NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Matthew Stafford 2020 Outlook

CamNewton

5 hours ago, jumper said:

Pick up JimmyG if the Niners cut him

This might be slightly optimistic, there will certainly be some trade. I don't think the 49ers will simply put him out with the trash. A first would seem a reasonable price, especially if they also need to dish out for Stafford (or a similar player).

4 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

This might be slightly optimistic, there will certainly be some trade. I don't think the 49ers will simply put him out with the trash. A first would seem a reasonable price, especially if they also need to dish out for Stafford (or a similar player).

If the 49ers expect a first for Jimmy G then they'll be cutting him eventually. No one is going to do that. The Pats will be interested and I'm sure they wouldn't offer that. I doubt the Lions are interested in Jimmy G, but if they get him in exchange for Stafford damn straight they need the Lions' 1st pick and probably some more haha.

Jimmy's damaged good right now - he's as cheap as he'll ever be imo.

22 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Really? Save 20 million in a down cap year? 🤔

23 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

There is on thing you are right about. They will outright cut him. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

I would be absolutely shocked if Jimmy G could fetch a first, no shot IMO. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Jimmy's damaged good right now - he's as cheap as he'll ever be imo.

2 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Really? Save 20 million in a down cap year? 🤔

22 minutes ago, CroNY said:

I would be absolutely shocked if Jimmy G could fetch a first, no shot IMO. 

Yeah fair enough. Especially when it's clear enough to everyone what will happen, that first won't be coming. I don't think he'll be free, but the final price will depend on the number of teams interested.

7 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Yeah fair enough. Especially when it's clear enough to everyone what will happen, that first won't be coming. I don't think he'll be free, but the final price will depend on the number of teams interested.

How many teams are interested?

23 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

How many teams are interested?

Well, I haven't spoken to all the GMs yet, but some teams that the 49ers are probably on the line with could include Washington, Bears, Panthers, Eagles, Giants, Bengals, maybe the Broncos. I think Garroppolo might be seen as an upgrade in all of those teams; in some cases to bolster the bench and make sure you have a fallback for the young kid if he chokes, in other cases to move forward. 

Jimmy might have to agree to a pay cut too btw,

2 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Jimmy 

Also, in order for me not to dig a deeper hole and make myself look more stupid (I already found an article online saying that the 49ers will be lucky to get a 4th), let's switch back to the Stafford thread ;)

9 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Also, in order for me not to dig a deeper hole and make myself look more stupid (I already found an article online saying that the 49ers will be lucky to get a 4th), let's switch back to the Stafford thread ;)

I think a 4th is probably about right. Remember the Pats traded him the Niners for a 2nd, before we all got a long look at him as a starter.  Seems with the trade action around guys like Stafford, that NFL teams are starting to behave a bit like fantasy football teams, where if you don't have a top 3 option at a position then you're looking to trade up for one.  In 1QB fantasy leagues, that basically means either you have Kelce on your team or you're at a distinct disadvantage to win the league, in real-life NFL if you don't have a Mahomes or Watson type QB then you're looking to get one.  Teams who have a above average to good QB like Stafford or Ryan have all been in the news as considering moving on from those guys. 

Stat Pad-ford has done absolutely nothing in his career to suggest that he is a better QB than Jimmy G.

Jimmy G >>>>>> Stat Pad-ford

That would literally be a backwards move for the Niners. They would be getting worse at QB.

The goal is to get better, not worse. 

Edited by PisEdiRin

1 minute ago, PisEdiRin said:

He is what he is.

When he wins something and stops padding his stats in losses, the narrative won't change.

I’m aware of that - and that’s what bothers me.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 3:07 PM, ajs723 said:

The hell you didn't! You argued Trubisky is a better QB than Watson because he has a better record. You said wins/losses isn't a team stat, it's a QB stat. You said good QBs will win games no matter what the rest of the team looks like. "No excuses". 

You keep moving the goal posts.

At no point did I say what you quoted me as saying. I never said "Wins and Losses are 100% solely on the QB". That's what you said that I said. But I never said such a thing.

By the way....ever heard of the saying "The cream eventually rises to the top"?....yeah, try applying that to NFL QBs. Learn something.

Edited by PisEdiRin

56 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

You keep moving the goal posts.

At no point did I say what you quoted me as saying. I never said "Wins and Losses are 100% solely on the QB". That's what you said that I said. But I never said such a thing.

By the way....ever heard of the saying "The cream eventually rises to the top"?....yeah, try applying that to NFL QBs. Learn something.

You literally said good QBs win. "No excuses". Please explain what that means if it doesn't mean that QBs single handedly win games no matter how bad the team is around them. I'm really honestly trying, but that's literally the only way I can interpret your point. 

4 hours ago, PisEdiRin said:

Stat Pad-ford has done absolutely nothing in his career to suggest that he is a better QB than Jimmy G.

Jimmy G >>>>>> Stat Pad-ford

That would literally be a backwards move for the Niners. They would be getting worse at QB.

The goal is to get better, not worse. 

Noone really wants Jimmy G, lots of teams want Stafford. That seems odd if Jimmy G >>>>>> Stat Pad Ford.

14 minutes ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

Stafford and Goff the first day of training camp if Stafford ends up on the Rams. 

spacer.png

Not sure if I'm higher on Stafford or lower on Goff, but this doesn't apply, imo. Stafford would be a great upgrade for the Rams. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Joe Mama said:

Noone really wants Jimmy G, lots of teams want Stafford. That seems odd if Jimmy G >>>>>> Stat Pad Ford.

That's what the media wants you to believe.

The media picks and chooses which QBs to gush over and which QBs to hate on. Jimmy G has always been on the side of being hated on by the media. 

I know that Bill Belichick wanted Jimmy G and loved the guy, and essentially tanked the 2017 SB to get back at Rob Kraft for forcing him to trade Jimmy.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

The media picks and chooses which QBs to gush over and which QBs to hate on. Jimmy G has always been on the side of being hated on by the media. 

I know that Bill Belichick wanted Jimmy G and loved the guy, and essentially tanked the 2017 SB to get back at Rob Kraft for forcing him to trade Jimmy.

Please never stop posting. These takes are gold!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

LOLOL What???!  O man I really need to hear how you know this. 

• Thanks 3

57 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

Omg Mind Blown GIF by SYFY

Coffee Wow GIF by Starbucks

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47dofbt2mdvqmmra4lei

• Like 1
  • Haha 1