NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 August Closer Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doubt the Astros would trade the most important person in their organization.

The Mets

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, B&F said:

I know the runs were unearned.  What happened exactly?

Came in with a runner on first after the no-hitter was broken up. Garcia nearly took him deep for a double down the line and Yelich walked to load the bases. Hiura had a little flare to center to make it 3-1. Gyorko hit a perfect DP ball that would have scored one but the throw was off line and got away, scoring two instead to tie the game. Escaped with no further damage.

So by my count one of the runs should have been earned.

Edited by JameisofThrones
  • Like 1

It really has to suck to be in leagues with just saves anymore!!!  I am in a few (non money) and I pull my hair out almost every night.  The best RP's aren't even pitching in the 9th anymore.  Nick Anderson who may in fact be the best RP in baseball only has 3 saves but isn't a lock to pitch the 9th with the way the Rays are using their pen.  

Gallegos is another guy who clearly has the best stuff in the STL pen but who knows what they are going to do.  I know the Cards situation is a mess with all the doubleheaders they have to play but I can see them letting Miller close the majority of the games with his past experience.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, knifeparty said:

It really has to suck to be in leagues with just saves anymore!!!  I am in a few (non money) and I pull my hair out almost every night.  The best RP's aren't even pitching in the 9th anymore.  Nick Anderson who may in fact be the best RP in baseball only has 3 saves but isn't a lock to pitch the 9th with the way the Rays are using their pen.  

Gallegos is another guy who clearly has the best stuff in the STL pen but who knows what they are going to do.  I know the Cards situation is a mess with all the doubleheaders they have to play but I can see them letting Miller close the majority of the games with his past experience.  

Doesn’t suck at all. I drafted two mediocre closers in the mid rounds, and lead my league in saves, ERA, and WHIP. A mess or not, I have fun with it. 

• Like 1

People complaining about Pomeranz not getting the Save opportunity, yet I'm just sitting here collecting all these juicy Holds. Come on guys it's 2020, stop being ignorant to Holds :P

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

People complaining about Pomeranz not getting the Save opportunity, yet I'm just sitting here collecting all these juicy Holds. Come on guys it's 2020, stop being ignorant to Holds :P

You can have your holds. Lol. I’m good without them. 

I get the preference in playing styles and format, but this is my first year playing in a roto with saves and I think it's really fun. Getting ahead of the closer curve (again, this thread is incredible) and playing the wire to build your pen is super fun. It's thrilling to watch your guy come in and close out the game knowing you're getting those juicy points!

• Like 1

Dolis trying to save it right now for Jays. Understand why they stayed away from Bass after he threw two innings yesterday, but they passed over Romano after only throwing 19 pitches and having the previous two days off. Probably figuring Dolis could handle the three-run cushion and keep the pen fresh, but still disappointing.

36 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Dolis trying to save it right now for Jays. Understand why they stayed away from Bass after he threw two innings yesterday, but they passed over Romano after only throwing 19 pitches and having the previous two days off. Probably figuring Dolis could handle the three-run cushion and keep the pen fresh, but still disappointing.

Yep, I was definitely hoping for Romano 😕

8 minutes ago, Whizzinator said:

Gotta chalk up the Jays pen to a committee at this point don't you? Bummer.

Bass was unavailable, he’s still the best option for saves. Rumour has it Giles could be back in 10 days or so anyways.

Jeffress in the 6th of a DH (7-inning) game up 2-1, now 4-2 game and Kimbrel will get the closing opportunity. IMO this renders Jeffress droppable in non holds leagues.

Edited by aapox
4 minutes ago, aapox said:

Jeffress in the 6th of a DH (7-inning) game up 2-1, now 4-2 game and Kimbrel will get the closing opportunity. IMO this renders Jeffress droppable in non holds leagues.

I wouldn’t drop anyone just yet. Kimbrel is far from a sure thing closing this out.

3 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I wouldn’t drop anyone just yet. Kimbrel is far from a sure thing closing this out.

Do you really want a committee guy who is clearly not the first option for saves and is past his prime on strikeouts? I don't. Kimbrel is definitely far from a sure thing, but he's the guy they went to here and he's throwing up to 99 again. He's struck out the first 2 guys. If he keeps pitching like this, I think he will eventually be the lead option sooner than later. I love my guy Wick but he doesn't have the putaway stuff that Kimbrel does.

Edit: LOL, 3rd batter takes an overthrown slurve to the knee. the plot thickens. Either way, don't want Jeffress though.

Edited by aapox
5 minutes ago, aapox said:

Do you really want a committee guy who is clearly not the first option for saves and is past his prime on strikeouts? I don't. Kimbrel is definitely far from a sure thing, but he's the guy they went to here and he's throwing up to 99 again. He's struck out the first 2 guys. If he keeps pitching like this, I think he will eventually be the lead option sooner than later. I love my guy Wick but he doesn't have the putaway stuff that Kimbrel does.

Edit: LOL, 3rd batter takes an overthrown slurve to the knee. the plot thickens. Either way, don't want Jeffress though.

Now you can drop him.

• Like 1

Edwin Diaz blew the save. He came in with bases loaded and walked a guy, so it was a tough blown save, but a bs nonetheless. It's good he was trusted enough to come into that situation, but not great he was unable to come through.