NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chase Edmonds 2020 Outlook

1 minute ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

Soooo 27 carries 127yds and 3TDs isn’t excelling when given the opportunity? I’m not “claiming” he excelled lol He literally excelled when given the opportunity. It’s on you to prove to me that when given 20 plus carries he cannot excell

He got 20+ carries 1 time on his career and fell apart the very next game.

I'm not here to convince you of anything. Only to hit you with a little knowledge. 

Whether Edmonds can come in 1 game for an injured starter and put up 3 TDs on 27 touches and asking him to carry the load for a full season as the starting RB are 2 different things to me, especially when he was hurt right after his big workload game and his next highest rushing attempts before that was 8 in a game 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What the hell is going on this year?  Drake owners are asking if they should be "wasting" a bench spot on Edmonds?  Really? One of the biggest parts of fantasy are owning the game changing handcu

That one lb of muscle makes all the difference.

... i like what you're cooking up here - seems to be crystal clear - Edmonds 'bout to explode ...    

2 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

He got 20+ carries 1 time on his career and fell apart the very next game.

I'm not here to convince you of anything. Only to hit you with a little knowledge. 

Whether Edmonds can come in 1 game for an injured starter and put up 3 TDs on 27 touches and asking him to carry the load for a full season as the starting RB are 2 different things to me, especially when he was hurt right after his big workload game and his next highest rushing attempts before that was 8 in a game 

So random injuries dictate whether a RB can be a lead dog or not... got it. what a knowledge bomb thank you. I’m going to go drop Saquon in my dynasty now

Edited by BxBOMBERs28
  • Like 3

Sometimes I agree with him, sometimes (although less often, probably) I disagree with him, and very often I troll him, but what @DerrickHenrysCleats is saying is probably very close to how the Arizona organization thinks about Edmonds's potential to be a lead back.  (Which is to say, they don't think much of that potential.)  I said something similar a page or so back.

If I was the GM of the Cardinals, I wouldn't have re-signed Drake and would've rolled with Edmonds as my #1 and possibly signed a journeyman "thumper" to mix in behind him.  If I were the coach, I'd try to give Edmonds more carries than he's getting and possibly be the lead back.  But arguing over stuff like that is angels-on-the-head-of-a-pin.  What helps us for fantasy is trying to evaluate how the player will be used, not how he "should" be used.  The former is a key part of fantasy football; the latter is like football LARPing, a sort of low-tech version of Madden Franchise Mode.  (If I ran the Bears I'd throw to Tarik Cohen 6-10 times a game too when he's healthy - it doesn't happen.)  And I think Cleats is hitting the nail right on the head here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
9 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Sometimes I agree with him, sometimes (although less often, probably) I disagree with him, and very often I troll him, but what @DerrickHenrysCleats is saying is probably very close to how the Arizona organization thinks about Edmonds's potential to be a lead back.  (Which is to say, they don't think much of that potential.)  I said something similar a page or so back.

If I was the GM of the Cardinals, I wouldn't have re-signed Drake and would've rolled with Edmonds as my #1 and possibly signed a journeyman "thumper" to mix in behind him.  If I were the coach, I'd try to give Edmonds more carries than he's getting and possibly be the lead back.  But arguing over stuff like that is angels-on-the-head-of-a-pin.  What helps us for fantasy is trying to evaluate how the player will be used, not how he "should" be used.  The former is a key part of fantasy football; the latter is like football LARPing, a sort of low-tech version of Madden Franchise Mode.  (If I ran the Bears I'd throw to Tarik Cohen 6-10 times a game too when he's healthy - it doesn't happen.)  And I think Cleats is hitting the nail right on the head here.

This I can agree with. Im not saying Chase is taking over for Drake this year. I’m also not even saying he will definitely be the lead back next year if/when drake leaves. I assumed we were debating about the capabilities of the player in Edmonds who I believe can be a lead back and IF the Cards give him that opportunity again he will show it. I’m not going to pretend I know what the Arizona office thinks but I know what I think about the player. If anybody disagrees about what he’s capable of athletically that’s fair but saying you know Edmonds definitely can’t handle a lead role... I’d need evidence of that since we already have evidence that he can. Ekeler also was seem in this exact same way by people and look at him now 

Edited by BxBOMBERs28
24 minutes ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

This I can agree with. Im not saying Chase is taking over for Drake this year. I’m also not even saying he will definitely be the lead back next year if/when drake leaves. I assumed we were debating about the capabilities of the player in Edmonds who I believe can be a lead back and IF the Cards give him that opportunity again he will show it. I’m not going to pretend I know what the Arizona office thinks but I know what I think about the player. If anybody disagrees about what he’s capable of athletically that’s fair but saying you know Edmonds definitely can’t handle a lead role... I’d need evidence of that since we already have evidence that he can. Ekeler also was seem in this exact same way by people and look at him now 

The evidence you are looking for came in the game after the game he excelled in that role. The game where he was expected excel again but was injured after 3 carries and was a non factor the rest of the season.

