NBC Sports Edge Forums

Austin Nola 2020 Outlook

Alright guys, I see Isiah Kiner-Falefa getting a lot of love for being Catcher eligible and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just there's a guy out there who I think more people should know about. Nola is filling in for Tom Murphy (injured) currently, but he will receive ABs from other positions as well because he's a utility-style player. He has MLB experience at most positions. Even when Murphy returns, Nola's bat should play. He doesn't strike out too much and can take a walk. He should maintain around an .800OPS. The Mariners have been batting him 5th recently. He had a nice 2-run bomb tonight!

Edited by Ecofolux
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

Alright guys, I see Isiah Kiner-Falefa getting a lot of love for being Catcher eligible and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just there's a guy out there who I think more people should know about. Nola is filling in for Tom Murphy (injured) currently, but he will receive ABs from other positions as well because he's a utility-style player. He has MLB experience at most positions. Even when Murphy returns, Nola's bat should play. He doesn't strike out too much and can take a walk. He should maintain around an .800OPS. The Mariners have been batting him 5th recently. He had a nice 2-run bomb tonight!

Hit OK in 200+ ABs last year with the juiced ball with 10Hrs and just under 800 OPS.  Never hit for power in the minors over 5+ years with OPSs under 700 and is basically a 2nd year player at age 30.  So the numbers scream product of the juiced ball imo.  Your guess is as good as mine as to whether he is for real in this year's environment but given that the ball I do not feel has been de-juiced much if at all in 2020, he is worth a shot imo.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I’d bump the former LSU shortstop’s thread. Not as famous as his brother, but getting the job done behind the plate for Seattle. In 84 ABs so far, he’s hit 4 HR with 16 RBI and a BA just under .300. Not bad off the wire. 

• Like 4

Xba/xslg/xwoba .302/.484/.357 vs .298/.524/.353 actual.
Strikeout rate down 8%

line drives up 5% ground balls down 5%
soft contact down 7% hard contact up 14%

A lot to like here especially for a catcher eligible player who plays everyday 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ty5592 said:

Xba/xslg/xwoba .302/.484/.357 vs .298/.524/.353 actual.
Strikeout rate down 8%

line drives up 5% ground balls down 5%
soft contact down 7% hard contact up 14%

A lot to like here especially for a catcher eligible player who plays everyday 

He pretty much IS catching almost every day since Tom Murphy has been out all season so far.  If/when Murphy is back Nola has probably ensured he still gets ABs regularly as utility/DH person.  Seattle just DFA'ed Vogelbach (picked up by the Jays) who was DH-ing a lot so there certainly will be room for Nola's bat in the line-up somewhere when he isn't catching 4 or 5 straight days in a row.

20 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He pretty much IS catching almost every day since Tom Murphy has been out all season so far.  If/when Murphy is back Nola has probably ensured he still gets ABs regularly as utility/DH person.  Seattle just DFA'ed Vogelbach (picked up by the Jays) who was DH-ing a lot so there certainly will be room for Nola's bat in the line-up somewhere when he isn't catching 4 or 5 straight days in a row.

Think he might also get ABs at 2B with Shed struggling to much? Nola is a MI by trade, and was a great defensive SS at LSU. If Shed can’t pick it up, he might lose time to Nola if Murphy makes his way back. 

To be honest, it’s fun to watch Nola have an effective bat in the Majors with a bit of power. He was strictly a glove with a solid BA at LSU. Lol. 

27 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Think he might also get ABs at 2B with Shed struggling to much? Nola is a MI by trade, and was a great defensive SS at LSU. If Shed can’t pick it up, he might lose time to Nola if Murphy makes his way back. 

To be honest, it’s fun to watch Nola have an effective bat in the Majors with a bit of power. He was strictly a glove with a solid BA at LSU. Lol. 

Glove guy,huh?  Just shows they are still kids growing physically and mentally I guess. Lindor was a glove guy too.

As for 2B, it probably depends when/if Murphy comes back.  He is healing slower than expected.  This was from last week.

Tue, Aug 18

Mariners transferred C Tom Murphy from the 10-day injured list to the 45-day injured list.

Advice: Murphy had some fantasy hype leading into the 2020 season after posting an .858 OPS with 18 home runs over 75 games last year, but he suffered a broken left foot during summer camp and can now be ruled out until at least early-to-mid September. At this point, there is no public timetable for his return to the Mariners.

