NBC Sports Edge Forums

Matthew Stafford 2020 Outlook

Just now, Joe Mama said:

I think you're overestimating Rivers this past year and underestimating Stafford.  Stafford has had some injuries over the last couple years so that's a bit of a concern but if he's healthy it's a pretty significant upgrade from 2020 Rivers.

Agree to disagree

• Like 1
  • Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Matthew Stafford reportedly out for Lions, ends consecutive starts streak at 136 games (Nov 2019) Eh? Stafford has a great reciving corps, TE, and will be in shoot-outs all year. Agreed he'l

Sean Peyton isn't going to let his golden boy go. Like it or not, Hill is your opening day QB for the Saints in 2021.  Plenty of suitors for Stafford. Niners already in the mix. I'm going to semi

Posted Images

16 hours ago, jumper said:

I can't see how Colts aren't #1, or at worst a 1A/1B with the Broncos.  Indy has the better OL and a lot more cap space, and DEN the better WRs. Both could use an upgrade at other skill positions.  I'd also say Rams should be at the bottom of the list, they're already $30mm over the cap for 2021 plus are saddled with Goff's enormously bloated contract and a huger dead money cap hit if they cut him.  He'd be an upgrade for them, but it's fiscally impossible for them to make happen IMHO.

I was just talking in terms of fantasy impact for Stafford not so much real life NFL success. Broncos weapons are clearly better, they would probably run less, and their defense is worse so Stafford would probably throw more. Seems like the ideal spot to me before seeing the offseason changes.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, kdko said:

Agree to disagree

Chargers released Rivers last year and he generated minimal interest. Stafford is going to generate interest from multiple teams and prob get a first pick in return if not a bit more. 

If the Pats traded the 15th pick for him I'd be thrilled. Our starting QB threw 8 touchdowns last year. Will need to sign playmakers too as we have zero 

57 minutes ago, fingers said:

If the Pats traded the 15th pick for him I'd be thrilled. Our starting QB threw 8 touchdowns last year. Will need to sign playmakers too as we have zero 

Bill is probably going to get Jimmy G for less.

1 hour ago, sSektor said:

Bill is probably going to get Jimmy G for less.

I'll take Jimmy G all day too although his fragility is a concern. Ability to stay on the field is an underrated stat.

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, fingers said:

I'll take Jimmy G all day too although his fragility is a concern. Ability to stay on the field is an underrated stat.

If Jimmy G was so great SF who is a contending team wouldn’t be trying to get rid of him.

4 hours ago, Joe Mama said:

Chargers released Rivers last year and he generated minimal interest. Stafford is going to generate interest from multiple teams and prob get a first pick in return if not a bit more. 

That's an argument that doesn't mean anything.  Every year the QB's that are entering free agency and team needs are completely different.

1 hour ago, fingers said:

I don't want them to get Jimmy at all I just think it's the most likely outcome. Stafford seems like a pipe dream for the Pats.

2 hours ago, Joe Mama said:

If Jimmy G was so great SF who is a contending team wouldn’t be trying to get rid of him.

Jimmy G is a better QB than Stat Pad-ford.

Jimmy G had his team up 10 points over the Chiefs Dynasty with 10 minutes left in the Super Bowl. Stafford would have never gotten the 2019 Niners that far, not even close.

Head Coach Kyle Shanahan, who is extremely overrated, has proven that he cannot win games in the NFL without Jimmy.

I don't understand all the hate he gets. He is an excellent field general QB.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Joe Mama said:

If Stafford was so great, Detroit wouldn't have already decided to get rid of him.

• Haha 2
50 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

If Stafford was so great, Detroit wouldn't have already decided to get rid of him.

This was a mutual decision. Losers that they are, the Fords are going to listen to a guy that's been there over a decade asking out - it's the "honorable" thing to do to agree to trade him at this point in his career - as long as another team is willing to take on that contract. Maybe you know something no one else does because that is what I read back when this was announced - sounds reasonable to me. The Lions know they're going to be in a re-build - it would help more for Stafford to actually play out his contract while they develop an early-pick QB.

It's a complicated world out there man.

2 hours ago, kdko said:

That's an argument that doesn't mean anything.  Every year the QB's that are entering free agency and team needs are completely different.

Rivers was released.

59 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

No, Detroit is rebuilding, SF has a chance to compete with a good QB.

1 hour ago, PisEdiRin said:

Jimmy G is a better QB than Stat Pad-ford.

Jimmy G had his team up 10 points over the Chiefs Dynasty with 10 minutes left in the Super Bowl. Stafford would have never gotten the 2019 Niners that far, not even close.

Head Coach Kyle Shanahan, who is extremely overrated, has proven that he cannot win games in the NFL without Jimmy.

I don't understand all the hate he gets. He is an excellent field general QB.

I knew I was forgetting something in my response to another post - I usually like to be efficient. 

I'm more positive about Jimmy than most on these boards. But the jury is definitely not in yet on how good this guy actually is. Call Shanahan "overrated" all you like - there is a reason he only had Jimmy attempt a total of 8 or so passes in the playoffs last year. Maybe Shanahan is a serious p***y, or maybe Jimmy's got a problem. He may have never been healthy this year granted. But when he was he was no better than Mullens - and then he got hurt. For Jimmy's sake I hope he goes back to NE jmo.

