NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 August Closer Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doubt the Astros would trade the most important person in their organization.

The Mets

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, bigboyish said:

Miller or Wick ROS? Both guys seem to be the head of their respective committees.

Coin flip but I do think Miller is the better pitcher and probably a little more reliable (Cubs and Wick fan speaking). I'm holding Wick but only because I have FAAB invest in him and I'm a Cubs fan :P

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Jub Jub said:

Any thoughts on why Kapler continues to use Gott? For a manager who doesn’t want to name a set closer, he sure acts like he prefers one over the rest.

Orders from management to tank, or he hates the team and wants to get fired so he can collect the paycheck while doing nothing.

Gott just blew the save yet again. This is impressive work from Kapler and company to keep plugging Trevor into the ninth. I don't even blame Gott at this point.

Edited by AnonymousRob
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Orders from management to tank, or he hates the team and wants to get fired so he can collect the paycheck while doing nothing.

Gott just blew the save yet again. This is impressive work from Kapler and company to keep plugging Trevor into the ninth. I don't even blame Gott at this point.

We chastised Kapler in 2019 because he refused to commit to a closer. Maybe the problem was he just didn't have one who was bad enough?  ¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯

In all seriousness I doubt this coconut oil loving, weigh lifting, self tanning, mirror flexing nut job ever gets another managerial job after this season. 

Edited by jmcampbe11
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
30 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Is Hudson still rosterable in saves + holds leagues? He's really only had two bad outings...

depends on league size and other options....all hudson owners would be smart to own rainey right now just in case...he is the best arm in that pen

Just now, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

depends on league size and other options....all hudson owners would be smart to own rainey right now just in case...he is the best arm in that pen

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if Hudson is a sh*tty or mediocre closer. If he's a mediocre closer he "might" be worth holding in shallow saves + holds leagues. If he's a sh*tty closer, you're probably better off grabbing a MR with better ratios. 

26 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if Hudson is a sh*tty or mediocre closer. If he's a mediocre closer he "might" be worth holding in shallow saves + holds leagues. If he's a sh*tty closer, you're probably better off grabbing a MR with better ratios. 

I suppose its semantics, but I lean towards the former. Remember, outside of a 25 inning run for the Nationals last years, Hudson is still a guy who has posted mediocre numbers and was forced to sign minor league deals in 2018 (with the Dodgers) and 2019 (Angels). In fact, he was literally cut by the Angels and latched on with the Blue Jays before landing in Washington. He hasn't changed as a player and at 33 isn't developing. The only reason to suspect he keeps the job is I'm not sure who takes it from him. Doolittle is all sorts of messed up. Rainey seems like the obvious choice given his stuff, but not sure Rainey actually has control (he hasn't show any prior to this year)

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Is Gio-Ga finally alive now and ready to take the closers gig? Been holding all year and he's looked nasty the last 2 times out- they have no one better for the role.

He only has pitched 2 innings but looks filthy. Still think as others have said Miller is the closer for now and GG main set up guy. Maybe after a few more outings and a Miller implosion things could change but in S+H he’s a good pickup.

1 hour ago, jmcampbe11 said:

We chastised Kapler in 2019 because he refused to commit to a closer. Maybe the problem was he just didn't have one who was bad enough?  ¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯

In all seriousness I doubt this coconut oil loving, weigh lifting, self tanning, mirror flexing nut job ever gets another managerial job after this season. 

Gott.jpg

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

I was going to add Rainey, but his walk rates are obscene.  He had the worst BB/9 in the majors last season with a minimum of 40 IP.

2 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I'm in a saves/hold league and I already dropped Hudson for Gallegos. Maybe that was a bit premature, but I guess that shows the confidence I have in Hudson. Gallegos wasn't going to be on the wire much longer.

If I were in a saves only league, I would hold Hudson, but I don't feel confident he will keep the job.

Edited by hangin n wangin
43 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

I was going to add Rainey, but his walk rates are obscene.  He had the worst BB/9 in the majors last season with a minimum of 40 IP.

I will admit, the walk rate is concerning. And it's not an anomaly, the control issues have been there throughout his career, and while he has been better at finding the zone this year, it almost popped up and bit him last night. But the K rate and stuff are so tantalizing and the fact that the door to the closer gig seems to be cracking open, I think the upside vastly outweighs the downside.