NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jerick McKinnon 2020 Outlook

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well, not so much "scared" as he is predisposed to major complications due to his sickle cell anemia ... just like how Ryan Clark could never travel to Denver.  so, yeah ... "scared" is a bad cho

Jerrick McKinnon has to go load to load when the defense loads up on him he's gotta load up on them and also load up on the metlife turf while he has to bring a bigger load.  

Faulty load?  Nonsense.

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, TheBoondocks said:

How confident are you guys with starting him this week? I like the matchup but this situation is a mess lol

Not at all.  I'm doing it because I have 5 guys on bye this week and there's a chance he really did just need a week of low volume to recover and will return right to the lions share of carries with all the injuries. But there's also a very good chance he's behind Hasty (and maybe Coleman?) because of nagging injuries and won't be relied on with significant volume going forward. Honestly I could see 20 combined carries/receptions or 3 and neither would totally surprise me.

If I had a decent replacement I would definitely be taking the wait and see route.  

On 10/27/2020 at 9:54 AM, Fried Pork Grind said:

69 touches coming off two seasons off and in arguably the deepest backfield system in the league. I think with his situation you need to be patient and if you can't then he's not the right back for you. 

He gave you negative points last week when he was supposed to start bc the coach wanted to be tricky and even after Wilson (who just came off calf injury) got hurt he barely got touches. This is after putting up numbers when mostert got hurt the first time. We don't have weeks to spare to try and guess what shanny is going to do and with Coleman coming back soon and Hasty getting work it's a poor situation. He isn't the right back for most who actually want their RBs to start over rookies and Jags and have the trust of their coach

42 minutes ago, zert2 said:

I'm starting if Coleman doesn't come back this week. The Niners only have McKinnon and Hasty.

Honestly if Coleman is healthy I think it will eat away at Hasty a lot more than McKinnon. They said they were resting McKinnon last week. You don't rest someone so they can just rest again and again. You rest them to play.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Moveless said:

Honestly if Coleman is healthy I think it will eat away at Hasty a lot more than McKinnon. They said they were resting McKinnon last week. You don't rest someone so they can just rest again and again. You rest them to play.

that’s coach speak for “McKinnon sucks”

• Like 3

I think Coleman coming back makes Hasty the one to worry more about losing out on touches. I think those two are fighting for a lot of carries on the ground, and they will use McKinnon for their pass catching option regardless. Given them likely to be playing behind against Seattle, I actually feel the most confident about McKinnon this week of the trio...but take that with a grain of salt because my confidence level on any of these guys isn't very high. But with this matchup I would choose McKinnon if I was forced to play a SF RB this week.

• Haha 1

Owning McKinnon has been incredibly unlucky.  Think about it.  Could have dropped this guy a long time ago except for circumstances.  Moestert gets hurt and he has his chance.  Does ok.  Then Moestert comes back but we don't drop him cause we don't know how it gets played out.  Turned out that he got no run BUT Moestert hurt again so you have to hold McKinnon.  Then just when it looked like McKinnon would get run with Wilson also hurt, Wilson magically comes off the injured list and handles ALL of the snaps, McKinnon totally worthless.  BUT Wilson gets hurt so we still can't drop McKinnon.  This week were thinking that maybe, just maybe McKinnon will get run without anybody else available except the RB from the practice squad.  BUT NO.  Here comes Coleman in the nick of time to come off injured reserve.  Unreal man.  But we still can't drop McKinnon just yet cause were not totally sure Coleman plays and if he does gets a full allotment of the snaps.  Uggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
1 minute ago, Islanderman said:

Owning McKinnon has been incredibly unlucky.  Think about it.  Could have dropped this guy a long time ago except for circumstances.  Moestert gets hurt and he has his chance.  Does ok.  Then Moestert comes back but we don't drop him cause we don't know how it gets played out.  Turned out that he got no run BUT Moestert hurt again so you have to hold McKinnon.  Then just when it looked like McKinnon would get run with Wilson also hurt, Wilson magically comes off the injured list and handles ALL of the snaps, McKinnon totally worthless.  BUT Wilson gets hurt so we still can't drop McKinnon.  This week were thinking that maybe, just maybe McKinnon will get run without anybody else available except the RB from the practice squad.  BUT NO.  Here comes Coleman in the nick of time to come off injured reserve.  Unreal man.  But we still can't drop McKinnon just yet cause were not totally sure Coleman plays and if he does gets a full allotment of the snaps.  Uggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.

