NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jose Garcia 2020 Outlook

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

Could be good, pick him up if you need an SS. Was a breakout prospect last year.

I’m not a big prospect guy like you, but the reports out of spring training this year pre-pandemic caught my eye. He was really impressing. Seems like his minor league stats aren’t telling the full story on him, he’s developing quickly each year, and he might provide some mixed league value.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I’m not a big prospect guy like you, but the reports out of spring training this year pre-pandemic caught my eye. He was really impressing. Seems like his minor league stats aren’t telling the full story on him, he’s developing quickly each year, and he might provide some mixed league value.

He has power. Will play in a good lineup and park and has speed too. Good recipe for fantasy.

Just now, tywalson said:

Hasn’t played above A ball so I would keep expectations of immediate impact low.

Yeah, I don't disagree with that. SS is deep too. In deeper leagues or leagues where you can keep waiver wire guys for cheap or something, he's interesting. He's definitely one of the prospects that when you look at a normal prospect list, he's better in fantasy than real life. 

Doubleheader now tomorrow...scoooooped...

Nice long look with two game tryout tomorrow...if he flashes what he showed in the spring he might just be a sneaky great scoop... its a light day tomorrow for games too so if your league is a next day pickup type of league then now is the time to give Garcia a chance

Bell said "he's going to play."

They gave him millions already...

I'm pumped to watch him play...

Whatdya say Jose!

From back in February:

[...]Garcia could arrive to the big leagues in 2021 or ’22. But if he continues at the current pace, he could be a dynamic shortstop in the future.

“He’s a big-bodied guy, but is very agile,” Larkin said. “He’s got great feet. He’s got a lot of fast-twitch characteristics in his play. I hope he doesn’t continue to get so big. He definitely put on muscle since last year. I think as long as he keeps his agility, he’ll continue to be able to play shortstop.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/reds-jose-garcia-impressing-in-first-spring-training

Must have seen something great to fast track him...gut feeling on this...

Edited by dfstout
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Anyone know if he will be the everyday SS as long as he stays healthy?  Don’t know a lot about him..how does his skillset compare to Luis Garcia, the nats SS they recently called up?

Yes every day is what Bell says

He has more pop than Luis Garcia and he has already stole a bag after his 1st AB...all in...

15 minutes ago, dfstout said:

Yes every day is what Bell says

He has more pop than Luis Garcia and he has already stole a bag after his 1st AB...all in...

What’s the likelihood of one of the “a star is born” scenarios where a minor leaguer made huge improvements and flew under the radar only to be an All Star in the majors?

Kinda like Yordan Alvarez but of course Yordan had more fanfare in MILB

7 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

What’s the likelihood of one of the “a star is born” scenarios where a minor leaguer made huge improvements and flew under the radar only to be an All Star in the majors?

Aquino last year...but lasts longer!!!

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

Aquino probably not a major leaguer long term, this guy should be.

Agreed...Uberrebel was asking about an untouted prospect that had that "star is born" look like Garcia and Aquino last year def had that until he didnt...and theyre both Reds...but Garcia seems diff and I am excited..now if only Bell doesnt mess it up..like O not playing him in the 2nd games of double headers 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

1 hour ago, UberRebel said:

Odds are definitely low, but he's got a chance. Good lineup, good ballpark, and plenty of playing time to prove himself. Can't ask for much more from a lottery ticket.

• Like 1

Honestly has a shot to be more valuable than Yordan based on steals and having a position I guess.  He certainly isn't the hitter Yordan is, put has the potential to contribute in 5 categories.  Wouldn't bank on it for sure, but there is fantasy star potential here.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Honestly has a shot to be more valuable than Yordan based on steals and having a position I guess.  He certainly isn't the hitter Yordan is, put has the potential to contribute in 5 categories.  Wouldn't bank on it for sure, but there is fantasy star potential here.

Plus his knees work.

• Like 1

There’s a big article in the Atlantic puffing this guy. Also some of his teammates have compared the breakout they’re seeing to boegarts. Power speed middle infielder in a bandbox Park. No reason not to get in cheap.

Edited by cyberer
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, cyberer said:

There’s a big article in the Atlantic puffing this guy. Also some of his teammates have compared the breakout they’re seeing to boegarts. Power speed middle infielder in a bandbox Park. No reason not to get in cheap.

The Atlantic or The Athletic? 🤔

[...]  I was eyeballing him in a lot dynasty leagues as I had read good things about him as well.  One of the sites I do my research on projected him to be somewhere around a 20 HR/15 SB type of player if all goes right.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story