NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Draft Strategy by Pick

jay2491

I had the #3 pick in a 0.5 PPR, 10 teamer and wasn't happy with it.  I ended up taking Dalvin Cook and picking Alexander Mattison later as insurance.  I passed on Ezekiel Elliott who many people say should be the surefire 3rd pick.  Not a fan of his this year after his whole co-vid19 ordeal and I think his stats will decline.

I ended up taking another rb, Josh Jacobs, with my 2nd round pick and Aaron Jones fell to the early 3rd so I ended up taking him there for my flex spot.  Ended up taking te Mark Andrews in the 4th and my starting 2 wr's, Cooper Kupp and T.Y. Hilton were taken in the next 2 rounds.  Looking back, I probably should have taken a wr in the 3rd round but I felt I got good value with Jones there.

Edited by sjm76
  • Like 2

I pick 1st In a 14 team ppr with 2 rb, 3 wr and a flex. I like the WRs more than the RBs on the turn. When youre staring  at Thielen juju Galloday Cooper Moore vs Carson fournette Melvin Gurley and conner how are you guys approaching the  2/3 turn?

I've been leaning going wr heavy and taking guys like Akers, James white and Rojo. Team would look something like 

RB Cmac

RB ROJO 

WR Thielen 

WR Moore

WR Landry

FLEX Gallup/ White 

Would it be better to take the risk on that tier of rb instead of stacking WRS? 

On 8/24/2020 at 9:23 AM, jay2491 said:

I pick 1st In a 14 team ppr with 2 rb, 3 wr and a flex. I like the WRs more than the RBs on the turn. When youre staring  at Thielen juju Galloday Cooper Moore vs Carson fournette Melvin Gurley and conner how are you guys approaching the  2/3 turn?

I've been leaning going wr heavy and taking guys like Akers, James white and Rojo. Team would look something like 

RB Cmac

RB ROJO 

WR Thielen 

WR Moore

WR Landry

FLEX Gallup/ White 

Would it be better to take the risk on that tier of rb instead of stacking WRS? 

So I’m actually 1st pick in a 12 team thinking of the opposite. I might just reach on a david Johnson/Conner/gurley there and snatch up the WR depth later. It’s totally going against BPA, but there is no way I feel okay with Rojo or Akers as my RB2. 

21 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

So I’m actually 1st pick in a 12 team thinking of the opposite. I might just reach on a david Johnson/Conner/gurley there and snatch up the WR depth later. It’s totally going against BPA, but there is no way I feel okay with Rojo or Akers as my RB2. 

That’s the beauty of having CMC. You can pretty much do whatever strategy you want, just pick the right people. 

In my two drafts I have the 5th (10T) and 8th (12T). With the 5th pick, I’m trying to grab two RBs to start, then two WRs. With the 8th pick, I would like to do the same or Thomas if he drops and an RB. Then grab one of the gurley/conner bunch in round 3. I’d feel better with starting with two backs, but If Thomas fell I would have to take him (and it’s possible he does).

1 hour ago, einstein2u said:

load up on RB, you can win with WR late.  TE looks ok, get kelce or kittle or wait.  i always wait on qb, but love kyler in the 5th

Yup basic fantasy football strategy always works. Load up on Rbs and then just take the best players available. Keep it simple and load up with as many quality rbs as you can, there’s always a huge demand for rbs always.

10 team half point with yardage bonuses(1qb/2rb/3wr/flex). I like zero RB, late round qb/te but this seems like a year to play the board and go best available. I've run a bunch of mocks on Fantasy Pros Draft Calculator and I think top 3 is the place to start and lock up CMC/Barkley/Zeke. My favorite mock so far was CMC/AJones/Golladay/Mclaurin/Metcalf and some solid bench guys. Most of my mocks I end up with those receivers or Ridley in there with two stud RB's, I really like those receivers in the 3-6 rounds. I dont like the middle picks at all cause there are so many questions for me with Cook/Kamara/Henry/Sanders/CEH that I prefer picking from whats left and a higher pick at the turn.

I had another one from 10 that went Jones/Chubb/Evans/OBJ/Bell that I was pretty happy with. Another one against actual people started with Barkley, Godwin, Golladay, OBJ, Ingram I think I'd be set and could do really well from that foundation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BarkleysCleats said:

I’d I get pick #1 I’m going Saquon Barkley over CMC and building around that. Call me crazy but they aren’t that far apart talent wise.

