NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty much what you said here. Gase sucks AND he's had Herndon in his dog house since last season. This is coach who has shown, repeatedly, that not only is he not concerned with game-planning for hi

Jet Fan here.... Chris Herndon is this years Darren Waller* [Late-Round TE who produces TE1 Numbers] (*drafted Waller as my only TE last year -- both this year)

Now that I have done all my drafts. We can start blowing this thread up. Without people paying too much attention and smatch this beast to be away from me. I am 100% stock holder baby.    Usual

Hard to say he doesn’t have what it takes at this point. TEs need a couple of years to acclimate to the NFL anyway, and unfortunately for Herndon, he lost his second year to a suspension and two injuries. I think he has a bright future, and if he can stay healthy, I believe he can do a lot for the Jets offense and for Darnold.

I’m curious to see what he looks like this year, but I won’t hold it against him if he looks uninspiring because this is essentially his second season. I’d just be looking for progression and hope for the future. 

I drafted Herndon late in one of my leagues as my second te in a deep league.  I think he's worth the gamble as I got him in the 13th round but they do also have Ryan Griffin who had some good games last year.

He is my last ranked value TE but not overly optimistic. I do think he is very talented but Gase has been averse to TE involvement quite a bit over the years. Given where he is being drafted though and likely most teams TE2 worth a shot for sure given the glimpses we have seen from him

This guy has a similar feel to me as mark Andrews last year. Superb athlete at the position and Sam darnold likes him. In their rookie seasons herndon had 500 yards receiving and 4 tds which is an enormous accomplishment for rookie tightends. The jets don’t have a whole lot of other options on the team. Bell is a check down guy, mimms is a hopeful rookie, and crowder is just an ok slot guy. They’ll be losing a lot of games as well. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

This guy has a similar feel to me as mark Andrews last year. Superb athlete at the position and Sam darnold likes him. In their rookie seasons herndon had 500 yards receiving and 4 tds which is an enormous accomplishment for rookie tightends. The jets don’t have a whole lot of other options on the team. Bell is a check down guy, mimms is a hopeful rookie, and crowder is just an ok slot guy. They’ll be losing a lot of games as well. 

After reading up on him some more and hearing that Gase specifically mentioned being excited to get him back in 2020, I may try to grab him late. The article below is kind of a fluff piece, but it’s interesting to read a couple comments from his coaches.  Now will this equal TE1 type numbers? We’ll see. It’s worth noting ghat Ryan Griffin is still there. 

You’re right about Darnold’s receiving options...not much there. And I read today that Mims injured his hammy (I believe). 
https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-te-reset-chris-herndon-more-motivated-than-ever

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 1

The Athletic's Connor Hughes reports Chris Hogan is "working exclusively with the first-team offense now."

The Jets seem to be in major trouble on offense. All training camp reports suggest TE Chris Herndon and slot WR Jamison Crowder have been the go-to targets for Sam Darnold, probably because the outside receivers are banged up. Breshad Perriman is having knee troubles and second-round rookie Denzel Mims has barely practiced and is in danger of missing Week 1 at this point. It's certainly possible that the Jets' three-receiver set "features" Crowder, Perriman, and Hogan to begin the season. This is another reminder that Herndon is likely being drafted too late in home fantasy leagues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Grabbed this guy late in a 16 Teamer last night....any chance he ends the season as a top 10 TE ? Looks like he has returned to the team from yseterday's injury. 

Jets don't have too many WR options so I figured it was worth the gamble. Hopefully this is the year. 

10 minutes ago, papaphunk said:

Grabbed this guy late in a 16 Teamer last night....any chance he ends the season as a top 10 TE ? Looks like he has returned to the team from yseterday's injury. 

Jets don't have too many WR options so I figured it was worth the gamble. Hopefully this is the year. 

I think he will. Took him in every league I'm in as a backup hoping fir the breakout. Jets should be passing alot and won't be surprised if he establishes himself as Darnold 1B to Crowder

10 minutes ago, papaphunk said:

Yeah I took the plunge in a 16 teamer, though I reached. I think he is the #1 pass receiving option for Darnold this season (with good health). He is that good and they have been building a great amount of chemistry together.

Jet Fan here....

Chris Herndon is this years Darren Waller*

[Late-Round TE who produces TE1 Numbers]

(*drafted Waller as my only TE last year -- both this year)

• Like 3

Jets fan here also, and injuries will be the only concern for Herndon. If he can stay healthy, he will easily be a top 10 TE. He has the physical tools and a rapport with D’arnold. Factor in that the rest of the Jets receiving corps is injured (and wasn’t that great to begin with) and that Sam has a habit of locking in on his favorite target and peppering him with targets, as he’s done with Enunwa, Griffin, and Crowder at different periods depending on who was healthy at the moment, and all indications look good for Herndon to break out. He goes so late in drafts, that taking him is a no brainer for me in every draft. 

Now that I have done all my drafts. We can start blowing this thread up. Without people paying too much attention and smatch this beast to be away from me. I am 100% stock holder baby. 

Usually got him really late, he went almost undrafted in Yahoo Pro Leagues. And I think that is insane value. Granted, there is a greater chance that he will suck a big one and do a 2019 OJ Howard impression. But I actually believe in his QB and think they can grow together. 

72/719/5 is the projection of Higbee, that is good enough for TE7. 

I can honestly see CH achieving those numbers and go on paper and say he will exceeding those yardages. So top 5 might be crazy talk, but TE7 numbers would be great for someone that is probably go undrafted in 10T 1TE leagues. 

Leggooooooooooo. 

• Like 3

I want to believe.  But I can't go into the season with just Herndon on my bench.  Hate carrying two TEs, but with all of these "high upside" guys, will have to until somebody blows up.  Herndon could very well do that.  Or he could just get injured again...

I just picked him up off ww and dropped Gesicki in my yahoo pro league.  I believe Herndon is the number 2 target 🎯 in this offense and number 1 red zone target 🎯.  
I get why people are doubting him but let’s me real the only risk is his health and that’s it, too much upside to pass up imo 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Brye said:

I just picked him up off ww and dropped Gesicki in my yahoo pro league.  I believe Herndon is the number 2 target 🎯 in this offense and number 1 red zone target 🎯.  
I get why people are doubting him but let’s me real the only risk is his health and that’s it, too much upside to pass up imo 

I like Gesicki better. But, you could be right.