Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Matthew Stafford 2020 Outlook


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, fluffy69 said:

Not sure why anyone would make a playoff bet when the draft and this years super bowl hasn't happened yet. If Colts do get Stafford (which i don't think is going to happen), they could be gutted and not even make the AFC playoffs next year. If you're saying that Matt Stafford doesn't have the tools to win a playoff game....well that's just silly.

 

Of course he has the tools, as did Rivers.  I argued earlier that while I think Stafford has obviously more athletic ability and youth on his side, Rivers is/was a smarter QB and leader than he ever will be.  It's a wash and a parallel upgrade imo.  And it's just that, my opinion 🤷‍♂️ I'm willing to bet on it too.  I just dont think the Colts get any further in the playoffs under Stafford than they did Rivers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Matthew Stafford reportedly out for Lions, ends consecutive starts streak at 136 games (Nov 2019) Eh? Stafford has a great reciving corps, TE, and will be in shoot-outs all year. Agreed he'l

Sean Peyton isn't going to let his golden boy go. Like it or not, Hill is your opening day QB for the Saints in 2021.  Plenty of suitors for Stafford. Niners already in the mix. I'm going to semi

Posted Images

4 hours ago, kdko said:

 

Of course he has the tools, as did Rivers.  I argued earlier that while I think Stafford has obviously more athletic ability and youth on his side, Rivers is/was a smarter QB and leader than he ever will be.  It's a wash and a parallel upgrade imo.  And it's just that, my opinion 🤷‍♂️ I'm willing to bet on it too.  I just dont think the Colts get any further in the playoffs under Stafford than they did Rivers.


I think Stafford is a better QB than Rivers that was stuck in Detroit. If he makes it to Indy where the organization is solid I think he would be an excellent playoff QB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rivers never got to a Super Bowl. But hope Stafford will get a team that is a winning team. Give him credit for standing by the Lions there despite having one or two seasons only when he was under center as winning seasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Passepartout said:

Rivers never got to a Super Bowl. But hope Stafford will get a team that is a winning team. Give him credit for standing by the Lions there despite having one or two seasons only when he was under center as winning seasons.

I mean the Lions did give him 135 million reasons to stay with 92 million of them guaranteed. 

Edited by GottaGetTheWin
Link to post
Share on other sites

I love it for Stafford's fantasy value and I like it for the Rams, even if they gave up a lot. You're getting a pretty substantial upgrade at QB on a team that is set pretty much everywhere else on the roster. This Rams team is really close to being a legit contender, and Stafford plus some OL upgrades puts them really in the thick of things.

 

This move also gives the Rams quite a bit of cap flexibility down the road. Stafford is under contract until 2022, carrying a cap hit of 33 mil and 26 mil for those two years. After that, he's off the books, and they can either look elsewhere at QB, or bring him back on a cheaper deal. Goff was tied up through 2024 - costing them over 30 mil each year, except for 2024, where he carried a 28 mil cap hit. Getting Goff off the books is a big win.

 

I think the Rams' brass has proven they don't need premium first round picks to find gems. A lot of guys on this Rams roster were picked relatively late, or groomed as cheap pick ups from other teams (Darious Williams, Troy Hill).

 

Matt Stafford should be able to put up good numbers, finally having a competent coach and good weapons around him. This O-Line is solid, and I think he brings the Rams up a notch in NFC contention. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

As it stands right now, I don't think the Rams really upgraded that much.  I just think Stafford is one of those uber talented guys that does less with more.  Now maybe the change of organizations really does help and I have to eat a lot of crow.

 

Put it this way...time for McVay to show that he's truly the offensive genius and for Stafford to show he's actually good.  As the above posted mentioned, the Rams are set up well as an overall team, especially if they feed Akers. I think they could maybe use a slight upgrade at receiver but there should be enough talent for Stafford to win.  He has to prove it before I believe it though.   The expectations are more than just a first round playoff exit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

As it stands right now, I don't think the Rams really upgraded that much.  I just think Stafford is one of those uber talented guys that does less with more.  Now maybe the change of organizations really does help and I have to eat a lot of crow.

