NBC Sports Edge Forums

Austin Slater 2020 Outlook

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This feels like the kind of guy that you pick up and he promptly goes 1 for 15 with 10k’s, but what the hell. Welcome aboard, kid.

So it's pretty rare for me to add players without researching them thoroughly, but after getting alerted on Twitter that Slater stole his 5th base to go along with his 3 homers on the year, I mass add

Posted Images

The fact that he didn’t get the start against a lefty the other night and didn’t see the field in a blowout when they emptied their bench tells me he’s probably still dinged up from his injuries. It’s amazing how little relevant info these beat writers are able to get these days.

Oh well, this was a painful goose egg in my weekly leagues this week. On the bright side I think he’ll be a dirt cheap late round flyer next year and I’ll be back to try again.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, street sharks said:

Smart move might be to hold now with the COVID delay giving him a few days rest without games. Might be some doubleheaders coming up.

I agree, but you could also argue that he's going to be useless for another handful of days and if you need a spot, you might as well go get someone, because you can't IL him now. Seems like an "if you can hold, hold, if you can't, don't sweat it too much" type scenario.

He wasn't listed in the starting line-up again today not that that matters since the game is PPD because of bad air quality from the fires. 

But yesterday, a day that should have also been PPD judging from what I saw on TV on Fox where the smoke was thick like fog the whole game, he wasn't in the line-up for a DOUBLE HEADER.  Usually everyone gets in at least one game in a double header and yet he wasn't in either game.  This is really troubling.  Either say he is injured or in the dog house for some reason or otherwise explain his absence.  Don't the SF beat reporters know how to ask basic questions.

9 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He wasn't listed in the starting line-up again today not that that matters since the game is PPD because of bad air quality from the fires. 

But yesterday, a day that should have also been PPD judging from what I saw on TV on Fox where the smoke was thick like fog the whole game, he wasn't in the line-up for a DOUBLE HEADER.  Usually everyone gets in at least one game in a double header and yet he wasn't in either game.  This is really troubling.  Either say he is injured or in the dog house for some reason or otherwise explain his absence.  Don't the SF beat reporters know how to ask basic questions.

I’m thinking he isn’t healthy enough to hit but they want him up to pinch run.

FINALLY an update:

The good:

Kapler suggested that with the Mariners pitching lefty Nick Margevicius on Thursday, Slater probably will start...

The not-so-good:

Kapler said he’s hopeful “things will trend in the right direction” with Slater’s throwing, but it’s getting more difficult to see him playing the field this season with each day.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, crafty said:

FINALLY an update:

The good:

Kapler suggested that with the Mariners pitching lefty Nick Margevicius on Thursday, Slater probably will start...

The not-so-good:

Kapler said he’s hopeful “things will trend in the right direction” with Slater’s throwing, but it’s getting more difficult to see him playing the field this season with each day.

The logical: 

Play him at DH then.

38 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The logical: 

Play him at DH then.

It seems there's just no spot for him right now.  If you look around the lineup, I'm not sure who you can confidently remove and put Slater in.  Flores at DH has been good enough to keep his role and with Belt having a resurgence you can't slot Flores at 1B.  It's just bad luck right now.  Unless one of their starters struggle mightily, I'm not sure we see Slater return to a starting role this season.  

1 hour ago, cizastro said:

It seems there's just no spot for him right now.  If you look around the lineup, I'm not sure who you can confidently remove and put Slater in.  Flores at DH has been good enough to keep his role and with Belt having a resurgence you can't slot Flores at 1B.  It's just bad luck right now.  Unless one of their starters struggle mightily, I'm not sure we see Slater return to a starting role this season.  

Slater brings both power and speed to the game.  Flores has no speed.  Flores can play 2B too.  Heck he once played SS.  Give a player one day off a week at 1B, 2B, SS etc and shift the others around and there is plenty of playing time for Slater at DH.

8 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Slater brings both power and speed to the game.  Flores has no speed.  Flores can play 2B too.  Heck he once played SS.  Give a player one day off a week at 1B, 2B, SS etc and shift the others around and there is plenty of playing time for Slater at DH.

You're preaching to the choir, man.  I'm just saying I see why he's not back in the lineup.  If you look across the Giants lineup they're all hitting well and nobody has played themselves out of a job  I own Slater so obviously I'd love for him to get regular PT, I just also see why he's not.  A rotation is a good idea though to keep everyone fresh.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Really?  I thought with Yaz going out with a tight calf muscle Slater would be good for a few days in a row of playing.  But lifted after Yaz already exited tonight is not a good sign.

Yep. Unless he was pulled for other reasons I’m not aware of... but either way, as you said, not a good sign.

He’s not going to play OF for the rest of the season most likely due to injury. So Yaz coming out has no impact on his playing time. 

People probably don’t realize how much the giants have been raking up and down the lineup (crazy, I know). His ABs are going to be coming at he the expense of either Belt or Flores (they don’t want to move Flores around beyond 1B as his defense is pretty bad) who have both been great. I’ve always been a big Slater fan but due to circumstance he isn’t going to play a ton most likely. 

Edited by fourstar
1 hour ago, fourstar said:

He’s not going to play OF for the rest of the season most likely due to injury. So Yaz coming out has no impact on his playing time. 

People probably don’t realize how much the giants have been raking up and down the lineup (crazy, I know). His ABs are going to be coming at he the expense of either Belt or Flores (they don’t want to move Flores around beyond 1B as his defense is pretty bad) who have both been great. I’ve always been a big Slater fan but due to circumstance he isn’t going to play a ton most likely. 

But Solanco can play in the outfield and Flores can play 2B leaving the DH spot free for him.  Flores isn't that bad at 2B compared to NOT having Slater in the line-up.  Because if they think all these players will remain sharp at the plate the last week and a half they are in for a rude awakening as that never happens in baseball.  At which point Slater will be rusty with his timing all off to do much to help.