NBC Sports Edge Forums

Casey Mize 2020 Outlook

How does everyone think Mize ranks in relation to other young starters like Pearson and Luzardo? Which one would you rather have rest of season in a redraft? And which one would you rather own in a dynasty / keeper?

Mize would be 3rd on this list for me...

Skubal might even be better tbh...

Mize was the draft pick but Skubal has performed

Pearson has been Jekyll n Hyde but his stuff is nastiest

Luzardo, if he could stay on the bump ever, could be 1...

• Like 1

Mize has a bit more injury concerns than other prospect arms but that is just the nature of pitchers. Will be watching his start closely as a dynasty owner but not expecting him to be amazing.

Edited by supac720
7 minutes ago, dfstout said:

Mize would be 3rd on this list for me...

Skubal might even be better tbh...

Mize was the draft pick but Skubal has performed

Pearson has been Jekyll n Hyde but his stuff is nastiest

Luzardo, if he could stay on the bump ever, could be 1...

So in a redraft the Tiger guys are probably behind guys like Pearson and McCullers ROS? Just trying to figure out where to slot them in my rankings. 

Like the makeup of Mize. Low walk rates. Skubal has the higher K rate but has started even fewer games than Mize at Double-A. They’ve both performed. Mize had a no-hitter in his Double-A debut and was pretty solid. 

20 minutes ago, ryno1980 said:

Like the makeup of Mize. Low walk rates. Skubal has the higher K rate but has started even fewer games than Mize at Double-A. They’ve both performed. Mize had a no-hitter in his Double-A debut and was pretty solid. 

My point was lately Mize has underwhelmed where Skubal has stayed consistent...here's hoping they both succeed...

• Like 1
8 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

How does everyone think Mize ranks in relation to other young starters like Pearson and Luzardo? Which one would you rather have rest of season in a redraft? And which one would you rather own in a dynasty / keeper?

I would rack mize and tarek ahead of McCullers and Pearson for redraft and dynasty but not luzardo for regraft

He was lights out, most dominant pitcher at any level by a country mile then hurt — minor shoulder inflammation. MRI didn’t turn anything up, but after a few weeks rest he came back with diminished stuff, diminished command and got knocked around some. High ceiling, medium risk contingent on health. (How is he not a Met?)

9 hours ago, C_McGillicuddy said:

He was lights out, most dominant pitcher at any level by a country mile then hurt — minor shoulder inflammation. MRI didn’t turn anything up, but after a few weeks rest he came back with diminished stuff, diminished command and got knocked around some. High ceiling, medium risk contingent on health. (How is he not a Met?)

Definitely fits the MO!

You guys rolling him out against CHW or going to wait and see for his first start ?

After Skubal getting raked, I'm sure a lot of may be less enthusiastic about rolling Mize out. Maybe it's just me heh, curious for anyone of you who added if your starting tonight. 

4 minutes ago, tonywow said:

You guys rolling him out against CHW or going to wait and see for his first start ?

After Skubal getting raked, I'm sure a lot of may be less enthusiastic about rolling Mize out. Maybe it's just me heh, curious for anyone of you who added if your starting tonight. 

Definitely a "look see" for me.  Can't imagine he'd go more than 4, maybe 5.   Will likely take a few starts to get stretched out, without the w or qs, it's too risky.  

• Like 1

The velo was a little spotty, but first start adrenaline does that.

I think you have to go after him in all QS leagues next year. Leash will be off and I think 10.5+ K/9 and <2 BB/9 is a real possibility with his split and excellent command.

Look at how insane this pitch is. Flutters up there looking like a hanger and then drops to the center of the earth. It's unhittable, and until the last inning he was locating it where he wanted:

1 hour ago, tonywow said:

Who's starting vs CHC ?

Me. My ratios have nowhere to go but up, and the Cubs have been striking out at a ridiculous pace against righties for awhile now. 

It's not a perfect matchup, but I know I'd just be annoyed if he pitched a great game on my bench. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Macgregor said:

How long do you expect it will take to build him up?

He threw in the mid 70s his first game, correct?

I think he ran into trouble last start before being limited by a pitch count.  Im certainly not the authority on this,and its hard to say with no minors,etc...but after tonight is treat him like any other starter.

16 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

70+ pitches through 3 innings is #notgood. 

Mize is droppable is shallow non keeper leagues. This isn't the season to wait for greatness. There just isn't enough time. 

Another top prospect rookie SP bites the dust. We all know better, but it’s hard to resist these shiny new objects.  So far, only Jesus Luzardo and Dustin May have been safe.  Dobnak and his 4.75 K/9 & sub 2.00 ERA is cute, I suppose.  Perhaps I’m forgetting someone.  Maybe Sixto will come through.  

Edited by Tommy Lee Jones
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Another top prospect rookie SP bites the dust. We all know better, but it’s hard to resist these shiny new objects.  So far, only Jesus Luzardo and Dustin May have been safe.  Dobnak and his 4.75 K/9 & sub 2.00 ERA is cute, I suppose.  Perhaps I’m forgetting someone.  Maybe Sixto will come through.  

Put some respect on Triston McKenzie's name.

• Like 1