NBC Sports Edge Forums

Matthew Stafford 2020 Outlook

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Matthew Stafford reportedly out for Lions, ends consecutive starts streak at 136 games (Nov 2019) Eh? Stafford has a great reciving corps, TE, and will be in shoot-outs all year. Agreed he'l

Sean Peyton isn't going to let his golden boy go. Like it or not, Hill is your opening day QB for the Saints in 2021.  Plenty of suitors for Stafford. Niners already in the mix. I'm going to semi

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Shutting him down ROS has to be the most likely outcome, right? They're going to risk killing him just to hurt your draft position? Why?!

It's difficult to say for sure, but I'd bet he sits Sunday. Which means that they will likely be playing even more from behind. The Titans will lean on feeding Henry and killing the clock. I was originally playing Tannehill over Watson this week, but given the likelihood of a blowout, clock managed game from TEN, I'm swapping back to Watson. At least Watson has some rushing upside and will likely be making plays to engage his WRs to keep from getting injured since their playoff hopes are dead.

• Like 1

Looks like he'll play again this week. Does the lack of a coach hurt Stafford at all. I assume the Lions will be down double digits 85% of the game, so he'll have to sling it. I imagine they'll just be running the normal offense, right?

2 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Looks like he'll play again this week. Does the lack of a coach hurt Stafford at all. I assume the Lions will be down double digits 85% of the game, so he'll have to sling it. I imagine they'll just be running the normal offense, right?

Same idea here. Tampa will send all of their receiving weapons out and they will be behind soon. He has to throw. Only fear is the rib thing. 

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TTo34 said:

Good. Depending on where he lands he could be a bargain at QB. I'd definitely consider taking him as a QB1 depending on where he ends up. My vote is NO. They could send Taysom and a bunch of other crap up to loser-ville.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

Good. Depending on where he lands he could be a bargain at QB. I'd definitely consider taking him as a QB1 depending on where he ends up. My vote is NO. They could send Taysom and a bunch of other crap up to loser-ville.

Sean Peyton isn't going to let his golden boy go. Like it or not, Hill is your opening day QB for the Saints in 2021. 

Plenty of suitors for Stafford. Niners already in the mix. I'm going to semi-boldly predict he goes to the Broncos. 

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Sean Peyton isn't going to let his golden boy go. Like it or not, Hill is your opening day QB for the Saints in 2021. 

Plenty of suitors for Stafford. Niners already in the mix. I'm going to semi-boldly predict he goes to the Broncos. 

So many interesting destinations. DEN would be huge. IND, PHI and WAS are also interesting imo.

• Like 1

IDK.  I used to be a big Stafford guy and for all intents and purposes he did just fine for me when I had him stacked with Megatron, but he's just that guy who always has more potential than realized results it feels like, both in real life and in fantasy.  If he goes to Indy does he really take them over the top?  I don't think so.   Phily is going to eat him alive the first time he puts a string together of some meh to bad games.   I guess the 9ers might be the best spot for him but really regardless of where he goes I wouldn't want him to be my QB1. 

9 minutes ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

IDK.  I used to be a big Stafford guy and for all intents and purposes he did just fine for me when I had him stacked with Megatron, but he's just that guy who always has more potential than realized results it feels like, both in real life and in fantasy.  If he goes to Indy does he really take them over the top?  I don't think so.   Phily is going to eat him alive the first time he puts a string together of some meh to bad games.   I guess the 9ers might be the best spot for him but really regardless of where he goes I wouldn't want him to be my QB1. 

I'm convinced at this point that DET is where good players go to end their careers. DET has no clue as to how to compete in the NFL and really ought to just secede from the league - sell their team to another owner in another city and count their money. 2 HOFers retired rather than play another day for this franchise. Stafford at least can be traded.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

I'm convinced at this point that DET is where good players go to end their careers. DET has no clue as to how to compete in the NFL and really ought to just secede from the league - sell their team to another owner in another city and count their money. 2 HOFers retired rather than play another day for this franchise. Stafford at least can be traded.

that's fair..maybe a new team unlocks that next level.

Colts are IMO the obvious choice as it was for Rivers. Great OL, good D, good run game...Colts are stupid if they don't make this move, esp if they instead sign a loser like Wentz lol

I think this is a smart move by the Lions regardless but I wonder how much Stafford’s health is a factor. Hasn’t he broken his back two seasons in a row now? A broken back is no joke. 

1 hour ago, FreakFries said:

I think this is a smart move by the Lions regardless but I wonder how much Stafford’s health is a factor. Hasn’t he broken his back two seasons in a row now? A broken back is no joke. 

He had broken bones in his back in 2019, supposedly was completely healed, obviously back injuries always something to have some concern about but his injuries in 2020 were not back related.

Edited by Joe Mama
51 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

#1 overall pick in 2009.

12 years in the NFL.

0 Playoff Wins

Stat Pad-ford was a Bust in Detroit. This cannot be argued. 

Well then, consider that topic squarely up for debate. 🤪

15 hours ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

53 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

#1 overall pick in 2009.

12 years in the NFL.

0 Playoff Wins

Stat Pad-ford was a Bust in Detroit. This cannot be argued. 

Yeah, agree.  There are some ardent Stafford defenders here on the forums, I know.  I've always been of the mindset that this guy made his dough by tossing jump balls up to Megatron.  Great players elevate the play of those around him.  You can argue all you want about how he had relative crap playing around him all these years, and I would agree.  But Tom Brady didn't always have great options in New England, but somehow that team was always competitive offensively.  Was it the system?  Perhaps.  So was Stafford just unlucky to be drafted to a team that has never done anything?  Perhaps.  But he's also never shown anything more.  Buffalo was nothing several years ago.  Look at them now with Josh Allen this year.  That's somebody who really has made the team around him better and competitive.

I won't be excited to have him as my QB1 wherever he ends up.  New system.  33 years old next year.  Frequently injured (although admittedly tough as nails).  I'd rather take my shots with one of the high upside young guys.  

He's a good bye week replacement option in my opinion.