NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 August Closer Thread

I have to say that I'm really glad I didn't pay up for closers in my drafts this year. I know it's been a different season, but they've been utter trainwrecks this year for the most part. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doubt the Astros would trade the most important person in their organization.

The Mets

Posted Images

1 hour ago, aapox said:

Is Romano the guy to own in Toronto? It seems like Bass is banged up/not dominant and Giles is still a bit from return. Anyone with a good read on the situation?

Yes he was consistently pitching the 8th before Bass in 9th. He has the best stuff in that pen right now 

• Thanks 1

Anyone giving up on Workman ? 

Sox SP is beyond putrid and that pen is going to get overworked. Workman might not get another save chance rest of season the way they are playing. 

28 minutes ago, tonywow said:

Sox SP is beyond putrid and that pen is going to get overworked. Workman might not get another save chance rest of season the way they are playing. 

Not unless I have to but if there's another viable option, I'm taking it.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, tonywow said:

a lot of variables go into answering this question

• Like 1

^ Yes, as of now, but don't bank on him being the every day guy yet. For the Cubs game, they put him in after we went to Schwarber to pinch hit in the lead-off role, so it was a clear advantage to bring in the lefty.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, aapox said:

Is Romano the guy to own in Toronto? It seems like Bass is banged up/not dominant and Giles is still a bit from return. Anyone with a good read on the situation?

I think you just read it lol

20 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I have to say that I'm really glad I didn't pay up for closers in my drafts this year. I know it's been a different season, but they've been utter trainwrecks this year for the most part. 

I might just stop doing it in general. Things change so quickly now a days, it may not even be worth drafting top closers when they just pop out of the wood works during the season.

I haven't drafted a closer in 4-5 years, and I end up near the top of the league in saves every year because of this thread 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, tonywow said:

It always was going to be a rebuild year though not a total in the ashes one.  So pretty much anyone not named Xander, Devers, Vasquez, Sale, E-Rod and Verdugo (and probably Chavis) are all on the trading block.  Bloom has been actively trying to shop both Workman and Barnes to other teams before the deadline. 

So if traded Workman may go into a set-up role depending IF any team even wants him.  He has not looked sharp at all this season and some really great fielding plays have saved his stats to give a false impression of how bad he really is.

14 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It always was going to be a rebuild year though not a total in the ashes one.  So pretty much anyone not named Xander, Devers, Vasquez, Sale, E-Rod and Verdugo (and probably Chavis) are all on the trading block.  Bloom has been actively trying to shop both Workman and Barnes to other teams before the deadline. 

So if traded Workman may go into a set-up role depending IF any team even wants him.  He has not looked sharp at all this season and some really great fielding plays have saved his stats to give a false impression of how bad he really is.

Agree with this. As a Sox fan I hope and expect Bloom to move anyone and everyone currently on the major league roster that he can, except for those listed above (although Dalbec probably/hopefully makes Chavis expendable, but that's another topic). I am hoping that Workman can keep up his smoke and mirrors act for a couple more weeks so they can maybe get a B level prospect for him, and he will end up a mediocre seventh-inning guy for a contender.

Barnes and Hembree would be next up, but if Bloom can get anything decent for either of them they are goners as well. I would have thought Darwinzon Hernandez would be a guy to keep an eye on but it looks like they are ramping him up to start at the alternate site. Austin Brice maybe? Probably won't be enough opportunities to matter.

Jeffress got the save for Cubs today in game 2. Wick was used in a high leverage situation in game 1. Still, I think this is affirming of a committee situation based on the usage I've seen over the past 2-3 weeks.

With Hudson getting lit up and currently carrying a 7.88 ERA, I will continue to beat the drum for Tanner Rainey. He wasn't as sharp today and was working not only ahead of Hudson but Harris as well, but he still struck out the side. He has ridiculous stuff and I have had him on my main team for the last few week for the ratios and Ks but have been saying all year he has a shot to be closing games in September.

• Thanks 3
33 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

With Hudson getting lit up and currently carrying a 7.88 ERA, I will continue to beat the drum for Tanner Rainey. He wasn't as sharp today and was working not only ahead of Hudson but Harris as well, but he still struck out the side. He has ridiculous stuff and I have had him on my main team for the last few week for the ratios and Ks but have been saying all year he has a shot to be closing games in September.

You’re not alone on the Tanner Rainey bandwagon. I’ve got shares in 7/10 leagues. I think he’s one more Hudson blown save away from getting the opportunity and when he does I think he’ll run away with it.

4 hours ago, JameisofThrones said:

Looks like Miller for the save opp for Cardinals. Gallegos worked the sixth (seven-inning game) when it was 1-1.

Gallegos should be good going forward for Saves/Holds leagues. At least that’s what I’m telling myself after I rage drop Hudson tonight and pick up Gallegos.

Edited by hangin n wangin