NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 August Closer Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doubt the Astros would trade the most important person in their organization.

The Mets

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Ecofolux said:

Rays throwing the kitchen sink at the Yankees but no Oliver Drake? 

Maybe he was cold from not having pitched once since I picked him up like 10 days ago.

Edited by Cesare13
2 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Hw worked fhe last 2 nights.....2 WEEKS AGO!!  And nothing since.  Whats up with that dude? 

That's what I'm saying man!! Makes no sense. I was excited because I thought he would come in the 9th, yet they let Roe continue to pitch. He's gonna be a drop for me. I have Will Smith not activated yet but I'm gonna make the switch. I'm sure Drake will get some holds, maybe a save once in a while, but his role is so undefined, I can't depend on him. Nick Anderson is their best RP but he's getting jerked around too

1 minute ago, Ecofolux said:

That's what I'm saying man!! Makes no sense. I was excited because I thought he would come in the 9th, yet they let Roe continue to pitch. He's gonna be a drop for me. I have Will Smith not activated yet but I'm gonna make the switch. I'm sure Drake will get some holds, maybe a save once in a while, but his role is so undefined, I can't depend on him. Nick Anderson is their best RP but he's getting jerked around too

Yanks could not touch Roe tonight, so why would they take him out?  TB plays the match up game unfortunately.  That is why Anderson came in earlier when the game was on the line and why they let Roe finish it because the Yanks were not coming close to hitting him.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

Yeah.  I have both those guys too. Nice to see Melancon is the only closer in baseball killing it.   He pitxhed the 8th yesterday so I'm holding out hope that will smith made some "ill sign with you,but im the closer' deal.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Whats his deal?  I'm desperate.

Here is his deal:

GOOD: He has looked fantastic and he has converted every ninth inning save opportunity that the Royals have had this year.

BAD: He has a history of control problems and the Royals have only had two ninth inning save opportunities

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Here is his deal:

GOOD: He has looked fantastic and he has converted every ninth inning save opportunity that the Royals have had this year.

BAD: He has a history of control problems and the Royals have only had two ninth inning save opportunities

Good enough for me.  4 ER in the 7th coming up.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, aapox said:

Pressly in there for Houston. 1-1 game in bottom 9 against Oakland. Stay tuned!

Everything was there except the slider was floating a little bit, but it was disguised well enough/no one was sitting on it for any worry. He wiped Khris Davis with 3 nasty curves for a K and then got a weak groundout to second and a hard groundout to second. In short, big news for Pressly owners. A nice 1-2-3 inning where his stuff looked solid even if not amazing.

16 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Yanks could not touch Roe tonight, so why would they take him out?  TB plays the match up game unfortunately.  That is why Anderson came in earlier when the game was on the line and why they let Roe finish it because the Yanks were not coming close to hitting him.

Yankees could touch much tonight, period. I was just surprised because Roe already threw 20 pitches in the 8th and didn't think he was going to throw 30+ pitches like he did. Not only that, the Rays started warming up Beeks in the 9th, Oliver Drake was no where to be found. 

42 minutes ago, aapox said:

Everything was there except the slider was floating a little bit, but it was disguised well enough/no one was sitting on it for any worry. He wiped Khris Davis with 3 nasty curves for a K and then got a weak groundout to second and a hard groundout to second. In short, big news for Pressly owners. A nice 1-2-3 inning where his stuff looked solid even if not amazing.

Pressly was fine so he's likely the guy going forward. But this Enoli Paredes kid was electric in the 10th and 11th, blowing people away in big spots despite getting squeezed. It's only like his third MLB appearance so I doubt he figures into the saves mix, but a guy to keep an eye on down the line

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

Yankees could touch much tonight, period. I was just surprised because Roe already threw 20 pitches in the 8th and didn't think he was going to throw 30+ pitches like he did. Not only that, the Rays started warming up Beeks in the 9th, Oliver Drake was no where to be found. 

Well if you are not a proponent of the "Quest for the ineffective reliever" strategy that is common these days, then why would you want to risk Beeks, Drake or anyone else coming in and stinking the place up in a 1 run game?  No idea what TB was thinking wrt to this, but I would not have risked someone else finishing the 9th unless the circumstances were such that the prior reliever was either tired or not trust worthy.  Another 10-15 pitches is not going change the price of tea as they say wrt Roe as he was throwing easy and dominant with his slider and had not pitched in 5 days. 

11 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Pressly was fine so he's likely the guy going forward. But this Enoli Paredes kid was electric in the 10th and 11th, blowing people away in big spots despite getting squeezed. It's only like his third MLB appearance so I doubt he figures into the saves mix, but a guy to keep an eye on down the line

Agreed. He looked good. Electric is a great word to describe how his stuff looked tonight.

5 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

What about goody?

Goody’s way down in the pecking order. Tonight was montero’s first game back off the IL and they immediately threw him into the highest leverage spot. Before his injury he was slated to be the primary setup guy for LeClerc. It now looks like Hernandez is the primary setup guy and Montero is the closer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
14 hours ago, meh2 said:

Goody’s way down in the pecking order. Tonight was montero’s first game back off the IL and they immediately threw him into the highest leverage spot. Before his injury he was slated to be the primary setup guy for LeClerc. It now looks like Hernandez is the primary setup guy and Montero is the closer.

Confirming what I was speculating. Montero is a failed starter/ converted reliever but his stuff really plays up in the ‘pen. He put up great numbers last year as a reliever and now gets the benefit of going from pitching in a hitter’s park to pitching in a pitcher’s park.

16 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Confirming what I was speculating. Montero is a failed starter/ converted reliever but his stuff really plays up in the ‘pen. He put up great numbers last year as a reliever and now gets the benefit of going from pitching in a hitter’s park to pitching in a pitcher’s park.

i mean. Mariano Rivera was a failed started/converted reliever...

t pretty much every big closer/pen arm is a failed starter