 

Put it this way...time for McVay to show that he's truly the offensive genius and for Stafford to show he's actually good.  As the above posted mentioned, the Rams are set up well as an overall team, especially if they feed Akers. I think they could maybe use a slight upgrade at receiver but there should be enough talent for Stafford to win.  He has to prove it before I believe it though.   The expectations are more than just a first round playoff exit. 

There were so many games this year that Jared Goff looked like an absolute deer in the headlights. He definitely regressed a lot the past 2 years, and he would have to get back to where he was 2 years ago for the Rams to truly have a chance to contend in the NFC. I agree that we'll have to see how the Stafford and McVay combo goes, but with the Rams solid run game and defense (which Stafford has never had his entire career in Detriot), the onus won't be on him to have to play hero ball to win games.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dewaser said:

There were so many games this year that Jared Goff looked like an absolute deer in the headlights. He definitely regressed a lot the past 2 years, and he would have to get back to where he was 2 years ago for the Rams to truly have a chance to contend in the NFC. I agree that we'll have to see how the Stafford and McVay combo goes, but with the Rams solid run game and defense (which Stafford has never had his entire career in Detriot), the onus won't be on him to have to play hero ball to win games.

Very fair and that may well be the difference.  If Stafford doesn't have to have the whole thing on his shoulders then maybe that's what helps him take the next step.  Totally fair point.  Not many people can be Mahomes, Brady, Rogers type players that can put the entire team on their back. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

Very fair and that may well be the difference.  If Stafford doesn't have to have the whole thing on his shoulders then maybe that's what helps him take the next step.  Totally fair point.  Not many people can be Mahomes, Brady, Rogers type players that can put the entire team on their back. 

Still wouldn't Stafford as more than my backup Qb though.  A lot of his fantasy value was tied into how much he had to throw the ball and evne then he was putting up meh fantasy numbers the last few years.  If that gets scaled back it might be better for his real life W/L but stunt his fantasy numbers. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Rams going all the way in while they still got Donald and Ramsay in their prime.

They've yet to find a first round pick they aren't afraid to trade lol. 

Hey..if McVay is the offensive genius he's made out to be he should be able to get Stafford to that next level that his talent would provide and that could take them to the Super Bowl as soon as next year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Rams are bold, I'll give em that.  Always convincing themselves they're one player away and giving up what it takes to get that guy (Cooks, Ramsey, now Stafford).   Their cap troubles never seem to dissipate, and they never keep any picks to add young cheapies.   They erode a little more depth each year, and they're also down a couple assistant coaches.  

But, I said some of this stuff last season and they still did pretty well, so.......I dunno. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

As it stands right now, I don't think the Rams really upgraded that much.  I just think Stafford is one of those uber talented guys that does less with more.  Now maybe the change of organizations really does help and I have to eat a lot of crow.

 

Put it this way...time for McVay to show that he's truly the offensive genius and for Stafford to show he's actually good.  As the above posted mentioned, the Rams are set up well as an overall team, especially if they feed Akers. I think they could maybe use a slight upgrade at receiver but there should be enough talent for Stafford to win.  He has to prove it before I believe it though.   The expectations are more than just a first round playoff exit. 

The upgrade is massive. And trust me they don’t need to upgrade their receivers.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This move will pretty much determine Stafford's legacy--whether he goes down as a great QB who wasted his years on a bad team (Warren Moon/Dan Fouts esque) or a high arm talent gunslinger but moderately above average stats guy (Drew Bledsoe)

I for one think he is really, really good and this Rams team is going to the NFC CG next year. There's a reason that people in the NFL seem to think so highly of him (Les Snead/Mcvay obviously, Bruce Arians, Aaron Rodgers, Carson Palmer, Mahomes) while fans call him sucky because he didn't win Super Bowls with Matt Patricia, a grand total of zero 1000 yard rushers and bottom third defenses

I am excited to see and wish he could have gotten out sooner

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, BrianM said:

The Rams are bold, I'll give em that.  Always convincing themselves they're one player away and giving up what it takes to get that guy (Cooks, Ramsey, now Stafford).   Their cap troubles never seem to dissipate, and they never keep any picks to add young cheapies.   They erode a little more depth each year, and they're also down a couple assistant coaches.  

