NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hang on a minute while I replace all my Marlins from my weekly lineups. Ok, I’m back.

It's absolutely unbelievable MLB didn't implement stronger protocols requiring masks to be worn on field at all times and/or other measures.    The overwhelming majority of players who get t

18 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Writing's on the wall. No way we get through the season. Should have bubbled/hubbed.

Yeah there's no way this is sustainable. Totally obvious, but you would have thought guys would've been super careful but .. nope.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Writing's on the wall. No way we get through the season. Should have bubbled/hubbed.

Next man up.  I guess each team, if impacted, could go through their entire player pool of players in their organization to get through the season.  So once they go through the 60 players in their player pool they may have to go into their respective minor league systems for additional players.

41 minutes ago, Short Porch said:

Next man up.  I guess each team, if impacted, could go through their entire player pool of players in their organization to get through the season.  So once they go through the 60 players in their player pool they may have to go into their respective minor league systems for additional players.

Yeah sure.  Like that would ever happen.  Some of those minor league players on their taxi squads are first year draftees fresh out of college or even high school put on those squads so their development could start.  Not to play in the majors.  And their minor league players NOT on the taxi squad haven't played at all this year since April.  Nada.  So they'd need up to a month of their version of "spring training" not having donned a uniform since spring training 1.0 then being sent back home for the year.  And by then they will have come down with covid as well anyway.  That is they all haven't opted out before that.  I imagine there will be curent MLB players thinking of opting out now as well.

Side note: I can only imagine how the Phillies players are feeling right now having played with all those infected Marlins the last few days.

Let's face it.  This outbreak is just the first on a team.  I doubt it will be the last.  Yeah this is not looking like it will be doable.  I hope I'm wrong but I have a very strong feeling MLB never devised a Plan B in case this happened given their track record so far since the April lockdown. 

And honestly I doubt if there is a possible Plan B when dealing with a plague.  I fully expect the basketball and hockey "bubbles" will leak like sieves sooner than later.  Especially the NBA's bubble located in the middle of Florida.  And the NFL seems to think they can pretty much carry on like normal and just ignore the whole thing with only the most basic minimum health precautions in place.  But as much as we humans think we are in charge of things here on earth and can always have our way; we have been handed a hard lesson this year that that is just not true.

PS: Covid thread here has posting about possibility the Phillies-Yankees game could be cancelled since all the Phillies players are being re-tested and need the results as soon as possible.  Powers that be are discussing that game's status as I post.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
46 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah sure.  Like that would ever happen.  Some of those minor league players on their taxi squads are first year draftees fresh out of college or even high school put on those squads so their development could start.  Not to play in the majors.  And their minor league players NOT on the taxi squad haven't played at all this year since April.  Nada.  So they'd need up to a month of their version of "spring training" not having donned a uniform since spring training 1.0 then being sent back home for the year.  And by then they will have come down with covid as well anyway.  That is they all haven't opted out before that.  I imagine there will be curent MLB players thinking of opting out now as well.

Side note: I can only imagine how the Phillies players are feeling right now having played with all those infected Marlins the last few days.

Let's face it.  This outbreak is just the first on a team.  I doubt it will be the last.  Yeah this is not looking like it will be doable.  I hope I'm wrong but I have a very strong feeling MLB never devised a Plan B in case this happened given their track record so far since the April lockdown. 

And honestly I doubt if there is a possible Plan B when dealing with a plague.

So what if some minor league players get some ABs? What's the harm? Marketability - sure, but players should be back in 10-14 days after quarantining/recovering. Besides, with no minor league season there might be some good to it anyway for them to get some exposure.

Also, this is not a "plague".

Edited by sportsfreak2744
6 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Exactly. Something with a 99.95% survival rate shouldn't be labeled a "plague" ffs. Really hoping this is a just a bumpy start to the season and that things will iron out.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

So what if some minor league players get some ABs? What's the harm? Marketability - sure, but players should be back in 10-14 days after quarantining/recovering. Besides, with no minor league season there might be some good to it anyway for them to get some exposure.

I think the competitive integrity of the league will quickly come into play when you have a bunch of AA guys who've never sniffed MLB, nor would they have under normal circumstances, playing 20-25% of a big league season. Nobody signed up for that or wants to watch it.

Also, maybe the word plague isn't accurate but it is a global pandemic that's killed at a minimum 650,000 in a 6-8 months span so not just the sniffles...

Edited by whitekenyan24
  • Like 1
Just now, MSkibisky said:

Exactly. Something with a 99.95% survival rate shouldn't be labeled a "plague" ffs. Really hoping this is a just a bumpy start to the season and that things will iron out.

Just to expand a little - It's real, it's a concern and people should protect themselves and each other. But we're going to make it through this.

4 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Yes it is a plague.  See definition #2 in Merriam-Webster Dictionary: "an epidemic disease causing a high rate of mortality."

And again if they have to  dig deeper than the taxi squads and Double AA players are going to suddenly play a Double AA level season for us they have to get stretched out for the better part of a month first.  This isn't Hollywood where they go out and round up the Bad News Bears who coming running in to save the season before sunset.

1 minute ago, whitekenyan24 said:

I think the competitive integrity of the league will quickly come into play when you have a bunch of AA guys who've never sniffed MLB, nor would they have under normal circumstances, playing 20-25% of a big league season. Nobody signed up for that or wants to watch it.

Also, maybe the word plague isn't accurate but it is a global pandemic that's killed at a minimum 650,000 in a 6-8 months span so not just the sniffles...

The competitive integrity of the league is already in question with a 60 game season. 

Nobody wants to watch it? I assure you some people do. Many are just looking for a distraction or a sense of normalcy. Whether it's Mike Trout or a AA guy with a potential MLB future, it's baseball and that's a good thing.

Also never said it was the sniffles or implied it was.

3 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

The competitive integrity of the league is already in question with a 60 game season. 

Nobody wants to watch it? I assure you some people do. Many are just looking for a distraction or a sense of normalcy. Whether it's Mike Trout or a AA guy with a potential MLB future, it's baseball and that's a good thing. ...

Not enough people would.  If that was true the Korean League games they have been showing on ESPN everyday would have decent ratings.  They don't. 

5 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yes it is a plague.  See definition #2 in Merriam-Webster Dictionary: "an epidemic disease causing a high rate of mortality."

And again if they have to  dig deeper than the taxi squads and Double AA players are going to suddenly play a Double AA level season for us they have to get stretched out for the better part of a month first.  This isn't Hollywood where they go out and round up the Bad News Bears who coming running in to save the season before sunset.

Then definition #2 also fails. I don't see a "high rate of mortality." 

CDC current best estimate infection fatality ratio as of 7/17 was 0.0065.

• Like 4