NBC Sports Edge Forums

Matthew Stafford 2020 Outlook

16 minutes ago, CooL said:

Yeah, agree.  There are some ardent Stafford defenders here on the forums, I know.  I've always been of the mindset that this guy made his dough by tossing jump balls up to Megatron.  Great players elevate the play of those around him.  You can argue all you want about how he had relative crap playing around him all these years, and I would agree.  But Tom Brady didn't always have great options in New England, but somehow that team was always competitive offensively.  Was it the system?  Perhaps.  So was Stafford just unlucky to be drafted to a team that has never done anything?  Perhaps.  But he's also never shown anything more.  Buffalo was nothing several years ago.  Look at them now with Josh Allen this year.  That's somebody who really has made the team around him better and competitive.

I won't be excited to have him as my QB1 wherever he ends up.  New system.  33 years old next year.  Frequently injured (although admittedly tough as nails).  I'd rather take my shots with one of the high upside young guys.  

He's a good bye week replacement option in my opinion.  

Go back and watch the Lions Bucs game. Look at how that Lions team performed with a serviceable backup on the field. That team was an utter utter disaster. Worst defense in the NFL. Marvin Jones was the number 1 WR. Bad coaching. Bad playcalling. The fact that the team didn't go 0-16 is a testament to how solid Stafford still is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Matthew Stafford reportedly out for Lions, ends consecutive starts streak at 136 games (Nov 2019) Eh? Stafford has a great reciving corps, TE, and will be in shoot-outs all year. Agreed he'l

Sean Peyton isn't going to let his golden boy go. Like it or not, Hill is your opening day QB for the Saints in 2021.  Plenty of suitors for Stafford. Niners already in the mix. I'm going to semi

Posted Images

2 hours ago, PisEdiRin said:

#1 overall pick in 2009.

12 years in the NFL.

0 Playoff Wins

Stat Pad-ford was a Bust in Detroit. This cannot be argued. 

This post is a joke. This cannot be argued. 

Have you ever even watched him or the team play? I'm pretty sure it takes a whole team to win games. Stafford isn't elite but he's a very good QB. 

7 minutes ago, bomont said:

Have you ever even watched him or the team play? I'm pretty sure it takes a whole team to win games. Stafford isn't elite but he's a very good QB. 

You must not be familiar with the poster you quoted. He believes that NFL win/losses are 100% the result of QB play and nothing else is even a factor. 

42 minutes ago, bomont said:

12 years in NFL, 0 playoff Wins

Not a franchise QB.

Keep making excuses.

34 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

You must not be familiar with the poster you quoted. He believes that NFL win/losses are 100% the result of QB play and nothing else is even a factor. 

Yeah, I never said that. It's sad that you need to resort to making things up and blatantly lying.

15 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

Yeah, I never said that. It's sad that you need to resort to making things up and blatantly lying.

The hell you didn't! You argued Trubisky is a better QB than Watson because he has a better record. You said wins/losses isn't a team stat, it's a QB stat. You said good QBs will win games no matter what the rest of the team looks like. "No excuses". 

On 1/16/2021 at 1:58 PM, PisEdiRin said:

Yeah, exactly the point. Even Trubisky has a better record than Watson. Trubisky! Thank you for further proving my point. LOL

On 1/16/2021 at 3:35 PM, PisEdiRin said:

The QB is the only position on the field who is assigned a W/L record, for a reason. 

All the other great QBs are winning most of their games....if Watson wants to be considered great, he needs to be held to the same standard.

On 1/16/2021 at 3:54 PM, PisEdiRin said:

Great QBs WIN. No excuses.

On 1/16/2021 at 3:51 PM, PisEdiRin said:

Football in Year 2020/2021 is no longer "the ultimate team sport"

It used to be that way. Not anymore.

This league has turned into a full blown QB League.

Great QBs win in 2020 NFL. Great QBs take control of games, they dictate the tempo and flow of the game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, fluffy69 said:

Bring him to Indy....watch how quickly that changes lol.

Agreed. Rivers took this team to the playoffs - Stafford is a far superior QB to Rivers at this stage. Both are prolific INT-throwers but the Colt D is now an equalizer. I have my doubts about Hilton in spite of his late pulse-showing. Colts need to upgrade WR and hope Pittman builds on a decent first year assuming Staff goes there imo.

