NBC Sports Edge Forums

Auction Draft Strategy

2 hours ago, bounce said:

I think one of the things people overlook in auctions is to really pay attention to the league scoring/lineup settings and consider that in your bidding - it drastically swings player values.  I'm in a 1PPR league -- so I went all in on McCaffrey at $72 (of $200).   He had 116 receptions last year (the equivalent of 19TDs in receptions alone) 1005 receiving yards.  Essentially, I bid 40% of my budget because I got an RB1 and a WR1 at one spot.  

My suggestion would be to get two QBs but dont nominate the guy you want.   Nominate guys you know are going to get big money from other people, and let them waste their money.   For reference on your question about QB value, Mahomes went for 62, and Lamar 63.   Huge dropoff after that - Wilson 24, Watson 23, Dak 22.   Superflex increases QB value a lot, but it seems like a lot of people don't realize the importance of it.  I'm in a superflex league and I got Wentz for $8 (Watson at $23) because I can start them both.   About 75% of the teams are playing a position player at superflex.  Even if Wentz has a bad game, it's still like 15-20....which would be a GREAT game from a position player. 

Will be interesting to see how your league drafts with only needing one RB to start.   

Thanks for the insight.  My league mates value QB like crazy and always want to start 2 so I'm projecting them to go higher than normal which will devalue other positions.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a quick and simple Auction Exploit Tool I create for myself each year.  There are 2 main ways to use it, as a value indicator, but the simpler method is to use it as a Nomination Priority list

The top 5-6 RBs tend to score more points than almost all WRs. Last year 6 RBs out scored the WR2. So what I do is draft 3 RBs that have a path to top 5 potential. Usually one stud and the cheapest of

Depends on the nature of your league. My buddy league inflates top values by a LOT -- CMC went for 93 (yes ninety three), kamara 81, cook 80, barkley 87, etc. Even further down in the draft the prices

1 hour ago, Kramjam24 said:

Anyone have any thoughts on going all in on barkley and elliot and then filling out the roster with w/e money is left? 

If one/both of them go down with Covid, you are done for the season.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, zen25 said:

If one/both of them go down with Covid, you are done for the season.

I biffed on my draft in my main league and ended up with a lot of WRs in that 2nd/3rd/4th tier, which I wasn’t happy with initially, even though I like all the players individually. But after thinking about it, it’s probably not a bad year to be a tad more spread out and have some options on the bench vs going heavy on the studs. 

• Like 2
On 9/7/2020 at 1:47 PM, Kramjam24 said:

Anyone have any thoughts on going all in on barkley and elliot and then filling out the roster with w/e money is left? 

I mean it depends upon your league I suppose. Ours is a 14-teamer with a bit of a weird roster - only 4 bench spots, no kickers, total roster 12 players. Barkley went for $91, Elliott for $85. That would leave you with $24 for 10 players 🙂. Do-able, but your WRs and FLEXes would be hilarious.

I'm in an auction dynasty league and I entered the year with AJ Brown and DJ Chark at minimum salaries ($2 each, $200 cap total). I thought about going all-in on CMC and Barkley for 145, but decided that wasn't worth it because of the total lack of depth and COVID risks, as well as having little chance at getting interesting keepers.

Instead, I ended up with Kamara (57), Drake (48), Mostert (17), and Jonathan Taylor (25) as my guys, as well as getting Mike Evans (26) as my WR3.

FWIW, I was really shocked at how cheap WR went in our auction this year vs. previous years (Evans was 47 last year!) - while my predictions for RB were pretty close, I ended up being way off on WR. 

I passed up the top 4 stud RBs and WRs in favor of stockpiling lower ranked RB1s like Drake (40$), Mixon (46$) and Sanders 48$.  CMC only went for 75, Barkley was around 66, Kamara 61, Zeke was around 70.  I was very happy with my rbs b/c they normally go for a lot in my league (50+) for guys in that tier and I had budgeted as much as 55$ a pop to get two of them.  I cuffed Drake and Sanders and would advise anyone who hasn't drafted yet to cuff Sanders to be safe.  I reckon there were a lot of other people who were able to get Drake and Sanders for cheap prices due to the injury uncertainty.  

I would advise going for a more balanced approach this year, especially if your league is known to make trades.  My goal was to come out of the draft with running backs covered and I definitely was able to achieve that this year.  I also think it's more fun to build a team with depth and breakout players rather than just drafting 3 studs and then sitting back and watching the rest of the draft tick by.

On 9/7/2020 at 10:47 AM, Kramjam24 said:

I accidentally did this In a 14 team 5 bench ppr league ended up Pretty good.   J Allen $1

zeke $77

barkley $70

scary Terry $12

Boyd $9

marvin Jones $7

jonnu $1

hollywood $10

Mathew stafford $2

Antonio Gibson $7

gesicki $1

Def $1

k $1

parris Campbell $1

1 hour ago, fyasko said:

I accidentally did this In a 14 team 5 bench ppr league ended up Pretty good.   J Allen $1

zeke $77

barkley $70

scary Terry $12

Boyd $9

marvin Jones $7

jonnu $1

hollywood $10

Mathew stafford $2

Antonio Gibson $7

gesicki $1

Def $1

k $1

parris Campbell $1

Such a good team, in my leagues scary Terry doesn't go lower than 20$, Gibson in the last days 15 $ Boyd never lower than 15$, and Hollywood brown always over 20$ so you went  good in values  for me