I did that last year and it was a big mistake. I'm not sure the Giants offensive line is going to be any better in 2020.

The last I checked, the plan was to have 3 new starters in the O-Line.  With the covid-preseason, it could take a while for the unit to gel.

All I can say is that it was no fun watching CMC run wild in comparison to what Barkley did on the field last year. 

12 minutes ago, rabaak said:

I did that last year and it was a big mistake. I'm not sure the Giants offensive line is going to be any better in 2020.

The last I checked, the plan was to have 3 new starters in the O-Line.  With the covid-preseason, it could take a while for the unit to gel.

All I can say is that it was no fun watching CMC run wild in comparison to what Barkley did on the field last year. 

I see where your coming from but to be fair Barkley missed 3 games I think and had a high ankle sprain. I don’t think that situation will happen again. As for the new OLINE I’m not worried can’t be worse than what he had his rookie season and last year.im actually glad they added 3 new ones.

I'm picking 12 out of 12 and 14 out of 14 in two of my keeper leagues this year where some of the top first/second round talent is already off the board.  If I can't get 2 RBs or RB and top 3 WR coming out of the first round, my second pick is going to be either Lamar/Mahomes or Kelce/Kittle.  RBs in bigger leagues are scarce, but I don't feel if I can compete if I'm spending my second round turn pick on a Chris Carson / Lenny F / James Conner / Bell type RB.  I'll just have to rely on finding another RB in the 3rd-4th.

Anyone else playing in bigger leagues have pretty crappy RB stables if you're drafting from the back?  Mocks not looking good so far.

I've toyed with the idea of going TE-QB, like a Kelce/Lamar or Kelce/Mahomes, but that really seems to put me in a RB and WR hole.  I would be gaining the advantage at those two positions however, but yeah I now, position scarcity, blah blah blah.  I know that VBD says I should still take the RB or WRs there, but seems pretty hard to compete when I'm choosing Tier 2 guys as my first two picks trying to compete with the rest of the league.

On 8/22/2020 at 9:51 AM, sjm76 said:

I had the #3 pick in a 0.5 PPR, 10 teamer and wasn't happy with it.  I ended up taking Dalvin Cook and picking Alexander Mattison later as insurance.  I passed on Ezekiel Elliott who many people say should be the surefire 3rd pick.  Not a fan of his this year after his whole co-vid19 ordeal and I think his stats will decline.

I ended up taking another rb, Josh Jacobs, with my 2nd round pick and Aaron Jones fell to the early 3rd so I ended up taking him there for my flex spot.  Ended up taking te Mark Andrews in the 4th and my starting 2 wr's, Cooper Kupp and T.Y. Hilton were taken in the next 2 rounds.  Looking back, I probably should have taken a wr in the 3rd round but I felt I got good value with Jones there.

I have the #3 pick as well and I'm drafting Elliot specifically because he already had COVID-19.  I know that doesn't make him immune from getting it again but its less likely than someone who has not already had it. 

Just my thoughts but the dude is a lock for 1200/10TD/40+rec. 

43 minutes ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

I have the #3 pick as well and I'm drafting Elliot specifically because he already had COVID-19.  I know that doesn't make him immune from getting it again but its less likely than someone who has not already had it. 

Just my thoughts but the dude is a lock for 1200/10TD/40+rec. 

im in the 3 spot as well....my mock drafts have been me taking kamara over zeke and if barkley falls to me i usually take him...my 2nd pick has been mike evans (not sure if i should even pick him this high but i like him alot this year), aaron jones, chris carlson, or james conor....i have a hard time choosing btw these guys at this pick...if i get jones i usually take him over all of them but if i dont land jones i struggle with the remaining 3 but usually take evans and hope carlson or conor fall to me in round 3...then when round 4 & 5 comes around i am usually going rb again with ingram or take zach ertz if he is still there....what you guys think? lol

Edited by Power-O
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Power-O said:

im in the 3 spot as well....my mock drafts have been me taking kamara over zeke and if barkley falls to me i usually take him...my 2nd pick has been mike evans (not sure if i should even pick him this high but i like him alot this year), aaron jones, chris carlson, or james conor....i have a hard time choosing btw these guys at this pick...if i get jones i usually take him over all of them but if i dont land jones i struggle with the remaining 3 but usually take evans and hope carlson or conor fall to me in round 3...then when round 4 & 5 comes around i am usually going rb again with ingram or take zach ertz if he is still there....what you guys think? lol

I feel like it's a no brainer CMAC, Barkley, Zeke order this year. 