12 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Agreed. Rivers took this team to the playoffs - Stafford is a far superior QB to Rivers at this stage. Both are prolific INT-throwers but the Colt D is now an equalizer. I have my doubts about Hilton in spite of his late pulse-showing. Colts need to upgrade WR and hope Pittman builds on a decent first year assuming Staff goes there imo.

Yes, I can agree with all of that. Pittman will be fine, TY will need to be pretty team friendly to stick. Overall, I was impressed with his late surge...but he can't be an alpha wideout for a contending team. My guess would be free agency and possibly Golliday or Robinson or Godwin. More time in the pocket with solid pass blocking and a good run game will work wonders regarding a qb's interception count.

20 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Disagree.  It's more of a sidegrade than anything.  Stafford won't take this team any further than Rivers did.

8 minutes ago, kdko said:

Disagree.  It's more of a sidegrade than anything.  Stafford won't take this team any further than Rivers did.

33 year old Stafford, if healthy, is a much better QB than 38-39 year old Rivers. It's a significant upgrade. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, kdko said:

Disagree more, there are no guarantees in the playoffs but it’s easily an upgrade. Probably in the 7-9 range as far as QB’s in the league right now, how that is not an upgrade is beyond me. Stafford > Tannehill, Lamar etc 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, ajs723 said:

33 year old Stafford, if healthy, is a much better QB than 38-39 year old Rivers. It's a significant upgrade. 

Not really.  Stafford is not a significant upgrade to Rivers in any metric.  What Stafford has in age, he lacks for in football acumen.

2 minutes ago, CroNY said:

Disagree more, there are no guarantees in the playoffs but it’s easily an upgrade. Probably in the 7-9 range as far as QB’s in the league right now, how that is not an upgrade is beyond me. Stafford > Tannehill, Lamar etc 

7-9?  You're out of your mind.

Just now, kdko said:

Not really.  Stafford is not a significant upgrade to Rivers in any metric.  What Stafford has in age, he lacks for in football acumen.

Their statistics were almost dead even in 2020. The metric that proves Stafford is the better QB is surrounding talent. Look at what Stafford had to work with last season. Awful coaching. No real weapons. Bad line. No running game. Terrible defense. Rivers on that Lions team would have had a disaster of a season. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, kdko said:

7-9?  You're out of your mind.

Naw, 9 seems fair unless you’re putting guys like Derek Carr, mayfield , Lamar, Tannehill in front of him then to me you’re out of your mind... I’m sure if you polled actual NFL gms they’d agree with me but you’re entitled to your opinion 👍 

2 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Their statistics were almost dead even in 2020. The metric that proves Stafford is the better QB is surrounding talent. Look at what Stafford had to work with last season. Awful coaching. No real weapons. Bad line. No running game. Terrible defense. Rivers on that Lions team would have had a disaster of a season. 

All i'm saying is it's not some huge upgrade at the position.  I don't think this is the fit that somehow gets the Colts over the hump.  If he were signed to the colts, for all fantasy intents and purposes he probably has a good year, but they'll underperform again in real life like they did this year.

16 minutes ago, sSektor said:

If I were to rank landing spots for his fantasy value next season it would be:

1. Broncos

2. Rams

3. 9ers

4. Panthers

5. Colts

Why so high on the Broncos??  I think a healthy 49'ers team is a damn near perfect team to land a franchise QB on. 

10 minutes ago, sSektor said:

If I were to rank landing spots for his fantasy value next season it would be:

1. Broncos

2. Rams

3. 9ers

4. Panthers

5. Colts

I can't see how Colts aren't #1, or at worst a 1A/1B with the Broncos.  Indy has the better OL and a lot more cap space, and DEN the better WRs. Both could use an upgrade at other skill positions.  I'd also say Rams should be at the bottom of the list, they're already $30mm over the cap for 2021 plus are saddled with Goff's enormously bloated contract and a huger dead money cap hit if they cut him.  He'd be an upgrade for them, but it's fiscally impossible for them to make happen IMHO.

1 hour ago, kdko said:

All i'm saying is it's not some huge upgrade at the position.  I don't think this is the fit that somehow gets the Colts over the hump.  If he were signed to the colts, for all fantasy intents and purposes he probably has a good year, but they'll underperform again in real life like they did this year.

If the Colts sign Stafford, I'd consider calling them the second best team in the conference. Either them, or Buffalo. 

1 hour ago, kdko said:

I think you're overestimating Rivers this past year and underestimating Stafford.  Stafford has had some injuries over the last couple years so that's a bit of a concern but if he's healthy it's a pretty significant upgrade from 2020 Rivers.