Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 August Closer Thread


Recommended Posts

A little over 2 days, 6 pages long.  1/3 of the teams running closer by committee with multiple options to the point where you have no idea who let alone if any of the options are worth it...another roughly 1/3 of the teams with closer chaos...People discussing the usefulness of such notables as Familia, Goody, Jeffress, etc...what a monumental mess closers are this year and it likely gets worse before it gets better. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doubt the Astros would trade the most important person in their organization.

The Mets

Posted Images

11 hours ago, pbjfb said:

Ranking the edge/WW relievers for future saves only، what do you think?

1. Pomeranz

2. Lugo

3. Pressly

4. Bass

5. T. Williams

6. Sulser

7. Hernandez

8. J. Diaz

9. Gott

10. Burdi

11. Hand

12. Karinchak

13. Wick

14. Jeffress

15. Rosenthal

16. Holland

17. Castillo

18. Anderson

19. Familia

20. Pena

 

No offense, but ranking Pomeranz at the top of the list is bonkers. No way they are going to pull the plug on Yates this early. Plus, my personal opinion is Pomeranz doesn't have the control or the balls for the closer role, even if they were to make a change.

From the San Diego Union Tribune:

Tingler also emphatically maintained he will stick with Yates in save situations.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

 

No offense, but ranking Pomeranz at the top of the list is bonkers. No way they are going to pull the plug on Yates this early. Plus, my personal opinion is Pomeranz doesn't have the control or the balls for the closer role, even if they were to make a change.

From the San Diego Union Tribune:

Tingler also emphatically maintained he will stick with Yates in save situations.

 

 

 


Familiar with Pomeranz’s balls, are you? I’m sure we’d all like to know how you discern whether a pitcher has the balls to be a closer. Is there an indicator on Closer Monkey or something?

As for Yates, he’s looked horrid. If he doesn’t have a massive turnaround, he won’t be the closer much longer. Pomeranz has been pretty dominant since being moved to the pen. We’ll what happens. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wade Davis is done - has been for a couple years. Carlos Esteves is Carlos Esteves. Solid Krate but 83 earned runs in 164 career innings, 1.403 WHIP.
I'd be going fairly hard after the new kid in town, Jairo Diaz. ERA was far above his FIP last year, off to a good-start with a modest 14.5 k/9. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FootballFan101 said:

How would you rank J. Diaz, Sulser, and Rosenthal for rest of the season?

In that order. KC will likely go committee and Sulser is the guy in Baltimore but subpar arsenal and a bad team limits his upside.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

Wade Davis is done - has been for a couple years. Carlos Esteves is Carlos Esteves. Solid Krate but 83 earned runs in 164 career innings, 1.403 WHIP.
I'd be going fairly hard after the new kid in town, Jairo Diaz. ERA was far above his FIP last year, off to a good-start with a modest 14.5 k/9. 

And not even the new kid since he took over and finished up the season as closer already in Colorado last year due to injuries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:


Familiar with Pomeranz’s balls, are you? I’m sure we’d all like to know how you discern whether a pitcher has the balls to be a closer. Is there an indicator on Closer Monkey or something?

As for Yates, he’s looked horrid. If he doesn’t have a massive turnaround, he won’t be the closer much longer. Pomeranz has been pretty dominant since being moved to the pen. We’ll what happens. 

 

I saw him pitch in a ton of big spots with the Red Sox and absolutely crumble. Throughout his career, he has always had stretches where he looked like he might put it all together and become either a reliable starter or a weapon as a reliever and turn right back into a pumpkin. If you want to stash and hope you catch lightning in a bottle while hoping the best closer in the league last year (who just got an endorsement from his manager) can't straight it out, feel free. But if I am going to use a roster spot on a roll of the dice there are a dozen guys on that list I would rather have.

