NBC Sports EDGE Forums

NFL Players Association reveals 72 players test positive for COVID-19

theSPANKER

I'm somewhat amazed the previous Coronavirus thread got shut-down in this forum in light of the major impact it has on whether or not we have an NFL season this year. It's been freely discussed on all other Fantasy Forum sites I frequent without Mods locking the discussion.

Anyway FYI link below.  Right now things aren't looking good.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2020/07/16/72-nfl-players-test-positive-covid-19-nflpa-association/5452557002/

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Savatage79 said:

Hope the mods lock this as well, I'm tired of the constant obsession of it. It might have place on a general open nfl forum but in terms of specific fantasy player news and discussion I see it as severely OT.

The Mods are free to have at it.  It's being discussed as a separate thread in every FF forum website I go to that also discusses specific fantasy player news, so I fail to see the harm.

Back to discussion here: Thanks @BMcp for the heads-up regarding the Mandatory 3-week stay on IR if you test positive for the virus. As you stated, particularly in redraft leagues, this will produce chaos.

I'm now beginning to wonder if things don't slow down with the virus, could the NFL season be postponed?  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

The Mods are free to have at it.  It's being discussed as a separate thread in every FF forum website I go to that also discusses specific fantasy player news, so I fail to see the harm.

Back to discussion here: Thanks @BMcp for the heads-up regarding the Mandatory 3-week stay on IR if you test positive for the virus. As you stated, particularly in redraft leagues, this will produce chaos.

I'm now beginning to wonder if things don't slow down with the virus, could the NFL season be postponed?  

Certainly possible. I still don't expect it at the moment but impossible to acknowledge it as a serious possibility

As of now I still expect it to be played--albeit clearly weirder than previous seasons for real teams and fantasy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mocha4313 said:

Certainly possible. I still don't expect it at the moment but impossible to not acknowledge it as a serious possibility

As of now I still expect it to be played--albeit clearly weirder than previous seasons for real teams and fantasy

Fixed

More interesting relevant news:

NFL wants COVID opt out decisions by August 1

It is yet another surprisingly aggressive, antagonistic posture from a league that seems to have just realized it has a million tough choices looming in the near future. The idea that on-the-fence players — whether because of a pre-existing health condition or condition to a family member — will have clarity on their 2020 feelings just days into camp isn't remotely realistic. As was the case in Major League Baseball, a process that screams out for unity is quickly devolving into the typical hardball negotiating tactics.   

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Jul 16, 2020, 9:47 PM ET

CBS' Jason La Canfora reports "several" general managers do not expect training camp to begin "on time" as scheduled July 28. 

Word leaked Thursday evening that the Chiefs and Texans — who get to start early since they're playing in the season-opening Thursday night game — were requiring rookies and certain veterans to report Monday, but the league and NFLPA seem miles apart in multiple critical coronavirus negotiations. July 28 is definitely seeming aspirational at this point, but the league continues to try to pretend it's situation normal. 

Jul 16, 2020, 11:40 PM ET

1 hour ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

I really don't see a scenario where the season starts on time or is able to be completed. I don't know how to handle redraft leagues at this point. Feels like this will just be a lost year. 

how would you handle a dynasy league that just had it's startup draft?
'21 rookie picks have already been traded und some teams definetly build for the future, so assigning '21 draft spot by random isn't really fair.
going after projections isn't cool either.
Starting the dynasty all over again next year?

seems reasonable...

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the league could allow unlimited players to return from Injured Reserve this season.

It's an attempt to help teams cope with inevitable positive COVID-19 tests in 2020. Normally only a finite number of players are allowed to return after eight games, but this new proposal would allow all to return after three. Players would still have to be on the active roster through final cuts to be eligible for return. It’s just one idea that's been discussed as NFL and NFLPA talks continue.

Jul 17, 2020, 10:04 AM ET

2 hours ago, thebadferret said:

how would you handle a dynasy league that just had it's startup draft?
'21 rookie picks have already been traded und some teams definetly build for the future, so assigning '21 draft spot by random isn't really fair.
going after projections isn't cool either.
Starting the dynasty all over again next year?

You could just redraft next year.  The other option is putting it to a vote.  I don’t think randomization is crazy, or doing reverse order of your startup draft this year. 

You have a lot of options if it’s a start up. 

How should folks adjust their league settings for this year? More IR spots? Extra bench space? Some leagues even a limit to the amount of add/drops you can do in a week/season, that would have to change.

