NBC Sports Edge Forums

Matthew Stafford 2020 Outlook

I honestly think he easily finishes as a top 10 QB this season. He was on pace for 5,000 yards and 38 TDs last season before going down to injury. The injury he sustained is not one that's  likely to be repeated either. He has an incredibly favorable schedule outside of the two matchups against Chicago, and the one against the Saints. No other team on his schedule is ranked in the top 10 secondaries by Pro Football Focus. He's got a healthy Golladay and Marvin Jones. Hockenson is entering Year 2. The Lions drafted arguably the best pass-catching RB in the draft in Swift. Everything seems to line up for a top 10 season for Stafford with top 5 upside. Someone tell me why we shouldn't be targeting Stafford in Round 10 of all drafts. The only other QB I like more than Stafford based on ADP is Drew Brees, and he's being reached for in most drafts and mock drafts I've taken part of.

Edited by CamNewton
  • Like 1
  • Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Matthew Stafford reportedly out for Lions, ends consecutive starts streak at 136 games (Nov 2019) Eh? Stafford has a great reciving corps, TE, and will be in shoot-outs all year. Agreed he'l

Sean Peyton isn't going to let his golden boy go. Like it or not, Hill is your opening day QB for the Saints in 2021.  Plenty of suitors for Stafford. Niners already in the mix. I'm going to semi

Posted Images

Stafford, hard to get excited about, has been in the league a long time, gets hurt a lot, but should have some big games.  Got him as my backup towards end of draft.  Hopefully he works out, but there's a reason you can get him at the end of a draft...

4 minutes ago, AlexxelA said:

gets hurt a lot

Matthew Stafford reportedly out for Lions, ends consecutive starts streak at 136 games (Nov 2019)

Eh?

Stafford has a great reciving corps, TE, and will be in shoot-outs all year. Agreed he'll be mid/low-QB1 in standard leagues without the rushing of the high-end guys, but if last year is anything to go by will still hopefully be lighting it up week-to-week.

• Like 5
30 minutes ago, AlexxelA said:

Stafford, hard to get excited about, has been in the league a long time, gets hurt a lot, but should have some big games.  Got him as my backup towards end of draft.  Hopefully he works out, but there's a reason you can get him at the end of a draft...

See this is what I'm talking about. Recent bias has got everyone thinking he's injury prone, but he has barely missed any games in his entire career outside of last season. He's also 32 years old. He's younger than Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Rivers, Big Ben, Fitzpatrick, and Matt Ryan. He's the same age as Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins. He's not that old for a QB. He's in the age range where most QBs are in the prime of their careers traditionally. The great QBs of recent history like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and Peyton Manning had heir best seasons during this age range.

Edited by CamNewton
  • Like 1

I like waiting on QB and grabbing him, minshew, or Danny dimes. 

I expect big things out of Golladay this year and like the addition of Swift aswell. 

Edited by scheibler
13 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I like Stafford but his ADP is too rich for my blood, especially after he was basically free last year. He was pretty pedestrian in 2018.

Idk about that. From where I have seen him go --thus far-- I couldn't be more about his ADP. A legit alpha WR1 type in Golladay, a great #2 in Jones with solid complementary pieces in slot Amendola, TE Hock and even WR4 depth in Cephus...plus a pass catching back with juice in the rookie Swift. Couple that with a middling at best defense and a system that takes downfield shots, I am liking him as a QB target to wait on.

• Like 2

He can hopefully do good but he's not a sure fire qb1.  He is a guy who could be a qb1 or could be 15-20th best qb.  hard to get super excited about someone who has been in the league 10 years.  How many times has he been a top 5 fantasy QB?  Anyone know?  I doubt ever.

57 minutes ago, AlexxelA said:

He can hopefully do good but he's not a sure fire qb1.  He is a guy who could be a qb1 or could be 15-20th best qb.  hard to get super excited about someone who has been in the league 10 years.  How many times has he been a top 5 fantasy QB?  Anyone know?  I doubt ever.

You gotta temper expectation though. The top-5 guys get that factored into ADP - that's why Mahomes and Jackson go in the 3rd and Stafford is there around the 10th. If you play the "wait on QB" game, guys like Stafford and Brees are the perfect foil while you load up on RB and WR talent.

• Like 1

He's one of the premiere late round guys for sure, got him in the 14th in a 6pt Pass TD league. It would be great if Cephus could emerge as a sturdy WR3 because I think Amendola is toast. Relatively unknown WR4 Marvin Hall has some juice too as a deep threat, guy average 37.5 YPC on 7 catches last year (11 targets), 1 of 4 guys in NFL history to ever have more than 35 YPC with 5+ catches.

One thing I'm a bit concerned about is his line. They lost Glasgow in FA and they play in arguably the best pass rush division in football (Mack/Quinn/Hicks, Z Smith/P Smith/Clark, Hunter). Any Lions fan/OL enthusiast know if that concern is valid?

