NBC Sports Edge Forums

Auction Draft Strategy

A new conundrum for the thread:   My auction will have about 40 players already off the board, its a partial dynasty is how i best describe it.  Many of these guys will be below market value, meaning cash that remains is more than if you take these same 40 guys and draft from scratch.  Example- McCaffrey is already off the board at $53, Lamar Jackson is $11.   Basically all 40 guys range from slight to major bargains.  

Given that premise, what's the price on Clyde Edwards Helaire?  Whomever drafts him can "sign" him for 3 years total, his price dropping by $10 per year.   I personally believe he's at minimum, a $70 player for this reason.    

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a quick and simple Auction Exploit Tool I create for myself each year.  There are 2 main ways to use it, as a value indicator, but the simpler method is to use it as a Nomination Priority list

The top 5-6 RBs tend to score more points than almost all WRs. Last year 6 RBs out scored the WR2. So what I do is draft 3 RBs that have a path to top 5 potential. Usually one stud and the cheapest of

Depends on the nature of your league. My buddy league inflates top values by a LOT -- CMC went for 93 (yes ninety three), kamara 81, cook 80, barkley 87, etc. Even further down in the draft the prices

On 8/29/2020 at 9:47 PM, BrianM said:

A new conundrum for the thread:   My auction will have about 40 players already off the board, its a partial dynasty is how i best describe it.  Many of these guys will be below market value, meaning cash that remains is more than if you take these same 40 guys and draft from scratch.  Example- McCaffrey is already off the board at $53, Lamar Jackson is $11.   Basically all 40 guys range from slight to major bargains.  

Given that premise, what's the price on Clyde Edwards Helaire?  Whomever drafts him can "sign" him for 3 years total, his price dropping by $10 per year.   I personally believe he's at minimum, a $70 player for this reason.    

I'll tell you something crazy that happened in my auction last weekend. This was a first auction for me, and wish I were a bit more experienced.

CMC went for $100, Kamara $70, Zeke $70, in a $200 budget. All the studs were overbid by almost 25-50% of their perceived value. I was stunned- so stunned that I forgone almost all round 1 and 2 players and dominated players in rounds 3 through 7.

However, this left me with a team that has me feeling a bit "meh" and missing that "pop" factor. I'm banking on some of these mid-round guys making the ascension into the elite tier this year, which always happens every year with mid-round guys.

Lastly, this led to crazy cheap players later on in drafts. Akers for $8? Swift for $4? I believe the overpaying in the beginning and the cheap players at the end averaged out to what they probably should've gone for. 

Honestly, I'm not sure how I approached this. We start 3 WR/2 Flex/2 RB and no TE, so I figured getting as much good players and depths and bites at the apple this year with that roster setup is the best way to go.

CEH went for over $50, which seems like a bargain considering Kamara for $70. That being said, you'll have an idea of how a draft will go once the first few studs are off the board.

What was the best strategy to do if the studs were flying off and I wasn't willing to pay 25% more than "market price?" Is the market price dependent on the league and how they value players, or just the market in general?

2 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

I'll tell you something crazy that happened in my auction last weekend. This was a first auction for me, and wish I were a bit more experienced.

CMC went for $100, Kamara $70, Zeke $70, in a $200 budget. All the studs were overbid by almost 25-50% of their perceived value. I was stunned- so stunned that I forgone almost all round 1 and 2 players and dominated players in rounds 3 through 7.

However, this left me with a team that has me feeling a bit "meh" and missing that "pop" factor. I'm banking on some of these mid-round guys making the ascension into the elite tier this year, which always happens every year with mid-round guys.

Lastly, this led to crazy cheap players later on in drafts. Akers for $8? Swift for $4? I believe the overpaying in the beginning and the cheap players at the end averaged out to what they probably should've gone for. 

Honestly, I'm not sure how I approached this. We start 3 WR/2 Flex/2 RB and no TE, so I figured getting as much good players and depths and bites at the apple this year with that roster setup is the best way to go.

CEH went for over $50, which seems like a bargain considering Kamara for $70. That being said, you'll have an idea of how a draft will go once the first few studs are off the board.

What was the best strategy to do if the studs were flying off and I wasn't willing to pay 25% more than "market price?" Is the market price dependent on the league and how they value players, or just the market in general?

I believe that market price is dependent on the league. My goal is to always come out of the draft with at least 3 players who I consider to be Round 1 or Round 2 picks if the draft was in snake draft format...and sometimes you need to pay up to make that happen. 