I'm at #2, and am considering Zeke, because he's on a much better offense...but not sure I could handle a season where barkley goes off and I got too smart for my own good.

22 minutes ago, FooserX said:

I feel like it's a no brainer CMAC, Barkley, Zeke order this year. 

I'm at #2, and am considering Zeke, because he's on a much better offense...but not sure I could handle a season where barkley goes off and I got too smart for my own good.

I feel like everyone forgets Barkley was RB1 in 2018. 

3 hours ago, Power-O said:

What site are you mocking on?  I haven't had jones come anywhere near my 2nd round pick on ESPN. 

After going through about 10 mocks today I'm going 1 of 2 ways in my 12 team league:

Way 1:

1-Zeke/Barkley

2-Kelce or Kittle

3-Gurley

4-Connor or Cupp

5-Cupp or  Keenan or DK

6) Deebo/Crowder

Way 2:

1-Zeke/Barkley

2-Hill/Gurley

3-Gurley/Connor

4-Cupp/Allen

5-Allen or DK

6) Waller or KMurray or Dwatson (only got him once though)

After pick 17 or 18 this year there is nothing at RB and I'm not wild about the WR's besides Hill who I only got 2/10 times.  I'll probably get torched for drafting both Gurley and Connor but I can handcuff Conner with Snell for cheap and if I get 10 good games out of Gurley I think I will be able to maneuver. 

I never go TE or QB early but am open to it this year because i think its going to be a cluster **** regardless so figured I might as well try some new stuff out.

8 minutes ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

What site are you mocking on?  I haven't had jones come anywhere near my 2nd round pick on ESPN. 

After going through about 10 mocks today I'm going 1 of 2 ways in my 12 team league:

Way 1:

1-Zeke/Barkley

2-Kelce or Kittle

3-Gurley

4-Connor or Cupp

5-Cupp or  Keenan or DK

6) Deebo/Crowder

Way 2:

1-Zeke/Barkley

2-Hill/Gurley

3-Gurley/Connor

4-Cupp/Allen

5-Allen or DK

6) Waller or KMurray or Dwatson (only got him once though)

After pick 17 or 18 this year there is nothing at RB and I'm not wild about the WR's besides Hill who I only got 2/10 times.  I'll probably get torched for drafting both Gurley and Connor but I can handcuff Conner with Snell for cheap and if I get 10 good games out of Gurley I think I will be able to maneuver. 

I never go TE or QB early but am open to it this year because i think its going to be a cluster **** regardless so figured I might as well try some new stuff out.

I cant stomach taking a conner/carson/gurley in the 3rd when ljax or a stud wr slips there. Id rather gamble on RJones/Taylor/Mostert/Akers types in the 4th/5th rounds. 

With 3rd pick im taking zeke in the 1st. Only rb id take in 2nd is Ekeler. Otherwise I'm taking Godwin or Golliday. Id pass on Kittle. Too many TEs I like. In the 3rd im hoping LJax slips to me. Of not, only then would I take Conner/carson. In the 4th I'd love Ridley/Sutton/Woods. In the 5th is where km gambling on a RB. Then targeting QB in 6th and a few TE sleepers after (Higbee, Gronk, Hurst, Gesicki, Fant).

I have the 13th pick in a new 14team 0.5ppr dynasty league. We will keep 4 players after the season. Normally I would go RB/RB for sure with my first two picks but I don’t know if it’s maybe not better to go with a QB first? What do you think who I should take? WR between rounds 3-7 are enough with much potential, but the beginning is kinda tricky

I'm in 2 standard scoring leagues, picking 11/12 and 12/12 (hey, at least it makes my mocking easier).

One league is 2rb, 2wr, 1flx (plus the usual); the other is 2rb, 3wr, 0flx.

Really changes how I have to start.

In standard, I think I pretty much have to go rb-rb in the flex league, then probably rb again in the 3rd or 4th.  The drop off is just too big for me (I prefer rbs to wrs in general) from the top of the 4th to the bottom of the 5th. Usually looking at choosing 2 of possibly Jacobs, Sanders, Mixon, Drake, Chubb, A Jones, and maybe Edwards-Hillaire.  Cook and Henry never make it that far.  I'm good with that.  If Devante Adams falls, he's a smart choice - but I don't feel great about my teams when I go that route (might just be my rb prejudice though).  The 3-4 turn has 5 or 6 similar wrs, and 3 or 4 similarly unsure rbs.  I'll consider a qb at the 5-6 turn, but we'll see.  The draft position pretty much eliminates any thought of taking a te before round 7, at least in the mocks I've done - just not enough comparative advantage there.

