NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 August Closer Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doubt the Astros would trade the most important person in their organization.

The Mets

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, street sharks said:

why not?

Well, selfishly, because I have been painfully chasing Rockies saves since opening day with Davis, then Jairo and now Bard, who had seemed to solidify the closer role in the last week. His last three appearance have been save, save and a win last night in which he pitched the top of the ninth a tie game at home, a typical spot for a closer. But the Rockies being the Rockies, they will probably throw him into the mix because as an organization they love to sow roster chaos for some reason.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Well, selfishly, because I have been painfully chasing Rockies saves since opening day with Davis, then Jairo and now Bard, who had seemed to solidify the closer role in the last week. His last three appearance have been save, save and a win last night in which he pitched the top of the ninth a tie game at home, a typical spot for a closer. But the Rockies being the Rockies, they will probably throw him into the mix because as an organization they love to sow roster chaos for some reason.

Well, at least Bard has been solid enough that it would make sense to leave him in there. I'm not saying THEY will, but it makes sense...lol

40 minutes ago, nygiantsfan913 said:

diaz blows another one

Like death and taxes, you can always count on Diaz to blow saves, it's in his DNA.. One great year as a closer, then garbage ever sense.

4 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Doubt it.  He was available last night and has been awful lately, so Jeffress would likely get the next one if they somehow don't trade for another option.  I don't see how they wouldn't trade for somebody though as Jeffress can't pitch every bullpen inning for them.

He had a nice, clean inning last night and got a hold.  Looks good to me.  I still think he is their long term future.

Just now, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

He came back today

2/3 inning

1 hit, 1 walk and an earned run

I know. He was throwing 98. Got the first two outs, let up a grounder through vacated shift to Teoscar, walked Vladdy and then they pulled him for some bum that allowed an inherited runner to score. They might give him a few appearances to get up to speed, but he is the best arm in the pen and the guy they wanted to be the closer at the beginning of the season.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, papasmurf said:

I wonder if next yr everyone will pass on drafting a closer early. Someone in my league burned early picks on the SD guy and the MIL guy this year.

I said it earlier in this thread, but I spent no early picks on a closer. Got Colome and Melancon in the mid rounds of a 30-rd draft, and I lead my league in saves...oh, and I’ve traded both of the guys I drafted. Suffice it to say I won’t be drafting closers early next year. Not trying to be CSB.

5 minutes ago, fredo_corleone said:

I know that he hasn't been given a chance yet, but is it likely that Staumont will be closing? I feel like he'll be in the mix with Barlow and Holland, but nothing definitive yet (??)

Matheny hinted at Holland but my money is on Barlow.  

• Thanks 1