NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Devin Asiasi 2020 Outlook

He's not even being mentioned in the TE discussion, but Asiasi is guaranteed to have a significant role in an offense that has produced several TE1's over the past 20 years. Daniel Graham, Ben Watson, Gronkowski, and Aaron Hernandez were all fantasy relevant players even as 1st year starters. Belichick traded up to get Asiasi, so you know he's going to get a lot of opportunities.

"He has the catch radius of Austin (Hooper)," Spitz said. "He has the body control and awareness of Zach (Ertz). And he, I think, has more bend, more wiggle, than both of them. He's a beautiful combination. Plus he brings his own set of qualities. As a route-runner, he's just gonna be so difficult to defend at the next level."

Asiasi was made the No. 91 overall pick by the Patriots in this year's draft, brought aboard to infuse some talent to a tight end room that was lacking in that category in 2019.

Bill Belichick and Nick Caserio were so taken by the UCLA product's physical skills that they traded up in the third round to make sure they landed him.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/nfl-draft-spotlight-why-devin-asiasi-will-be-most-impactful-patriots-rookie-2020 

I think 500+ yards and 8 TDs is a realistic projection -- which in a year when so many other TE's have a lot of question marks due to injuries, age, or role, Asiasi is a lock for TE2 production and could easily exceed that (depending on who wins the QB battle). 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AirForceOne said:

Belichick traded up to get Asiasi, so you know he's going to get a lot of opportunities.

Right, like CB Joejuan Williams or OT Antonio Garcia you mean?

With BB, once the draft is over, everyone starts from scratch. You earn your spot in the present, not in the past.

Do you like him better than Dalton Keene? I think Keene's more of a blocker and will probably have a different role, but he may also get involved, and your 500/8 sounds extremely optimistic.

1 minute ago, Boudewijn said:

Right, like CB Joejuan Williams or OT Antonio Garcia you mean?

With BB, once the draft is over, everyone starts from scratch. You earn your spot in the present, not in the past.

Totally different situations.
Williams came into a situation where there was already a lot of talent and experience.
Garcia had a serious medical condition which prevented him from even practicing. 
How are these guys relevant to Asiasi?

Also, assuming Cam or Stidham (or both combined) throw for 3000-4000 yards this season, how do you envision the yards and TDs distributed? Surely we can count on Edelman to remain the lead-dog for targets. But who else? James White is likely to have a reduced role without Brady looking for him on every 3rd down play.
Are Harry or Sanu going to light up for 1000+ yards each? I doubt it. 

5 minutes ago, AirForceOne said:

How are these guys relevant to Asiasi?

Because BB traded up for them in early rounds and then they didn't do much. I wanted to show that in my mind, although I like Asiasi, I don't think that's really an argument at the Pats. 

5 minutes ago, AirForceOne said:

But who else?

Marquise Lee, Matt LaCosse, Jakobi Meyer, and I think they have 6 different TEs on the roster.

I am looking at Asiasi in Dynasty, and I think he might play a role, but for now he's a flyer to me at best.

Edit: so why do you like him better than Keene?

Edited by Boudewijn

1 minute ago, Boudewijn said:

Edit: so why do you like him better than Keene?

Slightly different skill sets. Sort of like Hayden Hurst vs. Mark Andrews.
Both are capable pass catchers, similar size, but Asiasi has the speed and athleticism to be featured more in the passing game, and more experience. Not that Keene can't or won't be involved also, but most seem to confer that Keene will have more of a blocking role.

Lacosse has shown to be a near-zero in the passing game.
Lee and Meyers may not even make the final roster.

Unless Antonio Brown re-signs here, someone is going to have to catch the ball. If that guy is Asiasi, he's sure to be worth a late-round investment, especially considering the question marks of TE's beyond the top 4-5 picks. 

50 minutes ago, AirForceOne said:

Slightly different skill sets. Sort of like Hayden Hurst vs. Mark Andrews.
Both are capable pass catchers, similar size, but Asiasi has the speed and athleticism to be featured more in the passing game, and more experience. Not that Keene can't or won't be involved also, but most seem to confer that Keene will have more of a blocking role.

Yeah this is what I also felt, but I would have felt better about it if Keene was the clear blocking/FB guy.