To give an example, my $200 auction league drafted last night (2QB and existing keeper league). Several of the top RB's were kept...but not all. The best RB's available were CMC, CEH, Sanders and Mixon. I really wanted CMC but he was the third nomination of the draft and bidding got too high for me. CEH was the next big-name RB nominated. He too went higher than expected, considering our 2QB format, but I still ended up drafting him for $48. Even though that was over the value I thought he'd go for, I see him as a Round 1 pick and so it was worth it to me. In my experience, the teams that go for the "solid but no big-star" approach make the playoffs, but generally lose before the Finals. 

On 8/29/2020 at 10:47 PM, BrianM said:

I'm in an $200 auction league - 2QB league and we have 3 keepers. So like your league, many top guys are not available because they are kept. Contract price increases $3 from draft/keeper price, if a player is kept the next season. Prior to this year, the highest price in our auctions had been $49, for CMC last season (and then AB for two straight seasons, in 2017 & 2018). The 2QB format keeps values lower than that likely would be in 1QB leagues. With that said, this year CMC went for $59 and I ended up getting CEH for $48 (which was the second-highest price for any draft pick this season).

48 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

crazy stuff and things

That’s pretty crazy! Highest Ive seen is low 70’s for CMC/Barkley. Though I suppose it depends on league format/settings/size.

I think you played it correctly. However, like you said the b level player teams leave one feeling “meh” and you will likely agonize weekly over lineup decision and then lament why your bench players scored more than your staters. You need the guys with juice hat you can confidently plug in every week to carry you. The solid top to bottom teams also don’t leave room for adding top ww players either. 

So I would work especially hard to find 2for1 or 3for2 trade partners. Stay on top of the injuries happening and target teams with a big injury that are now thin. Target teams where a stud may have a slow start if you think it will turn around. GL

1 hour ago, Mustangt125 said:

Our top 4 backs ended up going for $85+.  Strangely, CMC was nominated first and went for $85, but all of Zeke, Saquon, and Kamara went for over $85.  So sometimes you just gotta pay for the first guy in a tier.  

True.  However, if possible, never end up sitting on the last player, in a given tier.  Made that mistake a few years back.  Will not do so again.

• Like 1

Some people may already do this, but here's another auction draft strategy I love. Nominate the kicker you like most with your first nomination, for $1. Best case, you get the kicker you want. Worst case, someone else spent $2 on a kicker. Same concept with picking a defense.

If anyone spends $2+ on either position, that leaves them less money to bid against me for the other positions.

1 hour ago, Goatstain3 said:

True.  However, if possible, never end up sitting on the last player, in a given tier.  Made that mistake a few years back.  Will not do so again.

Yep, don’t let your guy fall to the very end of a tier if it’s pretty clear.

Another mistake I see people make all the time is throwing out a guy who is clearly a tier or four below what is still available when people have big money left. I guess they think people save their money/slots and they can get them cheap. 

Im sure there are exceptions, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen that help. People generally aren’t clutching to every dollar and if you throw them out early, you are likely to overpay.

Alternatively, if there are guys you know you don’t want no matter the price that are below the current tier of players available, throw them out when it’s your turn. If they spend $3-5 more than they would have had to if that player had waited, that’s gold for you!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, vikesrube said:

Alternatively, if there are guys you know you don’t want no matter the price that are below the current tier of players available, throw them out when it’s your turn. If they spend $3-5 more than they would have had to if that player had waited, that’s gold for you!

This.

I'll try to throw out guys that are highly rated, but I don't particularly want, to start and get others to spend money.  But it has to be at the top of the list, otherwise people will hold back.  For example, I'm not throwing Ekeler out there if Henry, Cook, Zeke, Kamara, etc are still around, because guys are going to have bidding for them in mind and it will depress the market for Eck.  Since the goal is to have someone spend top dollar for the player, you need to nominate them around other guys, that you happen to like better, in similar tier.

You could always throw someone you're curious about but not committed to early.  If everyone is saving for the bigger names, maybe you get a bargain. If someone tops your price point, no biggie because you have time to pivot and won't have to overpay due to scarcity. 

After the first 30-40 picks is when I start nominating players I'm a bit more committed to.

I'm optimistic this year.  I like a large section of players at various prices, so I should be able to get value.  We'll see

8 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

You mind sharing your team including price?  I'll weigh in more when I see the results, but it sounds like you did the right thing.  I've seen this happen before, though not to this extreme, but you absolutely have to remember that bargains must come later.   It might not happen in the immediate second tier guys, but you can be sure you'll get plenty of scoops later on, as you noted.   

