NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 August Closer Thread

18 minutes ago, Deke said:

Jesse Hahn with the save for KC. What’s the deal there? Grabbed Staumont for Ks before the trade, but saves would be nice. 

Both Barlow and Staumont had gone three of the last four days, plus he kind of came in to clean up a messy ninth after they gave a up a few runs to cut the lead to three. He's at minimum third in the pecking order, and likely behind Holland as well.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doubt the Astros would trade the most important person in their organization.

The Mets

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Deke said:

Jesse Hahn with the save for KC. What’s the deal there? Grabbed Staumont for Ks before the trade, but saves would be nice. 

Didnt Staumont pitch in 3 straight? 

Just to clarify, options in SD

1. Pagan stays closer, with Pom and Rosie setting up
2. Rosie gets closer gig, and it's Pom and Pagan setting up
3. Pom gets closer gig, and it's Pagan and Rosie setting up
4. Comitee

Good luck figuring this out

• Like 1

As a Jeffress owner, yesterday couldn’t have been much better. Gets an easy save against the heart of a potent Reds lineup in game 1 and then Kimbrel implodes in game 2.

Little doubt on who gets next opp. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, JCD said:

Just to clarify, options in SD

1. Pagan stays closer, with Pom and Rosie setting up
2. Rosie gets closer gig, and it's Pom and Pagan setting up
3. Pom gets closer gig, and it's Pagan and Rosie setting up
4. Comitee

Good luck figuring this out

Obviously it's hard to know for sure, but it would be surprising if Rosenthal wasn't the guy and Pomeranz and Pagan ended up setting up.  Pomeranz is better, but like this season, Rosenthal has proven to be a capable closer when he's right.

• Like 1

Given Pomeranz contract and performance earlier this year I think he’s the favorite, but it’s a close call.   He and Rosenthal may well both get saves and it’s a 50/40 bet for me.  Pagan is the remainder—-you never know about health with either Rosie or Pomeranz.

1 hour ago, dchamps said:

As a Jeffress owner, yesterday couldn’t have been much better. Gets an easy save against the heart of a potent Reds lineup in game 1 and then Kimbrel implodes in game 2.

Little doubt on who gets next opp. 

Yep. Whoever they acquire at the deadline.

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Givens or McGee?

I’m not sure who it will be but the Cubs need to get creative to address their woeful bullpen. Kimbrel is walking the park, Wick seems inconsistent, and while Jeffress has a shiny ERA, his velocity is down and he’s not getting swings and misses. If I were Chicago, I’d try to land Lynn & Montero from Texas. I’d also check in on Barlow from KC.

16 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

I wonder if next yr everyone will pass on drafting a closer early. Someone in my league burned early picks on the SD guy and the MIL guy this year.

I see to reason to ever draft a closer again imo, I'll just keep and eye on this thread and grab the next man up 

1 hour ago, papasmurf said:

I wonder if next yr everyone will pass on drafting a closer early. Someone in my league burned early picks on the SD guy and the MIL guy this year.

Is this a $45 10-teamer called “The League 2020”?  Cause someone did exactly that — drafted Yates/Hader with their 40th/41st pick.  I was happy to see that on draft day, lol. 

7 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Before you spit on Tyler Rogers, you might want to consider the fact that he had two blowups in July that trashed his overall numbers.

In August, he has a 1.35 ERA and 0.83 WHIP in 13.1 IP and a 14-1 K/BB ratio.

Great post. As someone who absorbed those blowups on multiple teams I still have PTSD over his name, but he’s been terrific in August and makes a better saves flyer than a lot of dudes.

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Wick.

Doubt it.  He was available last night and has been awful lately, so Jeffress would likely get the next one if they somehow don't trade for another option.  I don't see how they wouldn't trade for somebody though as Jeffress can't pitch every bullpen inning for them.

15 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Doubt it.  He was available last night and has been awful lately, so Jeffress would likely get the next one if they somehow don't trade for another option.  I don't see how they wouldn't trade for somebody though as Jeffress can't pitch every bullpen inning for them.

This. Wick pitched in the 6th to set up for Kimbrel also, just fyi. Jeffress is the 1A there now for sure.