NBC Sports Edge Forums

how to handle teams with related owners

ssmarsh

This is the 9th season of my 10 team, AL only, auction, keeper league. 7 of the 10 teams in the league, myself included (my brother), have at least one relative who owns another team and as a result the last few seasons have shown an upward trend in the number of "in-bred" trades. None have been balance shifting, but some are more lopsided than others.

Yesterday was our trade deadline, so I went back and reviewed the trades that went down this year and 10 of the 17 trades have been between related teams. We all know each other, most of us still work together or did at one point, so in no way do I think collusion is occurring here.

I think what's going on is people are simply more comfortable contacting their family members when they're looking to talk trade. A few of the related teams dealt solely with each other (I made 6 trades this year, 2 with my brother). We don't have a veto policy on the books, but we do have provisions to bring a trade to a league vote if people feel it's bad for the league. In 9 years only one trade has been brought to a vote, and it was overwhelmingly upheld.

As the off-season approaches, I'm trying to think of ways to encourage the related teams to think outside their gene pool when they look to make a deal. If anyone else has had this sort of thing has happen in their league, I'd love to hear how it was looked upon and what (if anything) was done.

It just happens that way because you might eat dinner with the other owner and it can come up, hey I need a pitcher. It alot easier to get a deal done when you talk to someone. When you see them often the topic can come up.

Nothing you can do about that really, besides maybe get a few gathering together where, then the topic might come up

Yeah, that's always going to happen. Just try to ensure everybody knows one or two people in the league and try to keep members communicating by encouraging posts or going as far as to post phone numbers or contact info. The other thing I think you can do is be an example. Maybe people are a little uncomfortable sending out feeler emails, but if you contact them a couple times, maybe they start to see it is good practice. Still, you might curb it, but the people who see each other the most are always going to trade the most.

Glad to hear you have made it so long without many issues.

First I would say that if it is a huge problem you probably need to have unrelated owners but that seems to be nowhere near the case. (I think it would actually bother me more than it seems to bother you guys.)

As for an idea to think outside the box you could possibly impose a rule where you can only trade more than once with the same team if you have completed a trade with a different team. This wouldnt be directed at the related owners but would force people to look at other options.

Thanks for the responses, guys. It's been pure coincidence over the last few seasons that the teams at the top of the standings happen to have a relative owned team near the bottom so "in-bred" dump trades have been easy to expect. Thankfully the dumping has gone both ways so people haven't really raised a stink about it.

The biggest gripe I hear is people saying that certain teams aren't as accessible as others, possibly due to the related thing. I'm sure we'll talk about is this off-season and see if we want to try and do anything...

I don't see anything wrong with the "in-bred" trades personally.

Like others have said, it's probably easier to get those deals done just because you see/talk to them on a regular basis.

One thing you could attempt to do is encourage people to use the "trade block" feature (if it's a Yahoo league) or hold random chat conferences when everybody can attend to promote trades.

In a hockey league of mine, we usually get together the Sunday night before the trade deadline so that as many teams as possible can work out final trades. We hold another one on the actual trade deadline as well.

In my experience though, I find it hard to trade with my brother in the league that we're in. We both co-own a team as well, so our likes/dislikes are pretty similar making it tough for us to trade.

We do discuss trades a lot though.

I'm in an AL only league just like you and my brother is also in the league.

Every year, we are both constantly trying to deal with other teams, but to no avail. It has been my experience, which has been confirmed by others, that often people in leagues either never return your correspondence or are unreasonable in trade offers. When dealing with family, its much easier to figure out a balanced trade. You're far less likely to try and screw each other over, and also, you are far less likely to let someone get away with it.

I wouldn't impose any kind of restriction on in family trades, like a certain amount per season, because what is the point of that? All it does is discourage trading, and if there is no collusion, you are punishing two teams for absolutely no reason.

Surprised to hear so many intelligent responses.

So maybe I can be the voice of dissent.

Lets say you are winning your league and your first baseman is injured. Your brother has one and has no chance of winning. The simple fact that you have access to that first baseman in a trade where someone else may not is to some extent unfair.

On the flip side I am positive that there are general managers in baseball that deal with a select few other general managers which is similar.

Still it is very unfortunate for the non-related owners to not really have access to a pool of players.

I applaud you all for being alright with this as I think it would bother me a bit if no one would trade with me but would trade with their family. I would need some sort of balancing personally.

I applaud you all for being alright with this as I think it would bother me a bit if no one would trade with me but would trade with their family. I would need some sort of balancing personally.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think it usually comes down to refusing to trade with one team as much as teams are more likely to trade with someone they know. bill mentioned that with owners you don't know, they can be unreliable and you have little idea what they want and it's a much slower process whereas with someone you know, like family, you can hash it all out much more easily.

We do a keeper league in its second year and at first, I mainly talked with my brother and two good friends in the league about trades, but that's changed as I've figured out who can be counted on to get back to me in a timely manner and with a reasonable response. Of my 4 trades this year, none have been with my brother. I like what was said about doing chats near the deadline or, better yet, getting people in the league together. The more people talk, the more comfortable everybody in the league will get with each other and the more people will feel comfortable offering different people trades. I think working in that direction is better than putting up barriers.

I have a 13 team NL league and no one is related to anyone else in the league.

I want to put mu vote in for the "You're More Likely to Trade with the Same Owners" thought.

There's a few people in my league that I just don't bother to contact anymore. Because making a trade with them is like pulling teeth. They won't make a counter offer by either asking for someone different from my team, or by offering someone different from their team. I got tired of truing to guess my way through a trade.

And then there are some folks - maybe they are insecure - that just won't make a deal unless it is overwhelmingly in their favor - these people always point out how solid and steady their players are, and how your guy is an injury waiting to happen, or on a hot streak, playing above his head...

It just gets to a point over a few years where you know who is good to deal with - who'll work with you and operate in good faith.

Continued thanks for the great responses, guys! I agree with pretty much everything that's been said here. As one of the most active traders in my league, I've tried to deal with pretty much everyone else and yes, there are a few guys that are harder to deal with than the rest.

As long as nobody else is complaining, I guess I'll just leave it alone and just keep trying to get people to expand their trading horizons.

Continued thanks for the great responses, guys! I agree with pretty much everything that's been said here. As one of the most active traders in my league, I've tried to deal with pretty much everyone else and yes, there are a few guys that are harder to deal with than the rest.

As long as nobody else is complaining, I guess I'll just leave it alone and just keep trying to get people to expand their trading horizons.

As long as your brother (other in-bred leaguemates) don't take anything personal, then it's all good. I play most leagues with my bro and cousin, and we try our hardest to rip each other off in trade offers (LOL). Seriously, we might trade alot amongst each other, but it's kind of fun when one of us acquire the better of the deal, and have to hear about it most every time we see each other. Same with drafting; we might throw out names before/during the draft and if you take one of "our guys", we'll throw friendly jabs out (and voodoo hexes) to each other hoping that player "tears an ACL" or whatever.

Archived