NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cristian Javier 2020 Outlook

Figured he needs his own thread. With the Verlander injury and both Bielak and Sneed pitching tonight, it appears Javier is in line to start WED night. Of course Whitley could also be called up, but it looks as if Javier will get the first shot. Anyone have the book on this guy? Read he has the potential to be a solid 4th starter but that he lacks a solid FB, although he’s very deceptive. Would think Abreu could also be a candidate to fill in, perhaps as mote of a bulk guy perhaps. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Houston

Are you sure? I think that 3-run HR pitch was that suck him, which was not even in the strike zone.It was low. So please enlighten us where he should have thrown that ball? Right down the middle? So

Not the best not blown up at least though, burned by 2 HR at Coors which isnt out of the norm   Silver Lining.......deceptiveness......12 called strikes and nine swinging strikes across 78 p

3 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

170 K's in 113 IP last season in the minors. Could this guy be a sneaky gem off the WW?

Hes interesting for sure. Rough first matchup. Could be a reliever long term but certainly was impressive last year. 

He has massive K potential, but I would definitely temper expectations. IIRC, Most of his starts were only in the 4ip range last year in AA/AAA. But like Brock says, could be a reliever long term but definitely intriguing. I’ve had a couple shares since last year so I’m excited to see what he brings today.

He's been on one of my dynasty. teams for a while, I like him and some other random Astros pitchers.  It was an impressive start but really couldn't hit velocity that he was earlier like 60 pitches in. Hopefully that only has to do with him not being stretched out enough, which would be understandable.  

I would be picking him up nonetheless if. he's unowned in your league, that's probably his toughest matchup of the year.

• Like 2

guy has shoved at every level hes been at, i feel if it werent for the blurbs about him being reserved to this point, hed have way more hype

Example: "not a strikeout guy" yet at every level dude is sitting guys down like nothing

Edited by kmoore1521

I'm intrigued...but I also see that he's walked more than 4 per 9 in each of the last three seasons, including a hefty 4.7 last year. That's a lot of free baserunners. That said, he hasn't given up many hits on any level and his highest minor league whip for a season was 1.11.

On 7/29/2020 at 12:26 PM, Csiebert5 said:

He has massive K potential, but I would definitely temper expectations. IIRC, Most of his starts were only in the 4ip range last year in AA/AAA. But like Brock says, could be a reliever long term but definitely intriguing. I’ve had a couple shares since last year so I’m excited to see what he brings today.

No. Nine of his 13 starts in AA/AAA went 5 innings or more. Four of them were 6+ innings. His other four starts were 4.2, 1.2, 3.1, and 3.0 innings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

noticed that also after the post was created...the OP just has a lack of detail

I’m gonna blame it on the iPhone spell check 😉. Tough crowd, damn can’t even get any credit for starting this thread...

Edited by Sonny_D
  • Thanks 1
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Cristian Javier 2020 Outlook

I feel like worst case he's going to be a plus reliever, whether that's going to be useful in you league depends on your format. Overall baseball might have a lot more 3-4 IP guys in the future, whether they start or not. 

I hope he can make it as a starter in the traditional 6 IP/100 pitches sennse.

Edited by brockpapersizer
7 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

No. Nine of his 13 starts in AA/AAA went 5 innings or more. Four of them were 6+ innings. His other four starts were 4.2, 1.2, 3.1, and 3.0 innings. 

I guess I didn’t remember correctly. Lol, Thanks for actually doing the research I didn’t have time for it when I posted unfortunately and now I look like a clown.
But Even better, I feel a lot better about him now especially after his nice start. Not sure why I was thinking he didn’t last long. I apologize for the misinformation..

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Csiebert5 said:

I guess I didn’t remember correctly. Lol, Thanks for actually doing the research I didn’t have time for it when I posted unfortunately and now I look like a clown.
But Even better, I feel a lot better about him now especially after his nice start. Not sure why I was thinking he didn’t last long. I apologize for the misinformation..

Haha! You don’t look like a clown, man :)But yeah, it does make me feel better about him, too. 

• Like 1