8 hours ago, Corleone said:

I'm in an $200 auction league - 2QB league and we have 3 keepers. So like your league, many top guys are not available because they are kept. Contract price increases $3 from draft/keeper price, if a player is kept the next season. Prior to this year, the highest price in our auctions had been $49, for CMC last season (and then AB for two straight seasons, in 2017 & 2018). The 2QB format keeps values lower than that likely would be in 1QB leagues. With that said, this year CMC went for $59 and I ended up getting CEH for $48 (which was the second-highest price for any draft pick this season).

Thanks.  The uncharted territory is kinda fun.  I dont know who i'll target specifically but i do know i'm spending early and burning it all.  I'll start with four starters locked in, and i can get a QB cheap.  I'll get the rest of the starting lineup secure with the $100 or so i have left to spend and gamble on 1 buck dudes for depth

• Like 1

I don’t know exactly what my strategy is, but I almost never bid on the top guys. People always overspend early, and then you can get guys on discount. There will always be those guys in your draft that blow their money early. 

As great as CMC and the other top guys are, by spending heavy on one or two guys, you really need to rely on them to both produce and stay healthy.

For me, I’d much rather load up on round 3-5 guys then have a couple round 1-2 guys and then a bunch of back end filler guys.

i am fine with a bench full of dollar store people especially in leagues with only 1 flex spot. The bench will be waiver wire turnover guys anyways. I will gladly take 2 first rounders and then if i can behave myself 3 or 4 4th to 6th rounders depending on prices and discounts some rooms will give you. sometimes i go lamar sometimes i just do a dollar qb. Depends on my mood. 

• Like 3
15 hours ago, BrianM said:

You mind sharing your team including price?  I'll weigh in more when I see the results, but it sounds like you did the right thing.  I've seen this happen before, though not to this extreme, but you absolutely have to remember that bargains must come later.   It might not happen in the immediate second tier guys, but you can be sure you'll get plenty of scoops later on, as you noted.   

The average first round went probably 20-30% above perception:

CMC - $100

Zeke - $70

Kamara - $70

Barkley - $78

Thomas - $68

Therefore, I loaded up at mid-round guys at rounds 3 through 6 that can exceed ADP with high likelihood...Carson $33...Gordon $16...Beckham, AJ Brown, Keenan, Sutton all between $21 - $29...

The problem I ran into was the inflation of RBs obviously would lead to bargains and depth later on. However, since we have 5 bench spots, depth is not as important, but now I am stuck with Kareem hunt at $15 and Fuller at $8 on my bench.

There were crazy values for perceived RB3 and WR3/4 types, but that value is "offset" by the first two rounds of owners overpaying. I am not sure where to believe the "value" in this draft was, but I was probably one of two owners who approached the draft in the manner that I did, as I really couldn't get sucked into spending crazy dollars in first two rounds of players. I'm not sure if "stars and scrubs" approach is good this year...there's so many injuries right now and the lack of proper off-season and training camp has apparently taken toll on players.

I think I may have overpaid for my players by 10-20% but I locked in the round 3 through 6 players that I wanted. However I'm also stuck with Singletary for $17, but I'm trying to fade all the public perception that he's going to be worthless.

Anyways, thoughts on how this went is greatly appreciated. The market was drastically skewed to the left during my draft, and since it's so fast and live fire, it's hard to pivot and zoom out to see what exactly is going on. Also, nominations are important as I screwed around and messed up on this, since it was my first time.

I think the best team in my league landed Henry and Jacobs for 10-15% above market, and Godwin and Kupp for about 10-15% above market, which then led to values for the person.

I have done over 20 auction leagues including like 5 superflex. Superflex is so much more fun imo. I am totally fine buying 2 first rounders normally 2 rb. Sometimes i go crazy and buy 3 high priced rb and a bunch of dollar store wr. My personal opinion is there will be more wr off waivers to give me a wr3 score than a rb off waivers being worth a crap. Last year mostert and deandre washington were it off waivers that helped multiple weeks. Also if the drake owner dropped drake after 6 weeks. 

Well boys I have another auction coming up Sunday night.  $200 budget, I get to keep Miles Sanders for $30.  Other backs being kept include: Henry, Ekeler, CMC, and Dalvin Cook. So Saquon, Zeke, and Kamara are up for auction.  Typically our highest priced backs go for a huge price and climb every year.  This year int he first auction the top RB gang all went for between $85-$90.

