NBC Sports Edge Forums

Russell Wilson 2020 Outlook

8 minutes ago, Ergogh said:

I'm nervous about starting him next week in the finals smh. Why, Russ! Rams looked like doodoo today but Russ hasn't looked like himself since he tried to trademark "Let Russ Cook." What y'all think about next week's matchup?

Man he might be a QB2 next week. Rams are going to play angry after being embarrassed by the Jets today.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

look at some of the QBs WFT played this season: daniel jones (twice), andy dalton (twice), joe burrow, and nick mullens. tbh those qb's are pretty sorry lol (burrows got a bright future tho), so WFT's

Edit: holy crap, I seem to have typed most of that post with my forehead. Time for a coffee.

Hurts with that O line over Russel Wilson y'all are insane. Russ is a good QB. We all know this. He has these rough patches every year. It will not last.

Posted Images

Because of a discussion in the DK Metcalf thread I decided to look into what's wrong with Wilson (if anything).

First of all, the number of passa ttempts, his completion% and his QB rating is relatively stable over the season. The yards and TDs howebver are clearly going down. This appears mostly due to throwing less deep:

image.png.dbd2f46f5614980634c9b50bce9932e3.png

Both average yards and especially abverage air yards is down quite a bit (sorry, I don't have the numbers for week 15 but I suspect they are in line.

Another question in that thread was whether the O-line is crap. If you take the number of sacks as an indication of the pressure, then it's probably interesting that Wilson's 41 (untiol week 14) sacks are in the top of the league (highest are the Eagles with 53, lowest the Steelers with 11). On the other hand, that number is more or less in line with the previous years, so I'm not sure if that's such a big difference. O the third hand, Wilson seems this year on target for around 95-100 rushes, which is higher than the past years.

So it appears to me that Wilson throws less deep, and takes off faster for a run. Looking the game against Washington, he didn't seem to take off under heavy pressure, if anything it seems he takes a quick look and then takes off if there's nobody close.

@Gohawks, does that make sense?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

Because of a discussion in the DK Metcalf thread I decided to look into what's wrong with Wilson (if anything).

First of all, the number of passa ttempts, his completion% and his QB rating is relatively stable over the season. The yards and TDs howebver are clearly going down. This appears mostly due to throwing less deep:

image.png.dbd2f46f5614980634c9b50bce9932e3.png

Both average yards and especially abverage air yards is down quite a bit (sorry, I don't have the numbers for week 15 but I suspect they are in line.

Another question in that thread was whether the O-line is crap. If you take the number of sacks as an indication of the pressure, then it's probably interesting that Wilson's 41 (untiol week 14) sacks are in the top of the league (highest are the Eagles with 53, lowest the Steelers with 11). On the other hand, that number is more or less in line with the previous years, so I'm not sure if that's such a big difference. O the third hand, Wilson seems this year on target for around 95-100 rushes, which is higher than the past years.

So it appears to me that Wilson throws less deep, and takes off faster for a run. Looking the game against Washington, he didn't seem to take off under heavy pressure, if anything it seems he takes a quick look and then takes off if there's nobody close.@Gohawks, does that make sense?

Yes. Couple things:

First, the line. The offensive line isn’t bad. It’s just not. Brown is still damn good, Lewis has been an under the radar draft steal, and all the surrounding pieces are serviceable. There was a few week stretch where it was rough due to injuries but they’ve been decent almost all year and are decent now. Wilson is 36th(!) in the NFL in time to throw (amount of time it takes to get rid of the ball from snap). In other words, he holds onto the ball too damn long. Also the fact that he’s all the way 36th should be an indication he’s actually getting some time. I lost count how much times he’s gotten sacked from being indecisive.

As for the chart, it’s been clear for a few games now. He went from looking like an MVP to looking like Wentz with horrible decisions and forcing the ball. Now it’s like he is going the opposite way and looks like Bridgewater dumping it off 20 times a game and having everyone be a slant boy. Takes like 1-2 shots all game and that’s it.

I love Wilson but this makes no sense. If he’s in his own head or the coaching staff is lost I have no idea. Something is damn wrong because this is the first time I’ve seen Wilson seem like he has zero identity. In terms of fantasy over his last 6 games he has over 250 yards once and double digit TDs twice. Might be streaming options that are better...

• Thanks 2

He got rocked a few weeks back. I thought for sure he was concussed. He was walking on water before the hit. He seems like a boxer that took a hard uppercut, in round 7, and is just trying to get through the fight without anyone thinking his cage has been rattled.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, bluntbros said:

He got rocked a few weeks back. I thought for sure he was concussed. He was walking on water before the hit. He seems like a boxer that took a hard uppercut, in round 7, and is just trying to get through the fight without anyone thinking his cage has been rattled.

Do you remember which game?

Edit: I googled a bit and I saw a couple brutal hits against the 49ers.

Edited by Boudewijn
4 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

First Cardinals game he got rocked and looked concussed and since then he’s been pretty bad.

That being said blaming a game 2 months ago for why he is playing bad seems like a stretch.

We all saw it coming. Feel like Russ has been riding on the incredible start to his season all year.

You cannot trust him in Week 16 against the Rams pass rush. You are better off streaming off of waivers.

Edited by MingusDew
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Edit: I googled a bit and I saw a couple brutal hits against the 49ers.

I do not remember the opponent. I saw it live on RedZone and immediately started searching for an alternative...just in case.

Not much faith in Russ here guys. He will be looking to avenge a poor showing against the Rams earlier this season. [...] there are no better options on a really thin waiver wire. Divisional matchup with something to prove. I think he steps up big time.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
12 hours ago, Hank Thunderbolt said:

Not much faith in Russ here guys. He will be looking to avenge a poor showing against the Rams earlier this season. [...] there are no better options on a really thin waiver wire. Divisional matchup with something to prove. I think he steps up big time.

Your funeral man. He's going to put up 10-15 points again.

35 minutes ago, MingusDew said:

Your funeral man. He's going to put up 10-15 points again.

As much as I like your username MingusDew, I disagree. This game is to basically win the division and Russ did not have a good game earlier in the season. He will show up on Sunday.

See you back here after the game either way.

4 minutes ago, Hank Thunderbolt said:

As much as I like your username MingusDew, I disagree. This game is to basically win the division and Russ did not have a good game earlier in the season. He will show up on Sunday.

Aaron Donald and gang want to win the division too, although you couldn't tell against the Jets.  LOL  They are going to be one fired up, angry bunch.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Fat Clemenza said:

Aaron Donald and gang want to win the division too, although you couldn't tell against the Jets.  LOL  They are going to be one fired up, angry bunch.

Shouldn't PIT have been fired up the past two weeks by that logic too?

22 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

Shouldn't PIT have been fired up the past two weeks by that logic too?

I was thinking this same thing -- PIT is simply imploding at the wrong time. Maybe the same is true for the Rams. You can't just shake off that humiliating Jets defeat as a bunch of fluky broken plays. The Rams legit looked like they didn't know how to play football on either side of the ball for all four quarters.

Maybe Russell proves the haters wrong with a ceiling game.

6 hours ago, eg4190 said:

I was thinking this same thing -- PIT is simply imploding at the wrong time. Maybe the same is true for the Rams.

I think the Steelers were quite meh and lucky to be 11-0. The Rams on the other hand get better every week.

21 hours ago, Hank Thunderbolt said:

They can still win while Russ underperforms for fantasy. I fully expect that.