NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chris Thompson 2020 Outlook

Chris Thompson has had some big PPR games in the past and is reunited with Jay Gruden in Jacksonville this season.  They should be pretty bad and playing from behind this season so do you think Thompson will be useful?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Armstead was taken in my dynasty and I needed some RB depth for this year so I grabbed Thompson with for the one roster spot I'm not sure what to do with.   He won't win me the league, but I th

useful in knocking Lenny Snaps 📸 ppr game to zilch ... as long as CT stays healthy, natch - now, stand alone value?  sure - receiving backs are el-cheapo bin roster stuffers ...  worth the spec t

grabbed him everywhere,  that frees up a ton of targets and for ppr especially Thompson is gold 

21 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

Chris Thompson has had some big PPR games in the past and is reunited with Jay Gruden in Jacksonville this season.  They should be pretty bad and playing from behind this season so do you think Thompson will be useful?

useful in knocking Lenny Snaps 📸 ppr game to zilch ... as long as CT stays healthy, natch -

now, stand alone value?  sure - receiving backs are el-cheapo bin roster stuffers ...  worth the spec to see how it shakes out.  

• Like 1

I honestly like him a lot in Full PPR leagues. I haven't picked him up though. He's on my watch list if I'm able to get some 2-for-1 or 3-for-2 trades pulled off. If you're thin at RB in a Full PPR leagues, you want to target guys like Thompson, Hines, etc.

1 minute ago, FlashGordon401 said:

Giddy up.

Word on the street is that he's having a great camp and thriving in RZ drills. His familiarity with Gruden and his system is also a major plus.

love to hear this, guy can still be had for peanuts - pending health, as always - but this has a ton of ppr goodness oozing outta it. 

• Like 1

But how many games will he last?? He can be had for peanuts...which is good because he’s made out of peanut brittle. 

And he’s averaged more than 4 receptions/game once in his career. He’s played more than 16 games once. He’s had more than 100 touches twice (barely) I like Thompson a lot...I really do. And I think he could be dynamic in this offense. We just haven’t seen the ability to stay on the field nor have we seen that he can hold up under a lot of touches. Was it 2016 or 2017 when he was averaging more than 10 per game and got hurt multiple times?

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

But how many games will he last?? He can be had for peanuts...which is good because he’s made out of peanut brittle. 

And he’s averaged more than 4 receptions/game once in his career. He’s played more than 16 games once. He’s had more than 100 touches twice (barely) I like Thompson a lot...I really do. And I think he could be dynamic in this offense. We just haven’t seen the ability to stay on the field nor have we seen that he can hold up under a lot of touches. Was it 2016 or 2017 when he was averaging more than 10 per game and got hurt multiple times?

i included the health caveat in my post ... everyone knows the drill with this cat - it's baked in.

i think he is definitely worth the (little) risk his dirt cheap price tag mandates. 

Just now, Flyman75 said:

If he’s still there and someone has the cut to make, go for it. I’d prefer to pick up Armstead first, but that’s me, lol. 

Yeah I’m leaning with the guy who I think gets Forunette’s carries and that’s Armstead at this point.

I get the Armstead argument but in my mind the easy choice here is Thompson. This team will not be leading many games and playing from behind which will require hurry up offense. It seems like Thompson is poised for a prominent role this year barring any injuries which we all know is a risk with him.

3 minutes ago, kdpat15 said:

I get the Armstead argument but in my mind the easy choice here is Thompson. This team will not be leading many games and playing from behind which will require hurry up offense. It seems like Thompson is poised for a prominent role this year barring any injuries which we all know is a risk with him.

I don’t believe he’s poised for a more prominent role than he ever had in Washington...which was 10 touches per game at his best in one season. And he’ll be 30 in October.

2 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I don’t believe he’s poised for a more prominent role than he ever had in Washington...which was 10 touches per game at his best in one season. And he’ll be 30 in October.

guess we will see, thats why they play the game. In my eyes he has the most familiarity with the Gruden system so I wouldn't be surprised if this backfield is a 50/50 split moving forward

It looks like Thompson gets about 10 games lately. 

We run a 3 wr, 2rb 2 flex and a decent bench...so while atm my teams look great and I'm happy with them doesnt mean that there still won't be injuries,  theres covid , so this is just an opportunity for a dude like Thompson for a flex especially this year , you want anyone in this position imo.

Thompson is one of those big fantasy day players 2 or 3 times a season.  Sure hard to predict but if you do it can win a week as such a lower end wildcard play that puts up some nice points. 

Again it's about availability as well, if you get him off the wire its a steal for the opportunity.  Drafting i probably wouldn't reach much if at all, but a free waiver grab when the starting rb gets the boot, its a no brainer

Picked up Thompson in a PPR league because Armstead was already taken and my team needs RB depth. To be honest, I think I got the better RB option.

Of course, we all know pass-catching is Thompson's bread and butter, and he's reunited with his former head coach/current OC Jay Gruden in Jacksonville. Gruden knows how to use him properly.

Plus I heard that Thompson and Minshew have on-field chemistry, so far, including in the red zone.

2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

If he’s still there and someone has the cut to make, go for it. I’d prefer to pick up Armstead first, but that’s me, lol. 

I grabbed both and am going to let the situation play itself out.  Could be a good bye week fill in 🤷‍♂️