I like Dalton Keene significantly better. He is much much more athletic and faster but is a few seasons away from anything. He oozes upside with his athleticism, versatility, blocking and the power he runs with after the catch--underutilized in college despite these traits in the same way George Kittle was (though Kittle was a little more athletic and a little better blocker)

Asiasi didn't impress me as much tbh. Hands catcher which is good with limited drops but not particularly physical and thus the hands get worse when hit/contested and he isn't quite explosive enough to separate that well despite good straight speed. And really I just hate my TE being "soft." It's not scientific or anything but it's why Kelce rubbed me the wrong way even when he broke out until he filled out as a more physical player (though with some drops in contested situations he still reminds me of 2014, 2015 and part of 2016 Kelce)--and I don't think Asiasi is anything like Kelce

Neither will do anything this year IMO. Rookie TEs pretty much never do: Keene is rawer but he is better IMO and an exciting stash in deeper dynasty/TE premium/2 TE--maybe he shows some flashes late in the year but I wouldn't count on it

Edited by mocha4313

14 hours ago, AirForceOne said:

He's not even being mentioned in the TE discussion, but Asiasi is guaranteed to have a significant role in an offense that has produced several TE1's over the past 20 years. Daniel Graham, Ben Watson, Gronkowski, and Aaron Hernandez were all fantasy relevant players even as 1st year starters. Belichick traded up to get Asiasi, so you know he's going to get a lot of opportunities.

I think 500+ yards and 8 TDs is a realistic projection -- which in a year when so many other TE's have a lot of question marks due to injuries, age, or role, Asiasi is a lock for TE2 production

He may end up being solid this year, but this is as deep as TE has been in a long time. I wouldn’t say other TEs have a lot of question marks. Maybe some do, but it’s a deeper position that it’s been for a while. 

Graham and Watson didnt amount to much. Gronk and Hernandez were great as rookies but it was mostly because of TDs. It was a pretty weak TE draft class so I dont see any reason to draft one given how rookie TE perform historically.

I think 500+ yards and 8 TDs is a realistic projection -- which in a year when so many other TE's have a lot of question marks due to injuries, age, or role, Asiasi is a lock for TE2 production and could easily exceed that (depending on who wins the QB battle). 

Between Edelman, Harry (1st rd pick), Sanu (traded 2nd rd pick your get), and James White, any TE is at best the #4 receiving option on a likely run-first offense. No thanks. 

Just now, joshua18 said:

Between Edelman, Harry (1st rd pick), Sanu (traded 2nd rd pick your get), and James White, any TE is at best the #4 receiving option on a likely run-first offense. No thanks. 

Sanu is not a 2nd round talent. Never has been, and was terrible with the Patriots.

3 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Sanu didn't top 35 yards once since joining the Patriots.

You need to get your facts together...it’s not that hard to get it right if you’re willing to look.  Sanu had 10/81/1 in his second game with NE before he got hurt. He’s not going away.

Ok. So we’ve corrected “pushaZ” enough at this point, I’d say.  I think they both have the potential to form a duo that can replicate a lot of the route concepts and usage patterns of the original Hernandez/Gronk duo.

11 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Ok. So we’ve corrected “pushaZ” enough at this point, I’d say.  I think they both have the potential to form a duo that can replicate a lot of the route concepts and usage patterns of the original Hernandez/Gronk duo.

I was unsure if we did, so I wanted to link an article :)    

As for Asiasi, like him in dynasty but not so much in redraft

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2020 at 12:42 AM, hockeyfan77 said:

I was unsure if we did, so I wanted to link an article :)    

As for Asiasi, like him in dynasty but not so much in redraft

X2.  Rookie TEs don't ever typically amount to much, and Asiasi isn't an athletic freak the same way Gronk and Hernandez were.  People always point to those 2 to defend Pats' TEs, but those dudes were unique.  I think Evan Engram is the only rookie TE to have a good fantasy season in the last several years? (going off memory here so feel free to add)

When there's vast amounts of data supporting the idea that rookie TEs usually don't produce Year 1, why take the risk when you can draft guys like Johnnu Smith, Gesicki, Hockensen, Doyle, Fant, etc. late in drafts who don't have to overcome the "rookie TE" challenge?

3 minutes ago, Fort4242 said:

I think Evan Engram is the only rookie TE to have a good fantasy season in the last several years? (going off memory here so feel free to add)

Correct, Engram was 700/6, Andrews and Fant were 500/3 in their rookie seasons.

I think it's pretty obvious that in threads like this we're talking Dynasty, and we're more concerned about their 3rd year than the rookie season.

3 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Correct, Engram was 700/6, Andrews and Fant were 500/3 in their rookie seasons.

I think it's pretty obvious that in threads like this we're talking Dynasty, and we're more concerned about their 3rd year than the rookie season.

Yeah I would think, but OP sounded like he was discussing this season.  

Dynasty wise he's got as good a shot as any to become a solid starter.  

1 hour ago, Fort4242 said:

Dynasty wise he's got as good a shot as any to become a solid starter.  

In the sense that it's a complete crapshoot: yes.

On the other hand, the best ability is availability and I like my TEs to have a fairly clear path to relevancy.

- Kmet: the Bears have had limited use for a TE the past years. The last proper TE season they had, was Bennett in 2014.  

- Asiasi/Keene: the Pats certainly know how to use a TE, but they need to compete with each other.

- Trautman: it seems obvious the Saints want a successor to Cook. 

Out of those, I have a clear order, and for me Asiasi is not on top. 

Edited by Boudewijn