NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Draft Strategy by Pick

jay2491

I thought it would be a good idea for people who know what their pick is to share ideas on how they’re going to construct their rosters. 

I have 1st pick in a 14 team PPR league, debating between RB RB RB (Cmac gurley bell) RB WR RB (Cmac Galloday Bell) or RB WR WR (Cmac Galloday Ridley/Woods/Kupp) . So far I’m leaning 2 RBs and a WR, the RBs in rounds 4-5 are all huge question marks, better to lock up two guys who are guaranteed 3 down backs. But taking a guy like Galloday will make sure you’re not weak at WR plus there’s tons of solid high floor guys like Landry and crowder later on. Thoughts? 

Edited by jay2491

I have pick 10 in a 12 team PPR and I'm probably going to go RB/RB/WR/WR 

I've found I can get 2 of Mixon/Sanders/Drake and then Theilen/Moore/Kupp/Ridley

after that I get a solid WR2 like Woods, Chark unless there's an RB with a lot of potential

6th I'll take Murray/Dak/Wilson if there, otherwise best RB/WR

TE seems relatively deep so I've been taking someone around rounds 8-10 and QB a little later if I don't get a top-5

Once you get around 110+ there's a good amount of decent WRs but not much at all for RB unless you're going timeshares/cuffs

Always go for upside guys late

Probably won't draft D/K and will stream once I decide who to drop

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Panthers8912 said:

Picks 1-5 best rb available. Pick 6: congrats you got the worst spot, don’t draft MT. I’d probably take CEH or sanders here. Picks 7-14: take the best rb available or possible Adams depending on the spot

I don't buy that at all anymore.  Sanders and CEH are right there with Kamara and Cook in PPR (imo).  And you get the higher pick coming back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Panthers8912 said:

Picks 1-5 best rb available. Pick 6: congrats you got the worst spot, don’t draft MT. I’d probably take CEH or sanders here. Picks 7-14: take the best rb available or possible Adams depending on the spot

I have pick 6 in a 12 team league and it’s brutal in all honesty.

Thomas at pick 6 is great value but the problem is you don’t pick again until 19. At that point pretty much all the RBs are gone. You’re left with taking like Ekeler, Gordon, Gurley, or Bell if you want a back. So now you are taking like Godwin, Jackson, Kelce, or something like that. Then at 30 you can probably get a decent RB value like Bell or Gurley.

The problem is at 40 it’s the same problem as at 19. Most of the RB value dried up. Are you really going to take like Swift or Akers there? Probably not so you have to take Robinson or someone like that.

So if you don’t reach for a back at 6 you’re looking at like Thomas, Godwin, Bell, and Robinson as your first 4. Just no...

That being said I’m really warming up to Sanders at 6. Starting to really shoot up my boards.

8 minutes ago, K197040 said:

I don't buy that at all anymore.  Sanders and CEH are right there with Kamara and Cook in PPR (imo).  And you get the higher pick coming back. 

Yeah they’re pretty much in the same tier. I think 4-9 or so are all kind of underwhelming. Top 3 is the gold spot with Elliot, CMC, and Barkley. 10-12 is also nice because you really get two studs. 

If I had to redo my RB rankings Sanders would be 5th most likely. I mostly have a problem with the value in the 18-22 range. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Thomas at pick 6 is great value but the problem is you don’t pick again until 19. At that point pretty much all the RBs are gone. You’re left with taking like Ekeler, Gordon, Gurley, or Bell if you want a back. So now you are taking like Godwin, Jackson, Kelce, or something like that. Then at 30 you can probably get a decent RB value like Bell or Gurley.

The problem is at 40 it’s the same problem as at 19. Most of the RB value dried up. Are you really going to take like Swift or Akers there? Probably not so you have to take Robinson or someone like that.

So if you don’t reach for a back at 6 you’re looking at like Thomas, Godwin, Bell, and Robinson as your first 4. Just no...

That being said I’m really warming up to Sanders at 6. Starting to really shoot up my boards.

