NBC Sports Edge Forums

Irv Smith Jr 2020 Outlook

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not true. One or two of these turds produces every week. I picked right a month or two ago

Love this guy in dynasty, but not too much in re-draft with Rudolph still there.  Rudolph is signed through 2023, but the Vikings can cut him next season and save $5mm.  As you said the Vikings run 12

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Sternes said:

If you weren't paying attention, he has been ruled out today.  Snag someone.

That I did.  I snagged Smith's replacement, Kyle Rudolph, as my league waiver wire was barren for tight ends.

I would expect the Dallas "D" to concentrate on two things. 

1. Sell out to stop Cook.

2. Double cover Jefferson and maybe Theilen.

That should have a linebacker covering Smith, who should be open a lot over the middle or even deep as he runs away from a linebacker. 

Rudolph has filled this roll the last couple of games and done pretty well. Smith is faster and more nimble that Rudolph. So I would expect on passing plays that Smith should have an easier time beating linebacker coverage.

The only problem is if Dallas can't stop Cook and the Vikings get a big lead (Unlikely with the Vikings DB injury situation and Dallas's good receivers).

So I expect a high scoring game with both teams scoring 30 or more.

I hope my crystal ball is mostly accurate.

But the Vikings could just as easily lay an egg today with Cousins throwing 3 interceptions. The Vikings rookie guard Cleveland is out today. And the offensive line has not been stellar in pass blocking. So maybe Cousins will be running for his life and makes bad throws.

Still, Smith should not be the focus of the Dallas "D". So I hope he is heavily involved today. If he is, I'd expect the Vikings to win.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, rabaak said:

I would expect the Dallas "D" to concentrate on two things. 

1. Sell out to stop Cook.

2. Double cover Jefferson and maybe Theilen.

That should have a linebacker covering Smith, who should be open a lot over the middle or even deep as he runs away from a linebacker. 

Rudolph has filled this roll the last couple of games and done pretty well. Smith is faster and more nimble that Rudolph. So I would expect on passing plays that Smith should have an easier time beating linebacker coverage.

The only problem is if Dallas can't stop Cook and the Vikings get a big lead (Unlikely with the Vikings DB injury situation and Dallas's good receivers).

So I expect a high scoring game with both teams scoring 30 or more.

I hope my crystal ball is mostly accurate.

But the Vikings could just as easily lay an egg today with Cousins throwing 3 interceptions. The Vikings rookie guard Cleveland is out today. And the offensive line has not been stellar in pass blocking. So maybe Cousins will be running for his life and makes bad throws.

Still, Smith should not be the focus of the Dallas "D". So I hope he is heavily involved today. If he is, I'd expect the Vikings to win.

I agree with this in general.  I'm just weary of him coming off an injury that made him miss a game and wonder if he will be limited out there.  I'm hoping he looks good because he has been solid and seemed to be trending upward.

Also Dallas can't cover anyone.  Them shutting down Jefferson or Theilen would be a huge improvement for that defense.  Shutting down both would be incredible.  I felt the D give their A game for the first half vs the Eagles and still ended with a loss.  That was about all they had.

• 3 weeks later...

He's back to a limited practice after missing 3 of the last 4 games. Rudolph got hurt (foot) last week and has had 2 straight DNPs, so he'll likely be ruled out. If he's healthy, I think he could put up a strong week against a TB defense that can likely limit Cook, and that gives up points to TEs. Cousins has had a strong 2nd half of the season.. could see a big Irv breakout in the last quarter of the season if this injury keeps Rudolph on the sidelines long term.

On 12/10/2020 at 12:22 PM, Olliemets said:

He's back to a limited practice after missing 3 of the last 4 games. Rudolph got hurt (foot) last week and has had 2 straight DNPs, so he'll likely be ruled out. If he's healthy, I think he could put up a strong week against a TB defense that can likely limit Cook, and that gives up points to TEs. Cousins has had a strong 2nd half of the season.. could see a big Irv breakout in the last quarter of the season if this injury keeps Rudolph on the sidelines long term.

I've heard he might see limited snaps due to his lingering injury so might have a lowered expectation. 

1 minute ago, Brettg57 said:

Surprised there isn’t much buzz around this guy going into a nice matchup. The kid has the chops, and if Rudolph again sits he could crack a top-5 week.

Im probably going to start him unless Kittle miraculously plays. Good oppertunity if Rudolphs out again. 

9 hours ago, rb187 said:

Im probably going to start him unless Kittle miraculously plays. Good oppertunity if Rudolphs out again. 

da Bearz giving up the 4th most pernts to the position ... Swervin' Irvin here has the matchup, but even with Rudolph the RedZone Reindeer out he still only sees roughly 5 targets per. 

it's tempting ... as is the kid Kmet on the uddah side. 

🤔

13 hours ago, Brettg57 said:

Surprised there isn’t much buzz around this guy going into a nice matchup. The kid has the chops, and if Rudolph again sits he could crack a top-5 week.

There's no buzz around TEs this season, outside of the few elite ones. It's a goddamn wasteland

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, owenmills said:

There's no buzz around TEs this season, outside of the few elite ones. It's a goddamn wasteland

Oh there's lots of buzz it's just all wrong! Kittle killed a bunch of teams when he exited. Hurst was a bust all of the sudden. Schultz has no ceiling. Fant is meh. On and on.

There's probably only 4-5 semi reliable ones out there and that's tough in a 12+ team league. 

3 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

bonus?

if you miss on Irv, go snag Kmet the Frog 🐸,  Kendricks sits for Minny. 

Interesting situation considering I have Kmet the frog (great nickname) in my lineup and Irv is still sitting on waivers. Either one could hit this week so I'm just gonna go with my gut and leave Kmet in my lineup. 

• Like 1