NBC Sports Edge Forums

I’d like to get this in before this thread gets locked. Julian Merryweather has my attention. That is all.

Argh! Nevermind. Threw just 2 innings. No time for that this year.

Edited by meh2
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey guys, If you are more outraged about sports teams postponing games than you are about rampant police brutality in this country, then you are very much part of the reason why these athletes fe

Presumably some percent of persons who became aware of it because of them will make sure it's something they keep in mind when it comes time to vote. Several cities have already made changes to how po

You have to wonder where we're headed here. If games are going to get canceled every single time there's some kind of incident pro sports will die right quick.

So, basically any game that didn't start at 7 o'clock seems postponed...  Yippee....  Wonder if any of the 8 PM EST or later games will end up being played at this point...

I get what they are trying to do, whether I think it will end up being meaningless in the end.  When a bunch of games have already been postponed due to a pandemic though, it kind of ends up being ridiculous when they are already struggling to get games in.

7 minutes ago, straightfire118 said:

These boycotts won’t move the needle one bit. It might actually move it backwards.

I can understand this fear, but data has yet to support it. If we jump to other sports, NASCAR has publicly supported BLM. Drew Brees and other athletes who were vocal critics even of kneeling to protest these issues have changed their mind. Can you imagine baseball, or any major sport, trying to protest BLM issues even two years ago? Or even putting BLM on the mounds like they have this year? Heck, it was news when some players were kneeling. And now they're openly boycotting games? Things are moving quickly, and it's absolutely not moving support backwards. Back in June, a NY Times poll showed support for BLM had jumped a massive amount in a two week period (around the time George Floyd protests began) - almost as much as it had in the two years prior. It seems very clear the more attention this gets the more support it gets. And bringing it firmly back into the world of baseball, that same poll showed big jumps across ALL age ranges, but far and away the biggest jump in support in the 18-34 demographic. In 2019, the MLB ballpark app was the most downloaded us sports app. The top 5 demographics (broken into 2 year chunks) using the app? Under 35. The fastest growing group of buyers through the app? Under 22. MLB wants to capture the youth market. The youth market wants BLM support by overwhelming numbers. Even if you want to take the most cynical approach to this, it's just good business to let your dream customers know they don't need to think twice about giving you money. Just as NASCAR made it clear, viewers who do not support the movement are getting the boot from the sport itself, because they're a small minority up against a massive market with money to blow on companies who appear to share their values. 

• Like 2

And it sounds like NBA may just cancel the playoffs.  Players talking about leaving the bubble etc. 1 game protest does nothing.  So who knows with MLB.  What a mess.  I made a mistake signing up for fantasy this year.

So...guess it's safe to expect not much baseball being played tomorrow or possibly in the future. That's good because I have to go to bed soon and like not to be surprised in the AM.

We're going to have individual players doing their own individual protests - maybe Y! can add a "protest list".

Dexter Fowler removed himself from the Cardinals' lineup Wednesday.

Fowler has elected to sit out in protest following the police shooting of Jacob Blake. Tommy Edman has moved to right field and Matt Carpenter has entered the lineup at third base.

RELATED: 
Aug 26, 2020, 7:55 PM ET

Looks like Aaron Judge may be hurt AGAIN. Gardner comes in to LF to start the bottom of the 6th. Frazier goes to RF. May just be Boone wanting to get better defense in LF and knowing Judge won't get up again while Frazier will.

• tonycpsu locked and unlocked this topic