Agree with pick 6, I had pick 6 in the Rotoworld Mock league and it's not a good position to draft from(especially if it's a deeper league 12 or more)

4 hours ago, Gohawks said:

If Henry doesn't go at 4 or 5 then you hit the lottery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, AlexxelA said:

I've found I can get 2 of Mixon/Sanders/Drake and then Theilen/Moore/Kupp/Ridley

after that I get a solid WR2 like Woods, Chark unless there's an RB with a lot of potential

TE seems relatively deep so I've been taking someone around rounds 8-10 and QB a little later if I don't get a top-5

Once you get around 110+ there's a good amount of decent WRs but not much at all for RB unless you're going timeshares/cuffs

Edit: sorry quoted the wrong one 

Edited by Breesus

5 hours ago, Gohawks said:

It’s unfortunate you aren’t in a 3 WR league, I’d say your best option would be to go Thomas then use your other top 2 picks for a Golladay/Amari/Odell combo. And just have a dominant WR core and take it from there, you are definitely in a pickle in a 2 WR setup. I’d probably go with Cook or Clyde whichever is there, and if it’s cook grab his handcuff a round or 2 early to lock up the backfield. If Cook stays healthy he’s a great pick at 6.

I also love Sanders, he’s my RB7 this year.

Edited by Breesus

10 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

If i dont land a top 4 rb, im going lamar jackson, and build around thatr

I prefer 6-8 spot . This year 'm drafting tenth in a ten team standard league.

I'm thinking this or draft 4rbs than draft 3 or 4 wr in a row and take it from there   mixon/ sanders rnd 1/2 gurley/taylor rnd 3/4 is how im mocking it atm. If not mixon chubb.. 

• Like 1

I draft 10th full ppr. 1qb, 2wr, 2rb, 1 flex

In yahoo mocks, I have been consistently going

10- Adams or Julio Jones- Safe

15- Kelce- Safe

34-DJ Moore or Calvin Ridley- Safe

39- Fournette- A risk, but should get 250 touches gets receiving work and has a cheap handcuff, 

58- Kareem Hunt- This is the trade off of not going RB in the first 3 picks. Stand alone value in ppr and then top 5 rb if chubb misses time

63- Devante Parker or TY Hilton

82- James White or Cohen

87- Landry or Edelman or B. Cooks

106- Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers (Imagine no crowd noise every game these guys will destroy defenses)

Then go WR/RB the entire draft don't draft a defense or a kicker just pick up all handcuffs and upside wr guys. Corona can hit at any minute. 

Starting Line-Up Ideal

QB- Brady

WR- Adams and DJ Moore

RB- Fournette and Hunt

TE- Kelce

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, nmartinez12443 said:

15- Kelce- Safe

39- Fournette- A risk, but should get 250 touches gets receiving work and has a cheap handcuff, 

58- Kareem Hunt- This is the trade off of not going RB in the first 3 picks. Stand alone value in ppr and then top 5 rb if chubb misses time

82- James White or Cohen

106- Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers (Imagine no crowd noise every game these guys will destroy defenses)

Then go WR/RB the entire draft don't draft a defense or a kicker just pick up all handcuffs and upside wr guys. Corona can hit at any minute. 

Starting Line-Up Ideal

QB- Brady

WR- Adams and DJ Moore

RB- Fournette and Hunt

TE- Kelce

Flex- Parker

23 minutes ago, nmartinez12443 said:

3 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

5th pick here, thoughts? I’m trying to talk myself out of MT13 cause I prefer getting a RB. I like Kamara the most, if he’s gone I’m thinking Cook, CEH, or Jacobs (it is PPR) 

This is a very tough spot, I would go with Kamara or Cook handcuff with mattison a round early. After that your looking at WRs like Godwin/Kittle/etc

1 minute ago, nmartinez12443 said:

This is a very tough spot, I would go with Kamara or Cook handcuff with mattison a round early. After that your looking at WRs like Godwin/Kittle/etc

Yeah I’m praying kamara is there. Otherwise it’ll probably be cook.

2 hours ago, nmartinez12443 said:

Kamara or Cook then hope that a low end RB1 is available on the way back or take Kelce/Kittle, IMO. I feel you on Cook and I like Kamara a lot more, but Cook is a monster when he's on the field. If you are too worried about the injury risk, I'd go Mixon or CEH if you like him. I know it's a little silly but CEH just scares me to spend 1st round capital on because of this offseason.