The other league is a different story.  I prefer to flex rbs, so always want 3 really strong ones, but with no flex rb and a 3rd wr it's a totally different landscape. There, I like going rb-wr or wr-rb in rounds 1-2.  Philosophy is get a (hopefully) consistent high end rb and a stud wr to establish a base, then a consistent wr.  For this league, I'm much more likely to think about grabbing a qb and/or te in the rounds 3-6 range.  Figure I can get what I want for a wr2 in there, and lock up a top 5 prospect at qb and te.  For my wr3, I'm leaning towards a boom/bust type (brown, fuller, green, lamb, Hardman, etc) - guys who have injury or variance concerns but could hit).  Will hopefully get 2 or 3 options for that by end of the draft.  That leaves my rb2 spot to be filled. And if I get 1 rb, 2 wrs, a qb, and a te in the first 5 or 6 rounds, I figure I'll have to pound rbs in the 6-10 range and have a bunch of options hoping one hits.

Take from all that what you will, but drafting at the back of the line really forces you to be decisive because there such a big gap between each pair of picks and the next.  Same goes for picking at the top of the draft, though there you can (or should be able to) count on having a stud to anchor your squad and give a slight bump to your margin for error. 

We'll see how it goes.

It's also really interesting to see how drastically the 2rb/3wr vs 2rb/2wr/1flx changes my approach. I find myself favoring opposing approaches (though I don't do zero rb, so not complete opposite).  Such a small tweak, but it sends me in so very different directions. 

• Thanks 1

So picked 6th last night in a 12 team draft and this is how it went

1. Henry - initially wanted Sanders but his line is so beat up that at 6 I couldn’t do it. I really hoped Cook would be here but he goes top 5 almost every draft 

2. Kelce - Was between Kelce, Godwin, and Hopkins. I really wanted a piece of the Chiefs offense and felt like he was the safest bet as well. Plus the advantage he provides at TE is huge. However, if you can go RB/RB do it. It’s just unlikely that at 19 there will be a back that is worth that draft capital. The receivers in the next few rounds are damn good...

3. Robinson - I felt like it’s a bit too early to take a running back here from the next tier and I needed a WR1. Robinson was the best option IMO

4. Juju - I really wanted to get my RB2 but over the next 12 or 13 picks Conner, Gurley, Fournette, Bell, and pretty much every other RB in the range was taken. The best options were like Swift and Akers and it was way too early to take one of them. People seem to be split on Juju with some saying he shouldn’t be taken even in like the first 7 rounds while some think 3rd round is great value. I think he’s due to bounce back and has serious WR1 potential.  

5. Akers - I was really hoping he would be there because I didn’t like any of the RBs after Akers either. That being said, I’m really high on him and expect him to run away with the job

6. Parker - Another guy I’m pretty high on. Again, felt like there’s no RBs that are worthy for a reach.

So yeah, only 2 RBs in the first 6 rounds and Akers as an RB2 isn’t the best to say the least. That being said, I wasn’t going to reach for anyone that I didn’t like just to take a back. I think this shows how important it is to not take Thomas at 6. Otherwise there will be some serious reaching. Plus the WR talent in like round 3-5 is insane.

Over the next 10 rounds I drafted my QB, defense, kicker, and...7 running backs. 

• Like 1

I picked 11/12 last night (standard) and here's how my first 7 rounds went. People were drafting backups at RB starting in round 4 and WR value was insane. No designated TE in this league (3 WR/TE)

1.11 Mixon (took Gio late)

2.2 Drake (took Edmonds late)

3.11 Golladay

4.2 Evans

5.11 DJ Moore

6.2 D. Montgomery (we start 3 RB, felt he was good value even if he misses some time.) 

7.11 R. Woods (still on the board, wtf?)

Edited by ponchsox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

Over the next 10 rounds I drafted my QB, defense, kicker, and...7 running backs. 

Interesting. I have the 6th pick too. Were Drake or Eckler there at 19? 

I'm interested in what running backs you ended up with from the later rounds. I'm thinking it is easier to get higher upside WR's in the later rounds of the draft. But maybe you found some gems in the later rounds.