I think he is an explosive athlete that right now is making good plays on limited touches, pretty much exactly what the coaches want.

If it came to Drake getting hurt then Eno Benjamin would help lighten Chase's load so he doesn't get hurt.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
12 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

The evidence you are looking for came in the game after the game he excelled in that role. The game where he was expected excel again but was injured after 3 carries and was a non factor the rest of the season.

I think he is an explosive athlete that right now is making good plays on limited touches, pretty much exactly what the coaches want.

If it came to Drake getting hurt then Eno Benjamin would help lighten Chase's load so he doesn't get hurt.

One injury as evidence just isn’t enough for me to think he can’t do it. You say it’s an injury due to him showing he can’t handle the load.. I say it’s the NFL and players just get injured and it happened to occur at a horrible time for Edmonds. 

Edited by BxBOMBERs28
1 minute ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

One injury as evidence just isn’t enough for me to think he can’t do it. You say it’s an injury due to him showing he can’t handle the load.. I say it’s the NFL and players just get injured and it happened to occur at a horrible time for Edmonds. 

I guess we will have to let the useage tell the tale then.

• Like 1

Unsure if Chase can handle a full load or what the motivations are for running Drake so much despite his poor performances.  I do believe Chase is the better fantasy asset in this backfield.  He's especially more productive in ppr.  There's still value with both guys, but not the kind of value I want.  I'm looking to move Chase as barring an injury, I don't believe they'll outright bench Drake.  This will leave both backs splitting fantasy production.  If I had to choose one though, I would choose Chase.  However Chase just keeps you on a train hoping next week will be the game they finally bench Drake.  And that train may never have a stop.  lol   

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, jimithing11 said:

As someone who owned Johnson last year, Drake looks cooked to me. Doesn’t look the same as last year. 

I just want to point out that Drake looked much better on the drive where he got the TD. He started going north/south more instead of the hesitant, indecisive approach we've seen. 

I would not underestimate Drake - said here before I want him on my team as an Edmonds owner. All he needs is a spark to really get going - last year of course it was the trade, but we've seen it before. 

I think Edmonds has earned more of a consistent share of the carries and we just saw an example of that Sunday - I actually started him in a matchup and largely thanks to him I'm still alive. I don't see an imminent change of guard though - like you I think it would take an injury. Edmonds needs to continue his efficient play - no fumbling most importantly.

• Like 1

ChaseSZN is upon us! 

"He's got real juice, and we've got to continue to find ways to get him the ball," Kingsbury said. "There are a lot of playmakers, and he's one that can make things happen."

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/chase-edmonds-pushes-for-more-stake-in-cardinals-offense

Edited by kdpat15
  • Like 1

Kliff Kingsbury is a "hot hand" coach and is willing to promote/demote backs based on performance if it means winning. Just look back one year to see what may happen. 

It's looking like Kenyon Drake 2020 = David Johnson 2019, while Chase Edmonds 2020 = Kenyon Drake 2019.

Only difference is David Johnson got benched after he returned from injury.  Drake seems to be healthy.  Not sure if it'll take a Drake injury for Edmonds to assume lead role or whether he can take over on performance alone.  Hoping it's the latter. 

“I wouldn’t use the term ‘benched,’” he told reporters Monday.

He said it was more about what Kenyan Drake was doing. He was the “hot hand.”

“We’re going to play the guy that we feel like gives us the best chance at that time,” he continued. “Game plans change, and roles will change. David is a part of this offense, and we have to find a way to make sure he’s playing at a high level, and we can get him the football.”

That said, his role has certainly changed. Rather being the focal part of the offense, he is now just a piece.

“David’s a very good football player, and we’ll try to put him in positions to be successful based upon the game plan week to week,” Kingsbury said.

Call it what you want — being benched, getting a more focused role in the offense or a committee of running backs — in the end, it is a demotion.

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/20/david-johnson-benched-kliff-kingsbury/

• Like 1
22 hours ago, kdpat15 said:

ChaseSZN is upon us! 

"He's got real juice, and we've got to continue to find ways to get him the ball," Kingsbury said. "There are a lot of playmakers, and he's one that can make things happen."

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/chase-edmonds-pushes-for-more-stake-in-cardinals-offense

yawn...more coachspeak...shaky flex unless drake gets hurt or officially gets benched

1 minute ago, kdpat15 said:

how do we feel about Chase this week? seems like people are still on board the Drake train and not buying the Chase hype.

the Cowboys putrid defense shoveled coal into the hype train that is Davonta Freemason. 

fire. Edmonds. up. 

'nufced. 

Edited by pastorofmuppets2
  • Like 1

I don't think I can start him, but I wouldn't feel too bad about it if byes / injuries made that necessary. My only concern with DAL is that they could move to more of a ball-control offense, leaning more on Zeke, which might limit TOP for ARI.