Edited by JameisofThrones
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

 

I saw him pitch in a ton of big spots with the Red Sox and absolutely crumble. Throughout his career, he has always had stretches where he looked like he might put it all together and become either a reliable starter or a weapon as a reliever and turn right back into a pumpkin. If you want to stash and hope you catch lightning in a bottle while hoping the best closer in the league last year (who just got an endorsement from his manager) can't straight it out, feel free. But if I am going to use a roster spot on a roll of the dice there are a dozen guys on that list I would rather have.


I couldn’t care less if Yates was the best closer last year. He wouldn’t be the first guy to go from stud to dud in a season. And as for Pomeranz, he’s looked great since moving to the bullpen fulltime last year and has looked great this year...while Yates has looked awful this year. If Yates turns it around, then that’s great. But if he doesn’t, Pomeranz will get his shot. Oh, and manager/coach/GM/owner endorsements are simply not the best argument for a player/coach...it’s typically the kiss of death. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the great discussion so far, ya'll.

Where does SULSER fit in among these guys? Please note, I'm high on Wick and I expect him to get and hold the Cubs closing job:

Pressly

Wick

Diaz

Burdi

Kintzler (edited to add him)

Edited by aapox
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:


I couldn’t care less if Yates was the best closer last year. He wouldn’t be the first guy to go from stud to dud in a season. And as for Pomeranz, he’s looked great since moving to the bullpen fulltime last year and has looked great this year...while Yates has looked awful this year. If Yates turns it around, then that’s great. But if he doesn’t, Pomeranz will get his shot. Oh, and manager/coach/GM/owner endorsements are simply not the best argument for a player/coach...it’s typically the kiss of death. 

 

It's true that a closer can lose it quick and have high variance (just look at the rise and fall of Blake Treinan) and lots of times endorsements are BS. But put aside who you think is the better pitcher, the point of the list was ranking the names for saves only going forward. If you were to rank all of those pitchers on who were to get their team's next save chance (which I would think a strong indicator of saves going forward in what is now a 50-game season), Pomeranz would probably be LAST on that list. Which was my main problem with his positioning at the top.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JameisofThrones said:

 

I saw him pitch in a ton of big spots with the Red Sox and absolutely crumble. Throughout his career, he has always had stretches where he looked like he might put it all together and become either a reliable starter or a weapon as a reliever and turn right back into a pumpkin. If you want to stash and hope you catch lightning in a bottle while hoping the best closer in the league last year (who just got an endorsement from his manager) can't straight it out, feel free. But if I am going to use a roster spot on a roll of the dice there are a dozen guys on that list I would rather have.

 

Pomeranz has been better than Josh Hader since he moved to the bullpen last July

spacer.png

Edited by street sharks
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, street sharks said:

 

Pomeranz has been better than Josh Hader since he moved to the bullpen last July

spacer.png

 

Look, I get it. Pomeranz was great for the Brewers last year and is off to a nice start. But it's a stretch of 33 innings and it's not like him being in the bullpen is a new thing. Maybe something has clicked and he turns into Andrew Miller. It's certainly a possibility. But it seems to me that Pomeranz has been a giant tease with his talent and stuff his entire career. There is a reason he has changed teams six times in 10 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

33 innings is more than enough of a sample for a ~17% swinging strike rate, ~45% K rate to mean something. 

Pomeranz is probably SD's best reliever right now* but he's more valuable to them in a more versatile role than being confined to the 9th.

*Shoutout to Kirby Yates who's absolutely still a top 10/15 reliever in the bigs. Pierce Johnson also legit af. Pagan, Stammen, Tim Hill-- man that pen is stacked

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pomeranz "fits" better as a set-up guy or a closer than a starter.  He has found his niche in baseball.  He will continue to flourish there I believe.  But yeah Yates isn't going to be yanked after only a couple of bad outings.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Pomeranz "fits" better as a set-up guy or a closer than a starter.  He has found his niche in baseball.  He will continue to flourish there I believe.  But yeah Yates isn't going to be yanked after only a couple of bad outings.


No, I wouldn’t stick a fork in Yates yet. My stance has been that he must a lot better than he’s shown so far, and if he does, he’ll stay the closer. But obviously if he does not and something is going on, he’ll be replaced. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...