But, I said some of this stuff last season and they still did pretty well, so.......I dunno. 

+1

Word for word my thoughts. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember reading a theory that owners are potentially going to agree to raise the cap number just to avoid pure chaos, even though it means they'll take a hit.   That'll save a lot of teams including LA if it happens.    They're still in some **** even if that happens.  They'll have to start converting salaries to signing bonuses and kicking money down the line.  There aren't many easy cuts there and the roster still has a lot of needs.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mocha4313 said:

"This move will pretty much determine Stafford's legacy--whether he goes down as a great QB who wasted his years on a bad team (Warren Moon/Dan Fouts esque) or a high arm talent gunslinger but moderately above average stats guy (Drew Bledsoe)

I for one think he is really, really good and this Rams team is going to the NFC CG next year. There's a reason that people in the NFL seem to think so highly of him (Les Snead/Mcvay obviously, Bruce Arians, Aaron Rodgers, Carson Palmer, Mahomes) while fans call him sucky because he didn't win Super Bowls with Matt Patricia, a grand total of zero 1000 yard rushers and bottom third defenses

I am excited to see and wish he could have gotten out sooner."

I want to say that I read where Stafford & the organization both felt a change would benefit both sides, perhaps it will. But the part about, oh, the poor child had no complement run game.... could be wrong, but to me, he's not one of them. There's a "discard here" bin loaded with Dan Marino pass-happy, go nowhere, clones! A lot of these guys want to win, as much as anyone, but.... they have to be the reason why or forget it.

It's been that way for a long time. I remember when Michael Jordan thought he was a baseball player & of course, the Bulls were not the same team w/o him. They were in a playoffs series, vs the Knicks I think & it was a swing game, they had to have it. They get the ball & Phil Jackson calls a TO. They huddle around a bit & he's telling them what they're going to run. When Scottie Pippen learned that the spot shooter was going to take the game-winner, he didn't even want to be on the floor. 

There have been WRs, same thing. When they're not involved they loose their edge & it starts stinking up the play. It's like a cookout next door, the ball's snapped & the DB smells it instantly, ou, this play is away, he knows he's on the back side of that thing. Not a good thing, not at all. if Stafford embraces being a component, I think he could do well. But I want to say I've read that he's struggled when he hasn't had a honking z-slot stallion to throw to. 

I also think McVay has to place greater trust in his QB. You'll recall when they went it was about this time we started  hearing about their up-tempo play. That it was really about getting up the LOS before the mic cut out, so that McVay could see what the defense was in, not the QB. It was then he would tell Goff what play to run. It was reported he did the same thing with Kirk Cousins in Washington. Who knows, I suppose, but something tells me, don't do that with this QB. 

I also think Goff was a throw in, that's partly why Detroit got all those picks. The Rams get to unload Goff, which was probably the only way a deal gets done.   

Edited by markrc99
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

Very fair and that may well be the difference.  If Stafford doesn't have to have the whole thing on his shoulders then maybe that's what helps him take the next step.  Totally fair point.  Not many people can be Mahomes, Brady, Rogers type players that can put the entire team on their back. 

Your evaluation of Stafford seems way off.   He's been inconsistent sure... but saying he can't put the team on his back and win is a load of bollocks.  The dude has the 7th most comeback wins of any QB in the history of the league; tied with John Elway.  One of them with a broken ******** collarbone.

He has elite arm strength and more athletic then he gets credit for.  He's been plagued by poor coaching and management.  You saying you wouldn't want him as more than your back up is baffling.  There were 8 teams that made an offer of, at least, a first round pick. 

Edited by Gabbed
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard not to root for Stafford after a decade of being a good solider on some terrible teams.

Like has been said, I don't understand exactly how the Rams continue to work but they do.  Donald and Ramsey are great but the offense last year looked to me like a dumpster fire and instead they were actually not terrible.  The defense on the whole is obviously great despite what I perceived to be some weaknesses aside from the big two.  

I suspect they'll make the playoffs again next year and have undoubtedly improved the QB position.

From a fantasy prospective, the big winner it seems to me is DeAndre Swift.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...