NBC Sports Edge Forums

Asa Lacy--SP Kansas City Royals

I am obviously biased but have seen all this (deserved) talk about Martin and Tork, yet nothing about this guy

Big framed southpaw with a 4 pitch arsenal (FB, SL, CH, CU in order of quality) and a fastball touching 97

Finished his career as an Aggie with a 2.32 ERA, 224-68 K-BB and a 1.01 WHIP

INCLUDING: an 0.75 ERA, 0.71 WHIP, 46-8 K-BB over 4 starts and 24 IP his shortened final season with a ridiculous 17.3 K/9

The lone flaw in all this being his command

Still though his delivery and mechanics have earned comparisons to Aroldis Chapman and Clayton Kershaw

Again biased: but while the reliever risk may be higher than you would ideally want, but still a very real chance Lacy will be a top 3-5 pitching prospect in baseball by the time his call up date comes--assuming the Royals don't screw it up

Thoughts?

I will admit I wanted Martin when I saw him fall to 4; but after doing some digging, I can't say I am disappointed

• 9 months later...
THU, APR 29, 2:35 PMROTOWIRE.COM

Lacy will begin the 2021 season at High-A Quad Cities, Alec Lewis of The Athletic reports.

Spin: The canceled minor-league seasons last year prevented Lacy from making his professional debut after being selected fourth-overall in the 2020 draft. The Royals clearly see him as a fairly advanced pitcher, as the 21-year-old will begin his pro career just three steps away from the big leagues. He could push for a major-league debut sometime next season if he looks good in the minors.