NBC Sports Edge Forums

Duke Johnson 2020 Outlook

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Duke Johnson thread is the exact same, every single year, no matter what. "Not just a handcuff!" "He's not just a CoP!" "He's the best back on the team." "That guy they signed

Drop him before the game and save yourself the headache. 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, pdog109 said:

Right. After the injury. After he got hurt. If he didn't get hurt and possibly produced at least 10 PPR points no one would be in here with the same old tired RW i told you so narrative. The maturity level of some RW posters is at the Kindergarten level, quick to post the I told you so because I know everything about fantasy football and you don't jack attitude is so persuasive, its disgusting.

Yes after the injury. He was definitely worthy of a roster spot beforehand. But you gotta adapt and retune your roster based on injuries. Fantasy is all about working the waivers to your advantage.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

Yes after the injury. He was definitely worthy of a roster spot beforehand. But you gotta adapt and retune your roster based on injuries. Fantasy is all about working the waivers to your advantage.

100% agree with you. But maybe I'm just a tad bit stinged that people personally attacked me here in the Duke thread and in the game thread for his failings when he got hurt and the "i told you so" brigade came out in full force to beat their chests. Its really sad they have to attack people in game threads and player threads to make themselves feel better.

Edited by pdog109
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, pdog109 said:

He was on the field in the game though and would have definitely gotten some garbage time points had he not gotten hurt. That's the point. Garbage time points are still points. That's precisely why i started him in the first place. If they had been playing another team i probably wouldn't have started him but considering KC blew them out he would have been in line for garbage time points.

Wtf makes you think this is true? David Johnson is both a better pass catcher and a better pass blocker than Duke. Why in the world would Duke get any more action when they are in catch up garbage time mode? That's exactly when David Johnson is playing at his own strength! Have you never watched David Johnson play before? 

You're also completely ignoring how useless Duke was when he did get touches earlier in the game? He was awful! What, you think just because its the end of the game, he would magically be better? 

Sorry but the decision to start Duke was a bad one no matter how you look at it, and honestly your rationale just sounds like you made up an excuse after the fact, because your thinking  doesn't logically work.

• Thanks 1

You must have not been logically thinking to start a player that sprained his ankle during the game, you should have predicted it.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Duke Johnson has a sprained ankle.

Advice: Johnson was active in the first quarter with Houston utilizing two-back sets, but he exited with his ankle injury and never returned. Schefter reports that Duke Johnson is already "questionable" for Week 2 in two weekends. We'll see how much he practices, but for now, it seems like David Johnson could be in a three-down role for the next game. That would make him a solid RB2.

More: Adam Schefter on Twitter

(Rotoworld.com)

is he a HOLD? (assuming its a deep 12 team league) 

he is probably missing 2 weeks or so? is the injury a high ankle sprain? 

update- day to day with a chance to suit up this week? it's unlikely but sounds close to returning week 3?

Rotowire-Coach Bill O'Brien called Johnson (ankle) day-to-day Monday, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports. Analysis: Johnson was dubbed week-to-week over the weekend, and Ian Rapoport of NFL Network previously reported that he's unlikely to play in Week 2, but O'Brien's comments now seem to indicate that Johnson has a chance to suit up against the Ravens on Sunday. Count on Wednesday's first practice report of the week to provide more concrete information regarding Johnson's health. Buddy Howell is the favorite to slot in as David Johnson's top backup if the 27-year-old Duke is forced to miss any time.

Edited by dannyz6969
3 minutes ago, dannyz6969 said:

I only have a share (also a 12 team PPR league) and I am def dropping to grab something more valuable.

I thought the other DJ was near washed--but it sure didn't look like that on Thurs.

5 hours ago, dannyz6969 said:

update- day to day with a chance to suit up this week? it's unlikely but sounds close to returning week 3?

Rotowire-Coach Bill O'Brien called Johnson (ankle) day-to-day Monday, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports. Analysis: Johnson was dubbed week-to-week over the weekend, and Ian Rapoport of NFL Network previously reported that he's unlikely to play in Week 2, but O'Brien's comments now seem to indicate that Johnson has a chance to suit up against the Ravens on Sunday. Count on Wednesday's first practice report of the week to provide more concrete information regarding Johnson's health. Buddy Howell is the favorite to slot in as David Johnson's top backup if the 27-year-old Duke is forced to miss any time.

There are likely better RBs sitting in your wavier wire. History is against duke atm and you could miss out on good RB/WR wavier gems early in the season. 

I would not hold in a deep 12 teamer. You gotta be able to cut these types of guys (duke, Chris Thompson, breida) fast as all the good pickups are usually gone by week 2/3. Holding on to these types of guys is how you miss out on good players and get stuck wasting a bench spot all season

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

I would not hold in a deep 12 teamer. You gotta be able to cut these types of guys (duke, Chris Thompson, breida) fast as all the good pickups are usually gone by week 2/3. Holding on to these types of guys is how you miss out on good players and get stuck wasting a bench spot all season

I agree. Plus he's injured so I doubt anyone is in a rush to pick him up right now lol

In general I look to the following simple strategy for dropping someone:

1) If I keep him, will he help my roster?

2) If I drop him, will he help anyone else's roster?

If the answer is a clear & resounding no to both questions, then drop away 😂

Edited by WaiverLooter
  • Like 1

Like duke as a player, think hes always been under utilized but if DJ goes down again this year, I'd expect a trade or a FA signing - He'd see an uptick in usage and bring his floor up a bit, but is he bench worthy (while hurt too) for some other options on the waiver? Likely no one picks him up after you drop him this week 

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Moveless said:

Back this week. Anyone buying?

It'd have to be a pretty deep league. Watson doesn't check down too much, and David's still gonna get 75% of the snaps. 

Duke only has relevance in deep leagues or if David goes down, then you'd have a low-end RB2. 

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, ZMan17 said:

What's everyone thinking with picking him up for next week with David Johnson probably out? He worth using a high WW spot on in 1/2pt PPR?

I think he'd be a great play if DJ is for sure out. I'm going to wait and see if DJ practices and hope that no one in my league is savvy enough to jump on it early. 

29 minutes ago, TroutFister said:

concussions are tough, DJ can definitely play this week and make your bid for duke useless. 

It can really go any way.  Allen Robinson just had one and made it through the protocol without missing a game.  Then you have those players who take weeks and weeks bc they keep having symptoms.

I think it's most prudent to assume DJ is out this week and back next week.  So you're bidding on a spot starter.  I mean, if you own David and now you're fielding a bagel bc of byes and what not, and your game is a must win, then unfortunately you have to make sure you get him.  Obviously if you have other options that are as good, then I wouldn't even bother making a bid.

Edited by kp96