2 hours ago, Olliemets said:

He's one of the premiere late round guys for sure, got him in the 14th in a 6pt Pass TD league. It would be great if Cephus could emerge as a sturdy WR3 because I think Amendola is toast. Relatively unknown WR4 Marvin Hall has some juice too as a deep threat, guy average 37.5 YPC on 7 catches last year (11 targets), 1 of 4 guys in NFL history to ever have more than 35 YPC with 5+ catches.

One thing I'm a bit concerned about is his line. They lost Glasgow in FA and they play in arguably the best pass rush division in football (Mack/Quinn/Hicks, Z Smith/P Smith/Clark, Hunter). Any Lions fan/OL enthusiast know if that concern is valid?

I am a Lions fan but don't follow the team closely.  All I know is even if they start the season 6-0, they still won't make the playoffs.  They haven't won a playoff game since 1991.

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, AlexxelA said:

I am a Lions fan but don't follow the team closely.  All I know is even if they start the season 6-0, they still won't make the playoffs.  They haven't won a playoff game since 1991.

the Bangles (last playoff win in 1990) can only dream of such prodigious post season excellence ...

📸

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

the Bangles (last playoff win in 1990) can only dream of such prodigious post season excellence ...

📸

similar, but cin made playoffs 5 years in a row from 2011-2015, lions could only dream of that streak

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

📸

The Bangles are a great band and Suzanna Hoffs is an ageless beauty 😍 The Lions can't compete with that.

I like the OPs thesis, Stafford will be throwing a lot this year and he has some good targets.  Injury perception is just because he got banged up a lot when he was younger.  Hasn't seemed to be a problem lately until last year.  Gimme Stafford ahead of someone like Carson Went any day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Illusion_J said:

Gimme Stafford ahead of someone like Carson Wentz any day.

Agreed. Wentz's options are already getting injured and injury prone as it is. If he's without Alshon and DeSean again, it's going to be tough sledding. Unlike Philadelphia, I don't think the Lions will be efficient running the ball. This is going to force Stafford to pass early and often. I'm taking him in the 10th or 11th in every draft I'm in where I can't nab Brees in the 8th.

I think Stanford is a fantastic QB but every time I start to get excited I see Matt Patricia’s stubborn face. It’s like Stanford is a rich man’s Jay Cutler: great talent ruined by inept coaching. 

That said, weeks 1, 4, 7 and 12 will be rough but it looks like a gravy train otherwise. Especially at his ADP. 

I just pray Patricia doesn’t screw this up too badly.

Stafford is a mid-to-late round pick that'll deliver top 10 upside.  Got him in the 10th round in my draft today and am happy with that.  He'll be slinging the ball and has plenty of weapons to toss it to.  I'd much rather take a guy like Stafford here than get a guy like Wentz a round or two earlier.

On 8/25/2020 at 10:04 PM, ST. STEVEN said:

Idk about that. From where I have seen him go --thus far-- I couldn't be more about his ADP. A legit alpha WR1 type in Golladay, a great #2 in Jones with solid complementary pieces in slot Amendola, TE Hock and even WR4 depth in Cephus...plus a pass catching back with juice in the rookie Swift. Couple that with a middling at best defense and a system that takes downfield shots, I am liking him as a QB target to wait on.

yeah but Matt Patricia.

I love Stafford but that’s enough to scare me. 

there’s also the fact that most of Staffords production last year came from a few games against truly awful defenses. 

11 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

yeah but Matt Patricia.

I love Stafford but that’s enough to scare me. 

there’s also the fact that most of Staffords production last year came from a few games against truly awful defenses. 

Patricia was the coach last year, correct?  The year where in 8 games Stafford threw for almost 2500 yards and 19 TD's with a 103 QB rating?  Extrapolated over a 16 game season you're looking at near 5000 passing yards and 38 TD's.  And you're scared why?

• Like 3

I’ve always been a fan of Stafford & think he’s been underrated for years. I don’t own him this year either so this is just an outsider’s view...

I’m just wondering if we don’t see him get the 3-4-5 yd TD passes this year with them signing Peterson. Yes he’s 35, but it’s still Adrian Freaking Peterson & he was a solid option for WAS last year. He’s always been great near the GL so I’d be slightly concerned with his familiarity with Darrell Bevell’s offense

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

I’ve always been a fan of Stafford & think he’s been underrated for years. I don’t own him this year either so this is just an outsider’s view...

I’m just wondering if we don’t see him get the 3-4-5 yd TD passes this year with them signing Peterson. Yes he’s 35, but it’s still Adrian Freaking Peterson & he was a solid option for WAS last year. He’s always been great near the GL so I’d be slightly concerned with his familiarity with Darrell Bevell’s offense

AP will be cut by week 4.

stop with this nonsense, he cannot/will not ever fit in with a complex offensive scheme that doesn't kiss his stooge rear. 

he won't see October in a Lions uniform. 

• Like 1