Should more leagues go away from head to head match ups and just use total points? I feel like there is a way to prepare for the season to be a mess but still keep the leagues fun this year.

I think keeper leagues will need some protection too. It may be very early in the year where fantasy teams collapse and look to sell the farm, just to be set up for next year. 

Maybe you have to look at all positions like team defense. Where instead of getting Drew Brees you get "Saints QB". Either games will be canceled or we'll see players we've never heard of, take the field each week. I for one am practicing field goals at the local high school, never know how deep they'll go for open try outs. 

Edited by Duckbutter

18 hours ago, Duckbutter said:

How should folks adjust their league settings for this year? More IR spots? Extra bench space? Some leagues even a limit to the amount of add/drops you can do in a week/season, that would have to change.

Should more leagues go away from head to head match ups and just use total points? I feel like there is a way to prepare for the season to be a mess but still keep the leagues fun this year.

I think keeper leagues will need some protection too. It may be very early in the year where fantasy teams collapse and look to sell the farm, just to be set up for next year. 

Maybe you have to look at all positions like team defense. Where instead of getting Drew Brees you get "Saints QB". Either games will be canceled or we'll see players we've never heard of, take the field each week. I for one am practicing field goals at the local high school, never know how deep they'll go for open try outs. 

Extra IR slots feels like a good place to start.

But ...I’m feeling more and more like the season will be cancelled/postponed indefinitely when teams’ cases spike during camps.

Which means we’re not discussing fantasy football, we’re discussing FANTASY fantasy football.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Very curious what people are doing right now given that the season, although has been stated will go on, could very much be in doubt.

Are you paying for subscriptions to premium fantasy football services, even though there might not be a season?

Are you doing best ball drafts right now?  Do those sites offer refunds if the season doesn't go?

Are you placing NFL futures bets?  Are there stipulations for refunds if the season doesn't go?

On 7/16/2020 at 7:21 PM, BMcP said:

Mandatory 3-week stay on IR if you test positive is going to produce chaos.

On 7/16/2020 at 8:36 PM, 30Burger said:

Where did you hear/see this? Didn’t see it in the article 

Seems to be a very fluid situation:

ROGER GOODELLCOM, NFL
8369.jpg

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reports, as proposed by the NFL, players who test positive for COVID-19 would be placed on the Commissioner Exempt list, with no minimum or maximum stay.

Initial reports included moving those who test positive for COVID-19 to injured reserve for a minimum of three weeks, but those rules are being proposed for injured reserve generally. Florio clarifies that a player with a confirmed diagnosis will be placed on the Exempt/Commissioner Permission List and won’t be required to miss at least three weeks. In fact, there will be no minimum or maximum stay and, as it always entails when being placed on the Commissioner Exempt list, players will not face the loss of compensation. Every team will still have the ability to return an unlimited number of players to the active roster following placement on injured reserve. These rules would only apply in 2020.

Jul 18, 2020, 10:53 AM ET
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CooL said:

Very curious what people are doing right now given that the season, although has been stated will go on, could very much be in doubt.

Are you paying for subscriptions to premium fantasy football services, even though there might not be a season?

Are you doing best ball drafts right now?  Do those sites offer refunds if the season doesn't go?

Are you placing NFL futures bets?  Are there stipulations for refunds if the season doesn't go?

I never pay for any subscription services wen there is a ton of free content on youtube. I am doing best ball leagues. I did some on drafters. This is my first year doing best ball. I assume a refund will happen if there is no season. I only spend 50 dollars anyways. I did not do any nfl futures bets. 

5 hours ago, The G Man said:

Seems to be a very fluid situation:

ROGER GOODELLCOM, NFL
8369.jpg

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reports, as proposed by the NFL, players who test positive for COVID-19 would be placed on the Commissioner Exempt list, with no minimum or maximum stay.

Initial reports included moving those who test positive for COVID-19 to injured reserve for a minimum of three weeks, but those rules are being proposed for injured reserve generally. Florio clarifies that a player with a confirmed diagnosis will be placed on the Exempt/Commissioner Permission List and won’t be required to miss at least three weeks. In fact, there will be no minimum or maximum stay and, as it always entails when being placed on the Commissioner Exempt list, players will not face the loss of compensation. Every team will still have the ability to return an unlimited number of players to the active roster following placement on injured reserve. These rules would only apply in 2020.

Jul 18, 2020, 10:53 AM ET

This is encouraging news.