NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 August Closer Thread

Just now, Topgun said:

To many mouths to feed in Buffalo, I dropped him tonight, Giles will be back in a week or 10 days, he might get a save opp or 2 between now and then, not sure that is worth waiting for, just my opinion, good luck.

In the league I have him in I’m kinda desperate for saves.  If this was a normal season, he’s an easy drop.  But this short season, an extra week of saves could make a difference.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doubt the Astros would trade the most important person in their organization.

The Mets

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Padres about to deal for Rosenthal. That's a place he might actually have a shot for saves. Now the Barlow/Staumont/Holland saga begins.

Would Rosenthal definitely the the closer? Pomeranz is coming back.

8 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Would Rosenthal definitely the the closer? Pomeranz is coming back.

My best guess would be, yes. Rosie would be the closer and Pagan and Pomeranz (when healthy) would be setup men. The Staumont vs Barlow debate is very close. Ideally I’d pick up both if you have the roster spot to give it a couple of days. Staumont has been getting the 8th more recently while Barlow has been getting the 7th so my slight preference is Staumont but Closermonkey says the opposite so 🤷‍♀️. There’s a slight chance KC might also deal Barlow while his value is pretty high.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, meh2 said:

My best guess would be, yes. Rosie would be the closer and Pagan and Pomeranz (when healthy) would be setup men. The Staumont vs Barlow debate is very close. Ideally I’d pick up both if you have the roster spot to give it a couple of days. Staumont has been getting the 8th more recently while Barlow has been getting the 7th so my slight preference is Staumont but Closermonkey says the opposite so 🤷‍♀️. There’s a slight chance KC might also deal Barlow while his value is pretty high.

No Closer Monkey think Staumont as well

3 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

As a rosenthal owner, I don’t like this deal

Great landing spot, imo. We knew he was getting dealt so SD is a great outcome given the opening in the 9th

Pomeranz is a leftie I think so better suited for fireman no?

Two thoughts on the Rosenthal deal....

1. I think there are non-Pomeranz saves to be had in SD, whether it be through matchups or that the Padres probably want to limit back-to-backs and overall workload of a guy coming of the IL with his injury history. What will be interesting to see is if Rosenthal immediately jumps Pagan in the pecking order as co-closer or closer B. Hopefully, he does.

2. I picked up Barlow a week ago to cover my *** on Rosenthal, so really hoping he is the guy. Seeing him work ahead of Staumont has made me nervous about that decision, but I still think I would lean Barlow due to his experience and superior control. But that's also assuming they want to put the best guy for the role back there. As tempting as it would be to put Staumont back there if they think he's the closer of the future, I personally wouldn't if he's not ready and it might hurt his development. He's only thrown 33 MLB innings. Keep him somewhere he's had success.

On 8/26/2020 at 10:46 PM, Backdoor Slider said:

Gregory Soto could be the guy for the Tigers. Two blow ups has his era at 3.77, but no runs in his other 8 outings. His FIP and xFIP are under 3.77, and has a 11.93 K/9 and 2.51 BB/9. High Ks, low walks. A lot of things you like to see in a closer.

Is it worth speculating on the Tigers closer? That’s up for debate. But I think Soto could get the next opportunity. 

Got it done. Save #1 in the books. 

As for the KC situation, unless you are truly desperate, it should be a situation to avoid.  Even Staumont and his 0.66 for this season seems like a ticking time bomb with his absolutely awful control (20 Walks in 33 Career Innings).

• Like 1

Pressly with a solid 1-2-3 save today for Houston. Pretty safe to say he's definitely the guy an a top 15 closer to own (not saying anyone here disagrees, but still seen too much 'committee' talk among 'experts').

2 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

As for the KC situation, unless you are truly desperate, it should be a situation to avoid.  Even Staumont and his 0.66 for this season seems like a ticking time bomb with his absolutely awful control (20 Walks in 33 Career Innings).

If they go with one guy -- particularly if its Barlow since he's probably safer not to torch your ratios -- the KC closer could be extremely valuable ROS. Rosenthal had seven saves in the first month. I'm sure most owners could use that in the second. It's just a matter of figuring out the right one to pick up.