NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 July Closer Thread

1 minute ago, swingbatter said:

For those in super deep leagues and who want to ride the closer lightning, Taylor Williams just got the save for the Mariners.  Struck out the side, but also gave up two doubles and a run (he entered with a 2 run lead).  Williams also pitched yesterday in the 9th (clean IP with 1 K), although yesterday they were down 5 runs. The presumed closer coming into the year for Seattle, Matt Magill, pitched the 5th inning.  

Even though Williams got the save, he made Magill look like an all star by comparison today.  Suppose it didn't help that his save had to go through Springer/Altuve/Brantley/Bregman

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But I've Gott Hand!  

LOVE THE DRAKE!!!

God bless the idiots that drafted LeClerc  and Diaz. Who else did it??   you idiot.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, codog24 said:

Wade Davis with another save. Still no believers? 2 years removes from being one of the best closers in baseball. I think many are going to miss out this year.

So awful last year most people do not want to go near him.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, codog24 said:

Wade Davis with another save. Still no believers? 2 years removes from being one of the best closers in baseball. I think many are going to miss out this year.

Where's his velocity sitting at this year?

Why was Doo out there in the 7th? Is this a new thing with the fireman role becoming more prominent with closers?

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, B&F said:

Why was Doo out there in the 7th? Is this a new thing with the fireman role becoming more prominent with closers?

x2, would like to know as well if anyone has seen why, also how was his velocity if anyone noticed, way back in spring I heard it was down.

2 hours ago, uwguy98 said:

Even though Williams got the save, he made Magill look like an all star by comparison today.  Suppose it didn't help that his save had to go through Springer/Altuve/Brantley/Bregman

Would you hold Magill over Williams for now?

4 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Doolittle looks shot. That stuff isn’t going to play at the big league level. 

I haven't seen him pitch so not going to disagree with you, but I'll just say that I think it could possibly just be a sign of the times. Literally every single pitcher I own, starter or closer, looked really bad this weekend and got torched. Either my entire pitching staff is just trash or there are a lot of guys who are nowhere near midseason form.

Strange year. I think it will take a while for a lot of guys. Lot of low velo early on.

42 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

I haven't seen him pitch so not going to disagree with you, but I'll just say that I think it could possibly just be a sign of the times. Literally every single pitcher I own, starter or closer, looked really bad this weekend and got torched. Either my entire pitching staff is just trash or there are a lot of guys who are nowhere near midseason form.

Strange year. I think it will take a while for a lot of guys. Lot of low velo early on.

Luckily I had Hudson already, but I flat dropped Doolittle after what I saw today. As I said before, that challenge FB that he made a living on... let alone that crazy bulldog look in his eye are just gone. He threw the FB about %90 today, and it was 90-92 mph w/ no movement whatsoever, and always above the belt. I'm sorry, but that ish doesn't play in the minors let alone the MLB. When you consider Hudson made easy work of the 9'th, was throwing 96-97 mph w/ his typical movement... and the simple fact that WAS is the reigning WS champions, IMHO I see NO scenario where Doo-doo is allowed to come into a game they should win and throw up BP. (The stats don't show his body language, lack of confidence, or how truly bad today's outing was!) IDK if he's hurt or something, but he's nothing like the flame throwing challenge everyone closer he once was. If you keep him, hope it's on your bench till you see w/ your own eyes what I'm talking about. He was always a "thrower", and he lacks the repertoire to become a pitcher. The modern game has no room for soft tossing two pitch closers.

Edited by LarryChip10
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, gbill2004 said:

Where's his velocity sitting at this year?

Many pitchers have reinvented themselves as they age. Many pitchers throwing in the upper 80s and low 90s have been very successful. He has had success before. John Smoltz wasn't the same pitcher in his later years that he was in his early.

6 minutes ago, codog24 said:

Many pitchers have reinvented themselves as they age. Many pitchers throwing in the upper 80s and low 90s have been very successful. He has had success before. John Smoltz wasn't the same pitcher in his later years that he was in his early.

Interesting but that doesn't answer the question. 

1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

Would you hold Magill over Williams for now?

Probably not. This is a true committee with 3-4 guys in the mix.  Perhaps not as awful as the San Francisco situation, but it's right up there with rolling the dice on who gets the next chance.  Next time out, Servais could either roll Magill or even throw Williams out there again to try and boost his confidence.  

• Like 1

Don't forget Hirano will be back soon with the Mariners

I think Davis is cooked, but he could suck all season and hold onto the job.  sagnof

Long term, I think Romano is the best bet in Toronto.  Bass may get it at first.  Everyone else in that pen is underwhelming.  

• Like 1