NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 August Closer Thread

19 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Anybody have a pulse on the Angels’ sitch? Can Robles reclaim the role? 

He just got bombed so I doubt it

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doubt the Astros would trade the most important person in their organization.

The Mets

Posted Images

1 hour ago, papaphunk said:

Kimbrel was used in the 9th yesterday as well over Wick. Jeffries threw the 8th. 

Not over Wick.
Wick was probably unavailable because he threw 27 pitches on tuesday for the 1,1 IP save.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

He just got bombed so I doubt it

Non-save opp though.  A lot of closers get roughed up when they're brought in for non-save situations.  I don't really see anyone else in that bullpen that's making a great case to take the reigns at this point.  They do have a guy in Middleton who has some absolute gas, but he also walks a ton of guys so I don't see him being a viable alternative.

39 minutes ago, cizastro said:

Non-save opp though.  A lot of closers get roughed up when they're brought in for non-save situations.  I don't really see anyone else in that bullpen that's making a great case to take the reigns at this point.  They do have a guy in Middleton who has some absolute gas, but he also walks a ton of guys so I don't see him being a viable alternative.

True, closers do have the tendency to get roughed up in non-save situations. But he is not the closer right now -- he is trying to earn his way back into the role. He had been on his way with five straight scoreless appearances but his last outing obviously won't help the cause. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

True, closers do have the tendency to get roughed up in non-save situations. But he is not the closer right now -- he is trying to earn his way back into the role. He had been on his way with five straight scoreless appearances but his last outing obviously won't help the cause. 

Very true, and I probably should have worded my original statement better.  I should've said it was a low leverage situation since they were already down and he wasn't brought in to protect a lead.  But you're right, it's still not good that he's giving up runs no matter what the situation.  I'll be curious to see how he performs the next time he's given the ball when they're up.  Robles seems like a fiery dude so I would hope that even if it weren't a save opp that he'd be fired up enough to protect a lead.  I think if he can string together a few dominant outings and pick up some holds he'll be given another shot because nobody else has managed to succeed yet.

13 hours ago, tristan0823 said:

Today was rough for relievers that had been decent up to this point 

Britton gave up 2 and took the loss, and is DTD now 

Kintzler gave up 2 in his showing that’s runs in 3 of his last 4 (one save 2 losses) 

Montero gave up 3 but was squeezed by the ump as discussed above 

Miller gave up 2 as well 

how are we all feeling about these guys moving forward 

Britton - headed to IL. Droppable unless holds league

Kintzler - not great, but he is what he is, a guy who doesn't have great stuff but his value is in his role security. He should keep his job but another gaffe or two in the near future and he could be dropsville too if they turn to a committee.

Montero - just fine. He looked okay, he just couldn't find his other 2 pitches, and honestly, between him having to pitch 2 innings and the terrible missed call, it was just a bad spot for him. He's looked great most other outings and should be fine. Jonathan Hernandez is very good and has closer capability, but it seems like they want to keep him in a set-up/high leverage/hold role.

Miller - okay. We still don't know if he's the closer or not, and he doesn't have dominating stuff like he used to. He's kind of a better version of Kintzler where you're not going to see many K's and hope the balls put in play are outs. I still think he's the best chance to get saves out of STL until we see more evidence otherwise.

Montero >>>>> Kintzler > Miller >>>>> Britton 

2 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Tasty win for the Romano believers. Struck out the side in order. Painfully, still think he is behind Bass for saves.

Agreed on both accounts. Love the ratio help and win though. He's one of the few guys in a non-holds league that is worth rostering, for sure. I picked him up maybe a week ago and Im looking to drop other guys before him. 

46 minutes ago, CrawfordMVP said:

Jimenez with a ratio killer in a non-save situation 😫 

So done with him. Not worth the ratio blowups for a few measly saves. With closer being a more volatile position than ever before I'm sure we'll be able to find someone to replace him within the week. 

5 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Hallelujah, praise Jesus.  Pressly gets the save in an extremely hostile environment.

Time to put Jesus in your avatar

• Haha 4
1 minute ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Bad last year and bad again this year. 

Regardless to expect Bell to pull him has proven to be folly.

He and Rasiel are going down with the ship together.  And you know this...man. 

3 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

This is kind of hilarious. I've never seen such an in-depth article about a manger not using a reliever for a single night lol

Anyway, I assumed Pom would be available tonight if necessary...guess not?

Edited by street sharks
  • Like 2
Just now, street sharks said:

This is kind of hilarious. I've never seen such an in-depth article about a manger not using a reliever for a single night lol

You gotta respect a beat writer getting in the weeds for us poor save chasers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1