NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Luis Garcia 2020 Outlook

machine3

He has never hit the ball as hard as Soto, for sure, and didn't draw walks in the minors like Soto. He has managed to put up good strikeout numbers while being young for every level he's been through and plays a premium position. The hope has always been that he develops power as he gets older. It's too early to tell if he's made progress there, but if he does, his stock is going to shoot up.

• Like 1

He’s going to have to learn to leave the high stuff alone! He got lucky with a bloop S ingle off of one last night and then struck out on one that he couldn’t check his swing on. Pitchers will and probably already have picked up on that! I’m excited to see what the young man can do though!

• Like 1

Read a Rotowire blurb talking about how he filled out in the offseason, and he spent time working on generating more force from his lower half. 

Apparently he’s also close with Soto, and trying to emulate Soto’s approach at the plate. 

Not really concrete evidence that he will be a fantasy factor, but it’s definitely intriguing 

• Like 2

He's basically a lottery ticket. Not sure anything in his profile really stands out fantasy wise. He's not a big speed guy. He's not a big power guy. He's unlikely to rack up big counting stats. He hasn't even walked much. And his minor league numbers suck. But...he was 18 and started the year in AA. And while he really sucked in the first half, he got better. And he he should continue to get better. Many players his age were in high school last year. So there's potential for development and a big leap forward. It probably won't happen this year, but it is interesting to watch.

He is a strong defender, so that should earn him at bats right there.

Edited by Jericho
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jericho said:

He's basically a lottery ticket. Not sure anything in his profile really stands out fantasy wise. He's not a big speed guy. He's not a big power guy. He's unlikely to rack up big counting stats. He hasn't even walked much. And his minor league numbers suck. But...he was 18 and started the year in AA. And while he really sucked in the first half, he got better. And he he should continue to get better. Many players his age were in high school last year. So there's potential for development and a big leap forward. It probably won't happen this year, but it is interesting to watch.

He is a strong defender, so that should earn him at bats right there.

I was asking myself, who is this guy? Thanks. 

Yeah, I picked up this guy in a league before last season for my farm team and was pretty disappointed with his overall numbers.  I have to keep reminding myself though that he's roughly 2-3 years younger than his competition and most players don't come out blazing like Soto or Luis Robert.  Truth be told, I'm not sure what to expect out of the kid I just know he was considered a potential prospect that could leap up the list but he fell short last season.  Doesn't mean he doesn't have a bright future though.  He's off to a great start and there's worse people to imitate than Soto.  One of the sites I use to research prospects had a prime projection of roughly 20 HR and 10 SB with a decent average (around .280).  If he makes that happen I could see him having good value, but that's likely a couple years down the road.