NBC Sports Edge Forums

Teoscar Hernandez 2020 Outlook

1 hour ago, svdude said:

Haven't seen much on him, but had a really nice 2nd half last year; Hitting .259 with 18 HR's in 201 AB's.

What do we see for him in 2020?

Nothing is official but if they play their home games in Baltimore I've been seeing people celebrating right handed Blue Jays bats on twitter (Bo, Vlad, Lourdes, Grichuk and Teoscar. His sprint speed is in the 94th % too.

• Thanks 1

He has explosive power, I’m talking 45 Hrs in a full season capable power.  His potential is Jorge Soler with a dozen steals.  There were several fly balls he hit in the past few years that either hit the top of the wall and turned into doubles or triples or were just missed foul balls.  Sure there’s batted ball luck for everybody, but this guy seemed to just miss em too many times.  That being said he has some serious plate discipline issues.  He strikes out way too much and chases too many balls out of the zone.  His walk rate is not terrible and improved last year.

His defence is also pretty bad and he makes a lot of mental mistakes despite having the tools to be a good outfielder. He’s not a shoo in to DH from time to time as the team seems set on using Rowdy Tellez at DH.  

overall I’d give him a chance in a deeper league, good upside and He will hit homers but his avg could drag you down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He’s 11-for-22 in career SBAs in nearly 1200 PAs. I wouldn’t count on a dozen SBs, as he hasn’t been able to turn that speed into SBs. If you get them, consider it something extra. But I’d expect 6-8 and take more if he can get them. 

Well when Bichette comes back he’s going to lose the lead off spot which is a shame because he kinda thrives there.  He should be no lower than the 5 hole hitter against everyone.

Expectations need to be tempered because he is very streaky and will be until he learns a little more plate zone discipline. 

• Thanks 1
On 7/23/2020 at 8:06 PM, Flyman75 said:

He’s 11-for-22 in career SBAs in nearly 1200 PAs. I wouldn’t count on a dozen SBs, as he hasn’t been able to turn that speed into SBs. If you get them, consider it something extra. But I’d expect 6-8 and take more if he can get them. 

His walk rate is improving .. he should get on base more and he’s extremely fast, right up there with Mookie Betts as a comp speed wise.  He already stole a few bags this year.

6 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

His walk rate is improving .. he should get on base more and he’s extremely fast, right up there with Mookie Betts as a comp speed wise.  He already stole a few bags this year.

Yeah, he has 2 already, and I'm hopeful. I just have to see him have a nice success rate before I believe it based on his AAA and MLB SB%. But maybe he's learning how to read pitchers and use that speed to make an impact in the SB dept. Fingers crossed. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve had this bat tucked away on my bench all season in favor of his perceived more favorable teammate (Lourdes Gurriel), so I’ve missed out considerably to this point. Needless to say, I will be missing out considerably no more. Teoscar needs to be in lineups and he needs to be in them immediately.

T-Hern has always been a guy who’s shown flashes and has already proven that when he’s swinging a hot bat he can carry an offense for an entire week at a time with HR’s in absolute bundles mind you, not bunches, bundles. And we ain’t talking about cheapies either. When he’s squaring ‘em up (such as he is at this time) he hits the ball hard and he hits it far...real hard and real far. 

Couple that with the fact that, as has been pointed out above, Teoscar is smack-dab in the middle of that peak, prime age of 27, and we can be looking at a sustained mashing phase out of him for the first time, rather than just those week-long bursts he’d provide once only every month and a half or so in season’s past.

Circling back to the Lourdes comp for a sec — which is a good basis for comparison I believe, because there are many other similar outfield bats to that of those two — Teoscar has outproduced the Lord by a signfigant margin across the board: seven times the amount of long balls, more than triple the amount of runs and RBI, and hitting about 50 points higher....oh yeah, and a 2-0 lead in swipes too. So when I say Teoscar Meyer Weiner is besting his more highly regarded counterpart across the board (as well as about a dozen other more highly regarded OF bats of the ilk too), I mean that quite literally and I mean by a whole lot.

BOTTOM LINE: Get this man into your lineup. Like, right now, immediately. Do it. Because Teoscar...He. Is. HOT🔥. And this time around, it’s within reason to believe that this hot bat of his might be here to stay.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Nobody is talking about this dude? 10 homers and 4 steals hitting .290

I agree. I don't own any shares of him, but have faced teams that have him on their bench on certain days. He's a must start right now every day, every matchup.  

1 hour ago, Ryansm11 said:

Nobody is talking about this dude? 10 homers and 4 steals hitting .290

[...] He's a stud, for sure. If his plate discipline holds up, he's going to be a top 30 OF no doubt with his combination of power and speed. If you got em, keep in there. If you don't, go get em.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Hopefully he keeps the plate discipline up.  That was my biggest concern about him until this weekend.  Prior to 8/20, he had only walked twice.  Now with the walks he's taken this weekend he's more on track with his career walk numbers.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

This dude is uh.  Legit.  Check out his savant numbers... this is a real breakout

Agreed. Auto-start; should be a legit tier 3? outfielder for next year. The power/speed combo is great, and if he can hit this consistently, then maybe he's even better than that.

On 9/3/2020 at 9:08 PM, KingJoffrey said:

I'm not surprised by anything except the batting average.  The man has been victimized by bad luck for years.  He could have easily hit 7 more Hrs in his rookie year.  He's Jorge Soler with speed.  I've been saying it for a while now.

Soler with speed is the exact comp I've been making for a while now. Teoscar is an absolute stud.

1 minute ago, JohnR said:
  • not good

Rob Longley of the Toronto Sun reports that Teoscar Hernandez is expected to miss "serious time" due to an injury in his rib area.

Sep 6, 2020, 10:32 AM ET

•  

Nooooooo!!! Just saw this blurb pop up myself a few minute ago, literally simultaneous to admiring his stats and how awesome he’s been this season, thinking to myself - what a treat to have this guy ROS. This news came out of nowhere this morning. Timing couldn’t be worse either. Coming down the home stretch for the final push of the season and had become a key cog, having an incredible campaign as one of the most valuable hitters across the board in all areas this season. So again....NOOOOOOO!!! Why this gotta happen? Whyyyy???

[...] 

Teoscar was legit having an MVP type of season.  Hope he can get healthy and come back next season with the same approach.  One of 2020's most pleasant surprises.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story