What plan do you guys like better:
A: Sanders for $30, be prepared to spend $90 on Barkley.  That puts me at $120, then I want to get 2 backs in the $15-$20 range, like Ingram, Mostert, Hunt.  

B: Sanders for $30, let the big backs go and target say Mixon for $55.  That puts me at $85, then I can still comfortably add Ingram, Mostert, and maybe another good back like Bell or Gurley.

Really caught between two minds here.  I like the "safety" of getting the top back, but then I have one fewer starting back on my roster essentially.  I want to go RB heavy so I really wanna pick up big time when the $15 backs like Ingram are going.  There are a ton of bargains to be had at WR, but of course in either scenario I will not be able to afford a heavy hitter in that position, which I'm fine with.  Can get guys like Tyler Boyd for $4, Chark went for $8, TF1 for $12.

Edited by Mustangt125
26 minutes ago, Mustangt125 said:

Well boys I have another auction coming up Sunday night.  $200 budget, I get to keep Miles Sanders for $30.  Other backs being kept include: Henry, Ekeler, CMC, and Dalvin Cook. So Saquon, Zeke, and Kamara are up for auction.  Typically our highest priced backs go for a huge price and climb every year.  This year int he first auction the top RB gang all went for between $85-$90.

What plan do you guys like better:
A: Sanders for $30, be prepared to spend $90 on Barkley.  That puts me at $120, then I want to get 2 backs in the $15-$20 range, like Ingram, Mostert, Hunt.  

B: Sanders for $30, let the big backs go and target say Mixon for $55.  That puts me at $85, then I can still comfortably add Ingram, Mostert, and maybe another good back like Bell or Gurley.

Really caught between two minds here.  I like the "safety" of getting the top back, but then I have one fewer starting back on my roster essentially.  I want to go RB heavy so I really wanna pick up big time when the $15 backs like Ingram are going.  There are a ton of bargains to be had at WR, but of course in either scenario I will not be able to afford a heavy hitter in that position, which I'm fine with.  Can get guys like Tyler Boyd for $4, Chark went for $8, TF1 for $12.

When it comes down to it, I think I'd go towards A. Saquon. I consider him to be more of a sure thing than Mixon. You have Sanders at a nice price so while $90 would be a lot to spend on one player, $120 combined for Saquon/Sanders seems like it would be reasonable for two top RB's in your league's context. And you'll have what is essentially the #2 pick (if this were a snake draft). 

In addition, while you might want to target Mixon for $55, other owners might be doing the same thing. So there's no way of knowing if bidding could get too high there.

Ironically in my auction/existing keeper league, one owner ended up with Sanders and Mixon as his top 2 RB's. 

• Like 1
On 8/29/2020 at 10:47 PM, BrianM said:

Following up on this- CEH went for $62 last night.  No other player cracked $40.  I was last guy out at $61 or I think he might've settled into the 50's, but the guy who took him had by far the most cash so I was able to level the playing field a little more by upbidding.   

Depends on the nature of your league. My buddy league inflates top values by a LOT -- CMC went for 93 (yes ninety three), kamara 81, cook 80, barkley 87, etc. Even further down in the draft the prices are really inflated. Too me this is just too much. So when I go into that league's draft, I adjust -- I don't go for studs like i typically do in other auctions. Who cares what "the average draft price" is, when all that matters is the 11 other people in your league and what they are bidding.

Lol I'm actually considering building a pricing model for this one specific league -- over the past X years how far off has this league's prices been from the FF universe's average draft value, and what does that mean i should reasonably expect each guy to go for this year when comparing to this year's FF average draft value?

• Like 3

I think a pricing model makes sense.  Get to know the trends of your league and your leaguemates too.  We basically know when certain players are on the board (maybe 8-10), one guy's gonna bid to the moon.    There are two people in mine that battle over every single Buffalo Bill, and its great for business.  Another will chase every rookie RB.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, BrianM said:

I think a pricing model makes sense.  Get to know the trends of your league and your leaguemates too.  We basically know when certain players are on the board (maybe 8-10), one guy's gonna bid to the moon.    There are two people in mine that battle over every single Buffalo Bill, and its great for business.  Another will chase every rookie RB.  

Absolutely this. Our league has been going for years with only the odd change of manager and we should all have a pretty good idea what everyone's approach is. That's key in a salary cap league. Of course, you have to be very flexible, but there are still some things to plan for.