On 8/12/2020 at 10:31 AM, jay2491 said:

I thought it would be a good idea for people who know what their pick is to share ideas on how they’re going to construct their rosters. 

I have 1st pick in a 14 team PPR league, debating between RB RB RB (Cmac gurley bell) RB WR RB (Cmac Galloday Bell) or RB WR WR (Cmac Galloday Ridley/Woods/Kupp) . So far I’m leaning 2 RBs and a WR, the RBs in rounds 4-5 are all huge question marks, better to lock up two guys who are guaranteed 3 down backs. But taking a guy like Galloday will make sure you’re not weak at WR plus there’s tons of solid high floor guys like Landry and crowder later on. Thoughts? 

What do you start? Amount of WRs, RBs and Flexes matters here.

Assuming it's 2/2/1:

Hmm. I'd grab CMC, of course, and then assuming that Jacobs/Jones/Chubb/Ekeler are gone, I'd probably take two WR's. They're just so much of a safer bet at that point in the draft. I would try to match an upside/higher TD/aDot/big play guy like Kenny G or Odell with a secure high target type guy like Thielen, DJ Moore, Juju or Woods. Since it's PPR, I don't hate it if you wanna go Bell or maybe Gurley, but I just feel so much better about the WRs. 

IMO, in PPR, the RB2 is one of the easiest positions to stream because of high level pass catchers that compile points. It's not ideal, but you're going to find more RB2 types come available than WR2 types. Typically only WR3 types come available throughout the season. 

Hope this helps!

On 8/12/2020 at 12:27 PM, AlexxelA said:

Nice, my league is standard with yardage bonuses and this is exactly what I'm trying to do as well. Though, in the 6th, I'm finding guys like Hunt, RoJo, and sometimes Chark/Woods that I will take over Kyler, Dak or Russ. I like the QB value there though. I like getting Hunt and/or Rojo in 5 and 6 so I have a dependable 3rd RB because they're gone after that. Typically, at TE, I'm just waiting to 10-12 and taking Jonnu. I really like his chances to see a big tick up i ntargets this year. Worst case I'll go to Jarwin or someone else.

3 hours ago, nmartinez12443 said:

15- Kelce- Safe

82- James White or Cohen

Starting Line-Up Ideal

QB- Brady

WR- Adams and DJ Moore

RB- Fournette and Hunt

TE- Kelce

I'm good with this plan for PPR, but I just can't say enough how much I think Fournette is a grenade pick this year. He was my 1st RB target in the 3rd round (went Hopkins/Juju from 10, also) and while he did okay, I watched him a LOT and he did not look good. He was not efficient. He looked awful as a pass catcher. I fully expect him to be a TRAP back on a BAD team that is projected to be the worst in football this year. That is a recipe for disaster. I'd much rather have Bell there, or if he's not available just get a 3rd WR like Woods, Chark, or whoever is going to be way safer and give you higher upside there.

Really love this post. I would appreciate any feedback.

I am drafting 9th out of 12 in my commish league. It's standard (gimme a break, we voted for half-ppr and it didn't pass because we have yardage bonuses :P)

QB

RB

RB

WR

WR

TE

W/R

W/R/T

5pts per: 80 rec yd; 100 rush yd; 250 pass yd

--

Mostly, I've been going Mixon (amongst Adams, CEH, Sanders, Drake) > Drake/Sanders/Jacobs > OBJ/Thielen/Moore > Moore/Ridley/Woods > Woods/Chark/Hunt > Hunt/Rojo/Kyler/Dak

Now, I love this plan. I'm pretty sold on going RB/RB/WR/WR and then either 2 RBs, RB/WR, or maybe one of the 2 and a QB (prob not). But here's what I'm having trouble with. Who is the guy at 9I like Mixon, but am I fool for passing on the safety of Adams, or the upside of CEH? I could also be sold on Sanders, Drake, Chubb or Jacobs but they might be there in round 2.

Also, are Conner or Taylor worth it over one of the WRs in the 3rd? We can start up to 4 RBs and it's standard.

Would love any and all thoughts. Thanks, y'all!

EDIT: I am going for late TE (maybe Hurst in 8th, if not Jonnu, if not Jarwin/whatever; as well as late QB - thinking Goff late on since he will hit the 250 bonus a lot.

Edited by aapox
  • Like 1