(Rotoworld.com)

If Nola gets some starts at 2B (or DH or 1B) it won't be for awhile. 

Of course it just takes 5 starts on Yahoo to get say that 2B eligibility to start off next year.  And if not this season then very little time next year to gain it for those of us in dynasty or deep keepers.

11 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Huge plus for the lineup around him, though I'm wondering how it will impact his playing time 😕

Wondering that too esp after Padres just got Jason Castro as well.  I read he could play the corner infield too or even DH. 

Given Ty France was traded away, and Hedges and Castro are seemingly being kept I worry Nola could be looking at being part of the Moreland timeshare.  But they paid a hefty price for him, so it means they like him and you maximize his bat from catcher. 

Edited by Baseball Jonze
20 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I can’t see this being good for Nola. 

Well if Juan Castro deal wasn't finalized yet maybe there was some problem with the meds and it could be that that trade got cancelled.  Because Nola and Castro both make no sense.  But if Castro is out then this could work.  Nola can play 1B and 2B so if he can be both the primary catcher and utility on his days off this could work.  In the off season they may have to decide to trade him or Hedges or Mejia (currently on IL) though.  Or even try and trade Mejia tomorrow before 4 pm eastern.

I mean when Tom Murphy came back Nola would have lost a number of ABs as well.

In other news you add Trammel to the other two top outfield prospects and Kyle Lewis' massive breakout and Seattle could have the best hitting outfield in a year or so in all of baseball.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, B&F said:

Like the trade for the Pads.  Besides the top prospects most don't turn out to be anything of significance.

Are you kidding.  Nola is a 31 year old journeyman suddenly having a Hollywood-scripted season out of nowhere.  As much as you want him to live happily ever after you know he won't long term.  Trammel is legit.  Ty France couldn't get enough ABs in SD and Munoz for a couple of garbage relievers?  Seattle just committed highway robbery.

• Like 5
31 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Are you kidding.  Nola is a 31 year old journeyman suddenly having a Hollywood-scripted season out of nowhere.  As much as you want him to live happily ever after you know he won't long term.  Trammel is legit.  Ty France couldn't get enough ABs in SD and Munoz for a couple of garbage relievers?  Seattle just committed highway robbery.

I agree 100%, I know SD is all in, and I know they have a deep farm system, and you should use that depth to improve your roster, but that trade was a poor use of resources.

• Like 4

Well Austin Nola has a clearer track to catch now.  Mejia on the IL and Hedges off to Cleveland.

MLB Insider Robert Murray reports that the Padres have acquired Mike Clevinger from the Indians.

Oh my. Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic has Clevinger, OF Greg Allen, and a player to be named later coming to San Diego and SS Gabriel Arias, RHP Cal Quantrill, OF Josh Naylor, C Austin Hedges, LHP Joey Cantillo, and INF Owen Miller going to Cleveland. The Padres have been the most active team in advance of Monday's trade deadline and it was probably only a matter of time before they struck on adding a big-name pitcher. Clevinger was the most notable name on the market and San Diego didn't hesitate to get their man. The 29-year-old has registered a 3.18 ERA with 21 strikeouts in 22 2/3 innings (four starts) this season and gives the Padres the type of frontline pitcher they need to make a long postseason run. This move isn't just about this year either, as Clevinger will still have two years of team control after 2020.

Source: Robert Murray on Twitter              Aug 31, 2020, 11:13 AM ET

12 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Nola is having arguably the best offensive season of all catchers this year.   SD doesn't need him to be their "future" they have top catching prospect in the wings for that.  He's acquired for the "now" while also having few catching miles on his body given he only transitioned there a few years ago so he could probably still catch for 4-5 more years as a bench bat. Do you trade Trammel for a better chance to win this year - ask me in a couple of months.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Nola is having arguably the best offensive season of all catchers this year.   SD doesn't need him to be their "future" they have top catching prospect in the wings for that.  He's acquired for the "now" while also having few catching miles on his body given he only transitioned there a few years ago so he could probably still catch for 4-5 more years as a bench bat. Do you trade Trammel for a better chance to win this year - ask me in a couple of months.

Yeah you mean Luis Campusano.  Having him on the doorstep made it easier to do the whole catcher dance and if Austin Nola can keep it going a few more years then so much the better for SD since two good ones is better than one.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
22 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

We’ll see about Nola, but I disagree on Trammel. But yeah, I agree that Seattle took SD for a ride lol.