NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Matthew Stafford 2020 Outlook

CamNewton

26 minutes ago, Nap Time said:

Please re-read my post.

I was looking at Stafford's 2019 numbers and projecting what he will do in 2021.

Lions 2021 personnel is irrelevant to my post and this thread.

Okay, well I don't really understand why you're mixing and matching his 2019 stats and WR personnel on the Lions with what you're projecting for him in 2021 and his weapons on the Rams.  But either way I disagree that his 2021 Rams WRs are a downgrade from his 2019 Lions WRs, but that's my opinion and I guess it differs from yours.  Either way, even if I simply stipulated the Rams WRs are a downgrade, it's a minor one.  It's not like Stafford's going to the Pats where aside from nearly dead Edelman and a promising but still raw (and likely WR2 ceiling) guy like Jakobi Meyers is all he'd have. 

5 hours ago, Nap Time said:

In 2019, Stafford was on pace for 5000 yards / 38 TD / 10 INT when he got injured.  That would have made him the #2 QB overall behind Lamar Jackson.

Moving to the Rams gives him a slight talent downgrade at receiver but an obvious upgrade in game-planning and play calling.  What about volume?  Tough call.

People do forget that about his 2019 season. I don't think it's a downgrade at receiver at all. But as above poster pointed out their D was bad whereas the Rams have best D (or one of) in the league, so game scripts will be a lot different. Still can put up great #s but think will be hard to match the $s above.

Let me tell you right now - This dude is mentally soft and will fall apart under the pressure of expectations. His team is now expected to win, and he knows it. That will have a negative effect on him. I see him going One and Done, losing the 1st playoff game as a favorite. The Rams will regret this trade. This is a mental midget who faced 0 pressure, 0 expectations for 12 years and still folded like a lawn chair every time they needed him most. Now there's pressure/expectations laid on him? Oh boy.

45 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

Let me tell you right now - This dude is mentally soft and will fall apart under the pressure of expectations. His team is now expected to win, and he knows it. That will have a negative effect on him. I see him going One and Done, losing the 1st playoff game as a favorite. The Rams will regret this trade. This is a mental midget who faced 0 pressure, 0 expectations for 12 years and still folded like a lawn chair every time they needed him most. Now there's pressure/expectations laid on him? Oh boy.

I've got the Rams kicker. That is gold with a wuss like Stafford who, with Calvin Johnson, would fail miserable inside the redzone. With him, you throw it up and let Calvin score. he was too dumb to figure that out.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PisEdiRin said:

I think you’ve made your point in this thread

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jumper said:

Slightly off-topic for Stafford, but Megatron just elected to Hall of Fame.  Hard to argue that Stafford didn't contribute just a bit to that. 

Megatron was the greatest WR prospect of all time. #2 overall pick in his draft and should have been #1. In a vacuum, Megatron is a Hall of Famer on his own. He was that talented coming into the NFL.