NBC Sports Edge Forums

Qb-big Ben, Daniel Jones

Rb-mixon, sanders, Carson, Ronald Jones, Vaughn, Edmonds, duke, Evans, Dillon, Snell

Wr- golladay, Beckham, chark, Jefferson, diontae, lazard, Preston williams, AB

Te- Hurst, Jarwin

I was offered

Lockett, Andrews and 2021 1st 

For

OBJ and Carson

Ten team .5 PPR

First year in dynasty and this is my startup roster. What's your thoughts. 

34 minutes ago, tonyg125 said:

What's your thoughts. 

1) In a 10-team Dynasty, that's probably not a top team (but you might still make the playoffs). Right?

2) In general I think trading away OBJ and Carson is not a bad idea, and getting a 1st in the process is always good. However, I'm not sure you need a TE (or can afford to trade a RB away). 

So all in all I think this is a pretty good trade, but I don't think it's the trade you need. What I would be looking for instead is a top-5 RB, which is what you will need to really compete, I think.

I would take that trade even though I agree with above poster who said it doesn’t quite fill your needs. 
The trade itself is more in your favor once you throw in the draft pick. 
Perhaps Hurst could be traded in a separate deal after this one? Or Jarwin if he starts the season strong?

I don’t think your RBs are that bad either. Guessing you must have picked from the 8-10 spot and Mixon, Sanders with the Tampa rbs is ok. Certainly got 2 great options just perhaps not much depth.

21 hours ago, tonyg125 said:

@Boudewijn. Thank you. What do you think it's going to take to get a top 5 back. Probably not going to be easy to get.... OBJ, Carson?  Add a pick?

It would be great if you can somehow get that pick in the first trade and flip it with another piece for a RB1. If you do that first trade you would have 3 TEs, so maybe you can use that?

36 minutes ago, Black_Panther said:

I don’t think your RBs are that bad either. Guessing you must have picked from the 8-10 spot and Mixon, Sanders with the Tampa rbs is ok

In redraft in 10-team that's pretty good, but this is Dynasty, and then there will generally be 2-3 top dogs who have a lot stronger team. That's why I think that to compete with those, he needs to shore up the RBs.

In year 1 dynasty you’re starting from a level playing field with the exception of who got the first pick. There really shouldn’t be a few top dogs at this stage and if there is then there is a bunch of rookies in that league. Mixon and Sanders would be classified as rb1 in any format so to get 3 would be great but really most teams will only have 1 or 2 to begin with and would be unlikely to trade their top rb option. This is a pipe dream. Sorry to burst your bubble but no one is trading Saquon, CMC, Zeke, CEH, Kamara unless you are giving up like a third of your team.

Edited by Black_Panther
14 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

*Smack head* 

Yes sir, I missed that. Thanks. That basically invalidates everything I wrote :D

Find your comments and links pretty informative for the most part. One of the reasons I come on here before doing drafts. Much appreciated 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

*Smack head* 

Yes sir, I missed that. Thanks. That basically invalidates everything I wrote :D

Not really, by midseason, you’ll see who the top dogs are. Like any redraft team you’ll have the people with the **** picks and the unbeatable team. 

19 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Not really, by midseason, you’ll see who the top dogs are. Like any redraft team you’ll have the people with the **** picks and the unbeatable team. 

I was answering from the idea that this dynasty was already ongoing, and in such a situation at the start of each season you have to assess whether you can compete or not. 

In redraft, you can have a good or bad draft, but in a competitive league that's maybe a 5% difference and you can still make the play-offs with what looks like a meh draft; in dynasty a team can already be 30% behind at the start of the season, simply because of the history. Therefore, in Dynasty you need to assess each year: can you compete, or should you rebuild? It's very possible to have a reasonable team that will never be champion.

My assessment was that he had that reasonable team where he needs to make that tough choice; try to trade for a top piece and be in with the competitor, or rebuild for future years and collect draft picks. But as this is a startup, so the teams will be much more evenly drafted, I think that in fact he has a pretty darn good team. No need to gut your team to get a RB1; I think in a first year this team can compete.

I then also like the Waller/first round pick trade more, because @tonyg125, if you can be in a position of strength AND have multiple picks to play with (you can trade them or use them next year, up to you), that's pretty awesome.

• Like 2