Kyle-Yells-Shenanigans-On-South-Park-rea

• Like 1

Let's be honest. There's more here than we know right? I honestly think coaching staff just doesn't trust him. He could've easily played last week due to Mostert injury, and even then when Wilson went down. Something's up between the coaches and McKinnon. That rest BS is just an excuse and cover up to something deeper. 

1 hour ago, Islanderman said:

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, Islanderman said:

i agree.  Wonder if there is an injury or some kind of doghouse thing.

I remember when everyone on here was super confident James Conner was in the doghouse when he had an ankle injury in game 1. People get way into these conspiracy theories in fantasy football. 

• Like 1

I'm starting him because I have no choice [...] I (choose to) buy into the rest explanation of last week's disaster, and expect him to get the start.  But I think Shanahan will roll with the hot hand, so if Hasty breaks out a few runs I can see them keeping him in there. 

I was actually going to start both McKinnon and Hasty, hoping at least one would not be a flop, before the news broke that I could get another decent week out of Williams with Jones likely being out. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed assistant coach content
6 minutes ago, ColKurtz said:

I'm starting him because I have no choice [...] I (choose to) buy into the rest explanation of last week's disaster, and expect him to get the start.  But I think Shanahan will roll with the hot hand, so if Hasty breaks out a few runs I can see them keeping him in there. 

I was actually going to start both McKinnon and Hasty, hoping at least one would not be a flop, before the news broke that I could get another decent week out of Williams with Jones likely being out. 

The horror...the horror.

Trying to decipher this backfield is a nightmare of Conradian proportions.

It's like some kind of apocolypse, now.

Is Shanahan going to send us all on a mission to the heart of darkness to find out who the most productive 49er running back will be?

• Haha 1

I'm not starting any of this mess this week - eff it. Never thought I'd be saying "thank God for Gaskin" but that's my story - sticking to it. 

I'd be somewhat intrigued if Coleman needs to wait another week - but even then it's a game of eenie-meenie-minie-mo.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Moveless said:

I remember when everyone on here was super confident James Conner was in the doghouse when he had an ankle injury in game 1. People get way into these conspiracy theories in fantasy football. 

You clearly didn't watch that game. Conner barked at the staff.  Didn't play the rest of the game, then he practices in full all week into week 2.  Hard to believe the injury was that bad to keep him out if he was practicing right away.  There was something going on.  The staff said they would, "leave the light on for him" which is a pretty noncommittal get well soon.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Sternes said:

You clearly didn't watch that game. Conner barked at the staff.  Didn't play the rest of the game, then he practices in full all week into week 2.  Hard to believe the injury was that bad to keep him out if he was practicing right away.  There was something going on.  The staff said they would, "leave the light on for him" which is a pretty noncommittal get well soon.

I did watch the game. I've watched most Steelers games. He hurt his ankle. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SuperJoint said:

I'm not starting any of this mess this week - eff it. Never thought I'd be saying "thank God for Gaskin" but that's my story - sticking to it. 

I'd be somewhat intrigued if Coleman needs to wait another week - but even then it's a game of eenie-meenie-minie-mo.

Agreed, Rolling with Henry, Gaskin, and doubling up with Paul Bunyan, and Jonnu 🤞🏼

7 hours ago, RevisAteMyQB said:

The reason you start him this week is because you absolutely shouldn't, and that's how the SF backfield operates. You pick the guy least likely to succeed, and you watch him go 100/3TD

Everyone views the situation like this now. People are tossing their hands up and saying "you can't figure out the 49ers backfield" blah blah blah. It's the easy way to view the situation. It's much harder to actually try to parse out all the information and pick the horse with the best chance of winning.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

Everyone views the situation like this now. People are tossing their hands up and saying "you can't figure out the 49ers backfield" blah blah blah. It's the easy way to view the situation. It's much harder to actually try to parse out all the information and pick the horse with the best chance of winning.

If you think you can read Shanahan's mind I'm in a combination of awe and sympathy.

• Like 1