam has flashed just as much as Lamar this season.

Edited by lolcopter
22 hours ago, Trifecta said:

The league viewed it as lopsided. One league member threw out the C word (collusion). Either way, it was viewed as bad enough that 7 of our 12 owners voted against it through the fantasy site.

IMO Trade sucks ..If anybody thinks different they are lost. 

22 hours ago, Trifecta said:

m the commissioner of a family and friends league

To avoid conflict tell the brothers the league voted on the trade they veto’d so rework another trade. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Commissioner's Corner 2020
5 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

They put claim in before the status changed to Q.

No, this isn't claims this is just add dropping FA players after waivers went through. I had my buddy try it with Deebo in his IR spot today as Q and he was able to add/drop.

I'm the commissioner in a league, and one of the people sent me the following message yesterday:

"I picked up Gostkowski before the game last night  but it didn't save correctly. I was seeing if you can manually change this for me after this weekend?"

Is this a thing? I've never heard of a commissioner having control over something like that before. If I even can, is that something I should entertain?