1. Know the order on your platform. Do some mock drafts. The values don't really mean much, but you get to know which players are buried deep down. People are influenced by the order when it comes to nominating. For example, Conner appears pretty late on on ESPN, and by the time he comes along people have already spent a ton on RBs. Zach Moss appears way, way later than Singletary, for example, and I got him for $7 whereas people fought over Singletary up to $29. Even if you think he's the #1, I know which get I'd be happier with.

2. Let people go crazy early on, but don't miss an opportunity to grab value. For example, our league bids really high early on (14-teamer, short bench, $200). CMC went for $101, Barkley/Kamara/Elliott for $91/$86/$85. That's probably too much, and round 1 guys were all going for $70+. It would be easy to wait for value late on, but sometimes you're left with all the money and nothing to buy. Try to get a couple of rounds 1-2 guys at value. That should leave you enough money to pick off your mid- and late-targets.

3. Keep track of the money you're spending. I always set up a small spreadsheet with each position, a ballpark figure to aim for, and a running total (e.g. QB $15, RB $60, WR $40 etc...). Then if I get an RB1 at $55 it means an extra $5 to spend elsewhere. Be flexible though, if the value is at WR1 then go for it. Just amend the spreadsheet as you go. This also allows you to...

4. Try to keep $2 available for each late pick. It's so frustrating if you have, say, 3 bench spots left and $3 left. That means you can only get the players you nominate, so for example, if you were hoping for Lamb, Ruggs, or Hardman and the guys before you nominate them, there's nothing you can do. At least if you have $2 available you can keep your mouse/hand hovering over the +$1 button, ready to pounce if they come up.

5. Try to avoid painting yourself into a positional corner. Unlike a snake draft, it's possible to lose out on every player you want in a shallow position, in a bigger league at least. Our league tends to hoard QBs and TEs. If you're waiting for a position, try to keep an eye on what others are doing. Are there any others who need somebody at that position? I ended up paying slightly more than I wanted for Russell Wilson, but people with money still needed QBs at that point. Josh Allen, Tom Brady and Matthew Stafford each went for $10, which is pretty steep for a salary cap league. Lamar went for $51, Mahomes $45. Likewise TEs - in a league where people are on-the-ball you're not going to be able to get Hayden Hurst, say, for a couple of bucks. You can wait on bench WRs because there are loads of them.

There's no magic solution. Know your opponents as much as possible, know the order players come up in on your platform, know what you're spending as you spend it. Be flexible, and try to keep a little extra on hand at the end to facilitate that.

• Like 2

My main home league (superflex - no keepers) has finally decided to move to auction this year.  What are some auction suggestions for two qb leagues? 

How much do the top & middle tier qb's go for?  Does it lower the value of all other positions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!   Starting offensive positions posted below (we also do IDP but just wondering about offense for now😞

1. QB
  2. RB
  3. RB/WR
  4. WR
  5. WR
  6. WR
  7. TE
  8. OP 
9 hours ago, PurpleHaze479 said:

My main home league (superflex - no keepers) has finally decided to move to auction this year.  What are some auction suggestions for two qb leagues? 

How much do the top & middle tier qb's go for?  Does it lower the value of all other positions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!   Starting offensive positions posted below (we also do IDP but just wondering about offense for now😞

1. QB
  2. RB
  3. RB/WR
  4. WR
  5. WR
  6. WR
  7. TE
  8. OP 

I think one of the things people overlook in auctions is to really pay attention to the league scoring/lineup settings and consider that in your bidding - it drastically swings player values.  I'm in a 1PPR league -- so I went all in on McCaffrey at $72 (of $200).   He had 116 receptions last year (the equivalent of 19TDs in receptions alone) 1005 receiving yards.  Essentially, I bid 40% of my budget because I got an RB1 and a WR1 at one spot.  

My suggestion would be to get two QBs but dont nominate the guy you want.   Nominate guys you know are going to get big money from other people, and let them waste their money.   For reference on your question about QB value, Mahomes went for 62, and Lamar 63.   Huge dropoff after that - Wilson 24, Watson 23, Dak 22.   Superflex increases QB value a lot, but it seems like a lot of people don't realize the importance of it.  I'm in a superflex league and I got Wentz for $8 (Watson at $23) because I can start them both.   About 75% of the teams are playing a position player at superflex.  Even if Wentz has a bad game, it's still like 15-20....which would be a GREAT game from a position player. 

Will be interesting to see how your league drafts with only needing one RB to start.   

• Like 1