26 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

I knew I was forgetting something in my response to another post - I usually like to be efficient. 

I'm more positive about Jimmy than most on these boards. But the jury is definitely not in yet on how good this guy actually is. Call Shanahan "overrated" all you like - there is a reason he only had Jimmy attempt a total of 8 or so passes in the playoffs last year. Maybe Shanahan is a serious p***y, or maybe Jimmy's got a problem. He may have never been healthy this year granted. But when he was he was no better than Mullens - and then he got hurt. For Jimmy's sake I hope he goes back to NE jmo.

Little talked about fact:

The 2019 Niners had a higher Passing DVOA than Rushing DVOA. They were literally better at Passing the ball than Running the ball. Jimmy did this with a rookie WR (Deebo) and an average veteran WR acquired midseason (E Sanders)

Jimmy G is one of the most underrated QBs in football. 

3 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

Little talked about fact:

The 2019 Niners had a higher Passing DVOA than Rushing DVOA. They were literally better at Passing the ball than Running the ball. Jimmy did this with a rookie WR (Deebo) and an average veteran WR acquired midseason (E Sanders)

Jimmy G is one of the most underrated QBs in football. 

Yeah yeah - jury's OUT. Go ahead and bookmark this - you could be the new Miss Cleo and need proof.

48 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

Yeah yeah - jury's OUT. Go ahead and bookmark this - you could be the new Miss Cleo and need proof.

Oh, if he turns out to be right he will certainly call you out.

FWIW, I don't think Garoppolo is a bad QB. His numbers in his only full season were solid (4000/27/13) but not spectacular, he did take them to a SB but on one of the most run heavy teams.

Was he worth the 135M contract they gave him? Would you give him 54M for the next 2 seasons, or would you release/trade him at a minimal cap hit?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

FWIW, I don't think Garoppolo is a bad QB. His numbers in his only full season were solid (4000/27/13) but not spectacular, he did take them to a SB but on one of the most run heavy teams.

Was he worth the 135M contract they gave him? Would you give him 54M for the next 2 seasons, or would you release/trade him at a minimal cap hit?

heh - I'd say the answer is clear. He'll be on a different team next year hell or high water. He needs to go to the right place. That place is NE imo - back to the coach that developed him in the first place. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

I would be surprised if he isn’t on the Patriots next year. Cap hit is like 2.5 million if 49ers cut him. If 49ers couldn’t get Stafford I have predicted them drafting Trey Lance, with Nick Mullens as the early starter. Not saying that will happen but it is a guess I came up with when I mapped out every team and back up situation. As and added bonus for you, I have Fitz in WFT as early or full season starter with them also drafting Zach Wilson as a long term QB.  

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

If 49ers couldn’t get Stafford

(Since technically this is the Stafford thread and Jimmy G should bugger off to his own thread)

I don't think that's a bad idea. I'm not a Stafford fan, but I think that would be a good team and good organisation for him.

7 hours ago, sSektor said:

I don't want them to get Jimmy at all I just think it's the most likely outcome. Stafford seems like a pipe dream for the Pats.

Whether the Pats get Stafford, Jimmy G, Joe Montana or even Tom Brady... they will all suck unless the Pats get some better weapons at WR and TE... Im caring more what we do at skill position at this point. If the QB has nobody to throw it to then whats the point. That said...im leaning JimmyG cause Hoodie loves him.

14 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Whether the Pats get Stafford, Jimmy G, Joe Montana or even Tom Brady... they will all suck unless the Pats get some better weapons at WR and TE... Im caring more what we do at skill position at this point. If the QB has nobody to throw it to then whats the point. That said...im leaning JimmyG cause Hoodie loves him.

I don't see Pats surrendering both draft picks and the cap space it would take to get Stafford, although I might wind up being completely wrong.

Pats have lots of cap room ($57mm) so their non-QB skill position problems are fixable.  Pick up JimmyG if the Niners cut him, add ARob in free agency, draft a weapon like TE Kyle Pitts (ideal) or Jaylen Waddle (still good) in the 1st, hope a quality starter LB falls for them in the 2nd.  Then wait for an inevitable player to linger in FA and get him for a discount (Corey Davis would be great as a WR2, or maybe Jonnu Smith as your TE1 if Pitts gets taken early), and boom you're in business as a wild-card level team. 

17 minutes ago, jumper said:

I don't see Pats surrendering both draft picks and the cap space it would take to get Stafford, although I might wind up being completely wrong.

Pats have lots of cap room ($57mm) so their non-QB skill position problems are fixable.  Pick up JimmyG if the Niners cut him, add ARob in free agency, draft a weapon like TE Kyle Pitts (ideal) or Jaylen Waddle (still good) in the 1st, hope a quality starter LB falls for them in the 2nd.  Then wait for an inevitable player to linger in FA and get him for a discount (Corey Davis would be great as a WR2, or maybe Jonnu Smith as your TE1 if Pitts gets taken early), and boom you're in business as a wild-card level team. 

Let’s execute on this plan immediately. Respect my authoritaaahh! 🤣